Phoenix LXXVIII: Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
So let me get this straight. Team Gosbee wants COG to give them a lease for free and also pay $15M/yr.

Well thing is, if the team leaves, how much will COG be on the hook for?
Sorry I don't keep up with all of this and not sure what AMF means or any of that.

How much does it cost COG a year to run the Arena?

Man, you are really new to this. :laugh:

CoG will be better off without the Coyotes at any arena management deal worth more than 6 million bucks. Without the Coyotes they can hire a real arena management company that will actually book events there and will cost the city a fraction of what they've been paying the NHL to "manage the arena" over the past few years.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
So let me get this straight. Team Gosbee wants COG to give them a lease for free and also pay $15M/yr.

Well thing is, if the team leaves, how much will COG be on the hook for?
Sorry I don't keep up with all of this and not sure what AMF means or any of that.

How much does it cost COG a year to run the Arena?

$6M are the published numbers. And Arizona has a law against giving gifts to private companies. So $15 is right out.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
On the Hotstove tonight, Healy was really cringing to talk about it...would rather have Milbury back on the panel. It's that bad!

He calculated (no breakdown) if the team was in QC, during the course of the current CBA, it would generate 300 million more in HRR.

Could be salvaged with a generous AMF - PLUS enhanced revenue sharing, PLUS TV revenue from NBC - PLUS revenue from the next Canadian TV deal PLUS perhaps finding a diamond mine or an oil well under the arena.

No worries, all in days not weeks of course.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wait...we've just exceeded the MPT (maximum posts per thread) :sarcasm:

Who's paying for the excess? :naughty:

J'ai un 2-7 (dépareillé), dois-je plier et prendre une bière?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
On the Hotstove tonight, Healy was really cringing to talk about it...would rather have Milbury back on the panel. It's that bad!

He calculated (no breakdown) if the team was in QC, during the course of the current CBA, it would generate 300 million more in HRR.

I loved the Milbury comment as I did the Quebec revenue comment.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/05/25/loptimisme-regne-a-glendale

Sorry, french

Sherwood: "I don't know how we could pay more then 8M".

If I understood that correctly, he's saying there is no possibility of a vote on keeping the Coyotes before June 11, right? In other words, the league's hand is being forced and they'll have to either pack up and leave before the end of May or risk having to stay for another year. At which point they would be at the mercy of whoever gets the contract to manage the arena, right?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/05/25/loptimisme-regne-a-glendale

Sorry, french

Sherwood: "I don't know how we could pay more then 8M". and "I think RSE knows about the emergency here".

Gee, gonna be interesting to watch.

Loosely translated:

"Even if it says relatively confident that the Coyotes remain in the desert, the counselor wanted to remember that the City still has some room for maneuver in negotiations.

We plan to grant $ 6 million in our budget group to manage the arena, even if there is room for discussion, I do not see how it could go much higher than $ 8 million. I feel that Mr. LeBlanc and its partners understand the urgency of the situation, "he said.

In addition to the mayor six councilors, it will take at least four out of seven votes in favor to close the deal.

With the data as we know now, we would have three votes in favor, two against and two undecided. Anything can still move in the amounts traded, "said Mr. Sherwood.

It would be devastating to our Westgate sector losing team. We do not want to become like Hartford, where even a McDonald could not remain open near the arena when the Whalers are gone."

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010

Anything else notable happen? Kind of missed the segment.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
If I understood that correctly, he's saying there is no possibility of a vote on keeping the Coyotes before June 11, right? In other words, the league's hand is being forced and they'll have to either pack up and leave before the end of May or risk having to stay for another year. At which point they would be at the mercy of whoever gets the contract to manage the arena, right?

Thats about it, yes.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Loosely translated:

"Even if it says relatively confident that the Coyotes remain in the desert, the counselor wanted to remember that the City still has some room for maneuver in negotiations.

We plan to grant $ 6 million in our budget group to manage the arena, even if there is room for discussion, I do not see how it could go much higher than $ 8 million. I feel that Mr. LeBlanc and its partners understand the urgency of the situation, "he said.

In addition to the mayor six councilors, it will take at least four out of seven votes in favor to close the deal.

With the data as we know now, we would have three votes in favor, two against and two undecided. Anything can still move in the amounts traded, "said Mr. Sherwood.

It would be devastating to our Westgate sector losing team. We do not want to become like Hartford, where even a McDonald could not remain open near the arena when the Whalers are gone."

Continued:

"According to Mr. Sherwood, no less than four meetings are scheduled Tuesday in Glendale between council members, Mayor Jerry Weiers, three members of the Renaissance Group, as well as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his deputy Bill Daly.

These meetings are important because it will be a first real confrontation between all stakeholders, but nothing will be decided at that time," he argued, stating that according to him, no final vote n ' is possible before the public meeting Tuesday, June 11

I would say we are in the last three to four weeks of this saga. If nothing is finalized by the end of June, I think the NHL is ready to go, "he floated."

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Anything else notable happen? Kind of missed the segment.

He also said that in a few days this whole debacle will have lasted longer then the First World War. Also he sighted a few times, and seemed really angry at the NHL not just wasting money, but taking money from the NBC and future Canadian TV contract and dumping it in the middle of the desert.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Wait...we've just exceeded the MPT (maximum posts per thread) :sarcasm:

Who's paying for the excess? :naughty:

LOL

We, dead souls, are all heading to Killion's jail..

go_to_jail.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would say we are in the last three to four weeks of this saga. If nothing is finalized by the end of June, I think the NHL is ready to go, "he floated."

Mr. Sherwood should probably familiarize himself with the NHL calendar. The league will not take this team into June without a lease.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Continued:

"According to Mr. Sherwood, no less than four meetings are scheduled Tuesday in Glendale between council members, Mayor Jerry Weiers, three members of the Renaissance Group, as well as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his deputy Bill Daly.

These meetings are important because it will be a first real confrontation between all stakeholders, but nothing will be decided at that time," he argued, stating that according to him, no final vote n ' is possible before the public meeting Tuesday, June 11

That's way too long of a timeline. If everything isn't set with a solid agreement, with the official vote being a formality, the NHL would have to move under these conditions.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Mr. Sherwood should probably familiarize himself with the NHL calendar. The league will not take this team into June without a lease.

They might, I have seen no proof of the contrary. However not untill the end of June, that's for sure. I think the limit will either be:

1: The end of the conference semi-final next week.

Or

2: The end of the conference finals.

I cannot see them wait untill the Stanley Cup is given!

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
With the data as we know now, we would have three votes in favor, two against and two undecided. Anything can still move in the amounts traded, "said Mr. Sherwood

I'm sure a 4th vote for yes will not be hard to get. Little kickback and its done deal.

Sure on Tuesday the league will get a clue on which way the council will vote and if it looks promising then they will wait till the June deadline. But really think the voting will take place earlier and the one on June 11 will be for show.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Continued:

Sherwood has the June bug but for the NHL it's mayday (5/31 or 6/1 midnight deadline for relocation). :laugh: Love it, June 11th. Force the NHL to play its hand before it can set up Glendale to take the wrap.

He also said that in a few days this whole debacle will have lasted longer then the First World War. Also he sighted a few times, and seemed really angry at the NHL not just wasting money, but taking money from the NBC and future Canadian TV contract and dumping it in the middle of the desert.

Is the day this Phoenix Saga ends going to be marked with a holiday? :sarcasm:

Nice line there. It gives some context to how long this has drug on. It's one thing if a debacle lasts longer than the Gulf War, but it's another thing if you're approaching a major war like World War I. One wonders, if the money pit was deeper in Glendale, could this saga have approached Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan lengths? With money no object, how long would it have taked Scruggs et al to wise up?

xzchief

May 7, 2013
They might, I have seen no proof of the contrary. However not untill the end of June, that's for sure. I think the limit will either be:

1: The end of the conference semi-final next week.

Or

2: The end of the conference finals.

I cannot see them wait untill the Stanley Cup is given!

Seems to me that the CoG knows the NHL wants to pass the blame to it for the Coyotes' impending move. The CoG may try to say later, "Look, we wanted to make a deal but the NHL's plan arrived too late. We have to follow public-meeting laws. It's not our fault the NHL moved the Coyotes without waiting for us. It's their fault."

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Really sounds like he's forcing the NHL's hand:

"We're not unreasonable people. We can only afford 6 million, but we're still willing to go as high as 8 million. But there won't be a final vote until June 11."

Presumably knowing the league can't wait that long. Sounds like he's saying Glendale is willing to go above the call of duty, knowing full well that the NHL will have to skip town by May 31. So the NHL gets the blame while the CoG looks like it made a reasonable offer and then some.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Sherwood has the June bug but for the NHL it's mayday (5/31 or 6/1 midnight deadline for relocation). :laugh: Love it, June 11th. Force the NHL to play its hand before it can set up Glendale to take the wrap.

Is the day this Phoenix Saga ends going to be marked with a holiday? :sarcasm:

Nice line there. It gives some context to how long this has drug on. It's one thing if a debacle lasts longer than the Gulf War, but it's another thing if you're approaching a major war like World War I. One wonders, if the money pit was deeper in Glendale, could this saga have approached Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan lengths? With money no object, how long would it have taked Scruggs et al to wise up?

You forgot GWI and the referendum petition.

I will be dead before this thing is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad