Phoenix LXXXII: "Waive Reading Beyond the Title"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Funny thing all of these reports of 'Seattle is ready' , 'CoG and RSE are only 5 million apart' and 'Hulsizer is interested still' have all resurfaced hours after Bettman and Daly's sabre-rattling. Though not a peep on any of these fronts before today.

The league has their media pipers in full force.

Bettman probably told Balsille that if he pretends to be interested right now he'll think about letting him back in. :sarcasm:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
If the name sounds familiar, that’s because Fortress has been a large Coyotes creditor in the past.

Question. If Fortress was a large Coyotes creditor in the past, is it possible that they are getting involved again because they weren't made whole during the bankruptcy and they are still owed money? And this is the only way they might get it back? Could be totally wrong, but just wondering.

Assuming they lost money before, they can't get their pre-2009 money back from RSE.

But if you're implying that the league "owes them one" for some reason, so the NHL let Fortress in on the deal with a higher interest rate than "normal", who knows, maybe. I wouldn't put $120 million in new money into the Coyotes just to have a shot at "getting my money back". If they're in it, it's because they think the deal makes sense for them, regardless of whether they lost money before with the same franchise but a different owner.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Key Arena dates, that were being held for an NBA team, have been freed up. Not being held for any other reason
-Deborah Daoust spokesperson for Key Arena

Chris Daniels‏@ChrisDaniels5
Deborah Daoust spokesperson for Seattle Center, says ice making equipment and chilling system at #KeyArena is still operational. #NHL

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Renauld Lavoie just said the same thing on TV.. 100% sure the team lands in Seattle..

I guess that's what the NHL said to their mouth pieces.

Seattle alright , the NHL has to have it's minions say something like that or PKP and Quebec City dictate relocation procedure to the NHL and not the other way around.:shakehead

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
I would imagine the NHL also doesn't want to blow up its scheduled re-alignment by putting another team in the East.

Agrred, that's what makes QC so unlikely to me. They don't necessarily have to go to Seattle, though. Really, anywhere outside of the Eastern time zone could work, though if it's somewhere in the Central time zone, the league would likely have to move Colorado into Phoenix's spot in the "Pacific Division" to make room.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Key arena will hold only 11,000 for hockey according to Chris Daniels - Seattle sports reporter

Daniels was less than accurate during the Sacramento NBA situation. A lot like Fallar, letting hometown pride obscure facts and reason.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Agrred, that's what makes QC so unlikely to me. They don't necessarily have to go to Seattle, though. Really, anywhere outside of the Eastern time zone could work, though if it's somewhere in the Central time zone, the league would likely have to move Colorado into Phoenix's spot in the "Pacific Division" to make room.

The NHL wont chose a market because of its geographical location. They will chose it for its quality. They can remake the conference instead of going in a deadbeat market.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

If I remember correctly, Bill Daly said during the presser today that they would reconsider the alignment if the Coyotes moved to Quebec City. The alignment is a non-issue with regard to where the Coyotes move.

Antidote

Jun 8, 2007
Victoria, BC
This is over a year old and has been posted a few times in different threads but it outlines the challenges of using Key Arena.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Concerning re-alignment:

A few thoughts:

Realignment in general has been a 'fly by the seat of your pants' operation. Those of us who followed the different options the Bettman put out, first in 2011, and then the process this year, are aware that there is no 'grand plan.' It's 30 competing sets of priorities, and who can put together the coalition to get what they want.

Then, it is clear from the Winnipeg situation that the NHL is not overly worried about 'geographical propriety.' This is not to say they shouldn't be. Rather, they aren't.

Then, let's consider PHX >> QUE. Now, 17 teams in the ETZ. 13 in the other 3 TZs. Obviously, someone is going to have to play out of zone.

Also, consider that COL in the Far West division actually would have more division-mates in their time zone than they do playing in the CTZ division. So, clearly, no big deal for COL to be with the PTZ/MTZ teams.

Can you really imagine PKP or anyone in Quebec screaming very loud at the prospect of playing mostly in the CTZ? I can't. Not ideal, of course. But, it would make the 2 MONT/QUE games real battles, wouldn't it?

Conclusion: For temporary (and remember the PA has reserved rights of review in a few years on the realignment anyway, so everything is temporary), COL goes to the Far West, and QUE plays in the Midwest division.

Again, not perfect, but also just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad