Phoenix LXXXVII: Hotel Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Its not going to happen. Cities or any form of government can not own a sports frachise anymore. Green bay packers were grandfathered in.

The Packers are not owned by the city. They are owned by a non-profit corporation which sold shares to the public.

As I said in the last thread:

kdb209 said:
What? Isn't it already impossible per bylaws to publically own a team.

Glendale doesn't even have the money to operate the team.

The NHL Constitution prohibits community ownership under the Green Bay Packers model - a non-profit corporation with shares owned by the public. An NHL team has restrictions on the sale of shares to the public - the public shares are limited to a 49% total stake and BoG approval is needed to acquire a 5+% of the shares.

There is no restriction preventing ownership of a team by a city/county or gov't owned corporation. That said, I seriously doubt that the NHL would ever approve the sale of a team to Glendale (or any city/county/gov't entity).

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't believe there will be a vote if the answer is "no".

If it comes to that, the majority could simply vote to "table" the proposal instead. Delay it along with the city hall lease and the RFP until the NHL plays its hand.

I'm not saying what the right answer is: just that if the answer is "no" there is no advantage for the majority to hold a vote at all because the same result an easily be obtained without one.

...and if the NHL pulls the plug then all councillors and the mayor are off the hook, all being able to say.....

"... It was the NHL that ripped out the hearts of fans, moving a viable and going concern out of Glendale ..." ;)

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
No one answered where did the NHL wants the deal posted by 5 pm today come from?
Yes, I did. The NHL doesn't want the deal posted by 5pm, Arizona law states that the City must table all relevant supporting documentation for public review at least 72hours prior to a vote.

Though, we aren't sure if the weekend counts in the hour total or if it's business hours only.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Yes, I did. The NHL doesn't want the deal posted by 5pm, Arizona law states that the City must table all relevant supporting documentation for public review at least 72hours prior to a vote.

Though, we aren't sure if the weekend counts in the hour total or if it's business hours only.

the weekend counts..there have been a number of times during this 4 year saga where something gets posted friday and voted on tuesday.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Originally Posted by
Daryl Jones @HedgeyeDJ
Grabbing drinks with a hockey night in Canada production legend ... Any guesses ?

Ummmm? John Shannon?

A large number of posts by Daryl "I love my wobbly pops" Jones revolve around him drinking / telling the faithful it's time for a beer. What respectable businessman tweets stuff like that?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
A large number of posts by Daryl "I love my wobbly pops" Jones revolve around him drinking / telling the faithful it's time for a beer. What respectable businessman tweets stuff like that?
That's just it, they don't.

Daryl is out of his league. *Edit* and apparently not going to be welcomed into the NHL's League either :sarcasm:

Someone should ask him how the negotiations went.

Last edited:

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
next thread
Far-Side-Damned-if-You-Do-Dont_2.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
It's 5:05 p.m. in #Glendale, and a notice for special City Council meeting on July 2 for the #Coyotes has not been posted. Hmmm...

Sherwood's publicly stated opinion is that the NHL doesn't have any options and so Glendale is in the driver's seat. So why is everybody fretting?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Sherwood's publicly stated opinion is that the NHL doesn't have any options and so Glendale is in the driver's seat. So why is everybody fretting?
Unfortunately, opinions are like *******s, we all have them, including Gary Bettman.

Sherwood could be saying that to put pressure on the NHL. Only time will tell I guess.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Speaking of property scams...

Phoenix LXXXVIII: Glengarry Glendale

:handclap:

Nice guy? I don't give a ****. Good father? **** you -- go home and play with your kids!! You wanna work here? Close!! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you **********? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with the materials you got, make myself fifteen thousand dollars! Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of *****es! Get mad!! You know what it takes to sell real estate?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
George Fallar ‏@gfallar 1h
Hey I'll stay late and type this thing up for you guys if that's the hangup @HedgeyeDJ and @anthonydleblanc and @GlendaleAZ.

Mike Sunnucks ‏@mikesunx 1h
@gfallar @HedgeyeDJ @anthonydleblanc @GlendaleAZ Parties might not have the $$$ for the copy paper to print it out on.

I will be worried about George if the Coyotes move. :| Sunnucks tho :laugh:

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
iirc, they were forced into calling the team the Jets and had to announce it at the draft because it was leaking out all over the place that weekend. It was not their plan from the outset or something

Yep. There were (rumors of) NHL Moose jerseys made up for the draft, only to be pressured into whipping together the Jets name and logos due to public persuasion.

Would have rather seen the angry moose in the NHL than the clip art Leaf/Jet logo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Unfortunately, opinions are like *******s, we all have them, including Gary Bettman.

Sherwood could be saying that to put pressure on the NHL. Only time will tell I guess.

If Sherwood doesn't know with certainty that the NHL has no viable Plan B, then he is being rather cavalier for suggesting it. Perhaps it is all posturing, but he'll look rather foolish if the NHL decides to relocate the team in the next week.

While the fate of the Coyotes seems to hang in the balance I'd like to reiterate my long-held view that if the NHL does decide to relocate the team, the last group that should be blamed is the COG. They have literally emptied their coffers to acquire and keep the team in Glendale, pushing the city to extreme financial distress in the process. It would not be the fault of the COG that the NHL kept an inflated sale price and that no owner was willing to purchase the team without huge and probably illegal subsidies. If city council votes down an RSE lease proposal that would further damage the COG's finances, then one could hardly blame city council members who voted against the deal. Blame would be more fairly fixed elsewhere.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I'll say no, because they have nowhere to go.

It's last call. Closing time. The NHL has it's sights set on a girl. The same girl. She's given mixed messages for the past four years but lately, less so. She stopped returning their calls but the NHL is still interested. Some would say obsessed. They keep trying different pick up lines but they're having no effect. It's gotten creepy. They aren't the only ones to notice her though. She also currently has a couple other offers to consider. Meanwhile there's a couple gals still on the dance floor. Not much to look at but technically they have what the NHL is looking for, not that they want to admit it, but going home alone is not an option. Do they wait around and end up with nothing or face the facts that they aren't as attractive as they thought they were and take what they can get!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad