Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City

the dome is a possibility ?? lol
wow
NN8zO.St.5.JPG

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/12/20/2410138/nba-nhl-in-tacoma-not-likely-at.html

Improbable. Unrealistic. Doubtful. Dubious.
[...]
Modernizing the Dome still wouldn’t come cheaply. A full-scale renovation would cost an estimated $184 million
[...]

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Also lurking in the background is a group led by Chicago-based investor Matthew Hulsizer and former Tampa Bay Lightning co-owner Oren Koules

I would hope the NHL wouldn't legitimately be dumb enough to sell to either of them. (Didn't Koules have issues?)

Use them to drive up a price, sure. Other than that, screw them both.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Apparently, Mr. Campbell missed the part that the new Seattle arena cannot break ground without an NBA team as per the MOU with Hansen's group. I don't see amendments being made in the next week or so. I guess he'll be surprised since the Seattle Coyotes will not be staking this fall.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'm staying all alone out on the limb and am sticking with my long-held guess that, sans a deal in Glendale, the league will likely suspend franchise operations for a year and rebirth them elsewhere versus a snap relocation done under the gun. Carry on.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Apparently, Mr. Campbell missed the part that the new Seattle arena cannot break ground without an NBA team as per the MOU with Hansen's group. I don't see amendments being made in the next week or so. I guess he'll be surprised since the Seattle Coyotes will not be staking this fall.
More to the point it won't magically appear out of tin air! Where do you play until it build.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

meh, that's the least of seattle's issues. once the team is there, the amendment would be simple. 5 years at the Tacoma Dome would be a much bigger problem

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Campbell's article boils down to what we all knew already... that the NHL would rather be in Seattle than Quebec by several degrees.

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
I'm staying all alone out on the limb and am sticking with my long-held guess that, sans a deal in Glendale, the league will likely suspend franchise operations for a year and rebirth them elsewhere versus a snap relocation done under the gun. Carry on.

Yeah sure, NHLPA will agree to that...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Does the league want to tangle with the PA on contraction when there is a viable option in QC?

I doubt that.

As for today's presser, it's tough to get a read on it.

The NHL is either trying to put pressure on CoG to cough up the current difference in AMF or the NHL is setting CoG up to take the blame.

I think too much is made of the NHL's desire to control optics. I don't think the league would be viewed negatively anywhere outside of the valley if they were to relocate to Quebec. I think it'd mostly be positive press.

There is always the concern that this may negatively impact the willingness of local government to subsidize arena construction. The thing is, that impact would likely only be felt in non traditional markets. All of those markets already have new-ish arenas. When new barns need building in the sunbelt, it will be a decade from now. This fiasco will be long forgotten.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006

This article seems contradictory.

On the one hand Ken Campbell writes:

"According to a source, there are a couple of kinks in that plan. The first is, Key Arena has taken out its ice-making equipment and cemented over the chilling system in the floor. That would leave the Tacoma Dome, which is about 30 miles south of Seattle, as a possibility. The other is that Chris Hansen, the San Francisco-based hedge fund manager who is building the new arena, is not a hockey fan, but would be amenable to having the hockey team as a second tenant in the building after a basketball team."

which would appear to be in contradiction with his conclusion which reads:

"So it seems inevitable the team will move, doesn’t it? And don’t be the least bit surprised if the Seattle Coyotes are skating to a sold out Key Arena next fall."

It's almost as if the article was clumsily edited at the last minute.

Last edited:

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Another interesting info:
According to a contractor at the Old Colisee in Quebec City, the Remparts' dressing room has been demolished last week to be upgraded to NHL standards.

So essentially, expansion is happening very soon or that the Coyotes are relocating to Quebec City this fall. The latter seems more realistic.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
The NHL is either trying to put pressure on CoG to cough up the current difference in AMF or the NHL is setting CoG up to take the blame.

Can't it be both? Attempting to coerce the GCC into dissolving the RFP process in favor of a sole-source contract might be their primary goal, but knowing now how unlikely that is, today's statement might just be a set-up to Bettman's "well, we tried" speech post Final.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The NHL can say whatever they want, including Gary's disingenuous concerns about the city. The squeeze play from Moody's is of much greater concern for Glendale. An AMF that impairs the General Fund is going to be a tough sell. And anything over $6MM is a GF impairment.

Exactly. I think the die is cast. Glendale just can't afford an AMF beyond $6 million without serious financial harm. The NHL has not been able to find an ownership group willing to purchase the team and keep them in Glendale without a much higher level of subsidy.

It's astonishingly inept that the NHL let Jamison fritter away a $300 million subsidy that was in hand, without bringing in a fresh ownership group to take advantage. If RSE was an option, the NHL should have told Jamison to paint or get off the ladder. Ironically, Jamison's failure to pull the trigger might have torpedoed the last best opportunity to get a subsidy enticing enough to facilitate a local sale.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
meh, that's the least of seattle's issues. once the team is there, the amendment would be simple. 5 years at the Tacoma Dome would be a much bigger problem

Perhaps. There was an interview with Hansen last month showing he's flexible to having the NHL first. However, the NHL owner (weather it's Levin or somewhere else) would need to put some $$$ up front for arena costs. Otherwise, Hansen/Ballmer is putting a lot of their own money up front without any current guarantee of an NBA team.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yeah sure, NHLPA will agree to that...

The NHLPA may not be happy about the Coyotes folding or suspending, but they have no say in the matter. The NHL constitution covers liquidating the assets ( players ) of a team in the case a franchise no longer has an owner and a new one can't be found. And even if there is another owner in another city, it's the BoG that has the say on franchise location, not the NHLPA.

any liquidation of players contracts shall be conducted by a dispersal draft under such procedures as voted on by a three quarter vote.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
The NHLPA may not be happy about the Coyotes folding or suspending, but they have no say in the matter. The NHL constitution covers liquidating the assets ( players ) of a team in the case a franchise no longer has an owner and a new one can't be found.

any liquidation of players contracts shall be conducted by a dispersal draft under such procedures as voted on by a three quarter vote.

Contraction is an even dumber option than moving that team to Seattle. Stop the madness.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
The NHLPA may not be happy about the Coyotes folding or suspending, but they have no say in the matter. The NHL constitution covers liquidating the assets ( players ) of a team in the case a franchise no longer has an owner and a new one can't be found.

Forget the PA with the cap shrinking no way the BOG okay a folding. Especially since they be on the hook for the debt and the interest on their credit line.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Phoenix LXXXIII: Long Road to Ruin

Here now, don't make a sound
Say, have you heard the news today?
One flag was taken down
To raise another in its place

A heavy cross you bear
A stubborn heart remains unchanged
No harm, no life, no love
No stranger singin' in your name