Phoenix LXXVIII: Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Right, not your opinion. It's an interpretation. An interpretation that ignores all revenue. A similar interpretation would conclude ExxonMobil should receive $403 billion in subsidies from the Federal government.

For the purposes of the management agreement the costs of construction are sunk. All that matters are incremental costs and revenues.

Revenues don't play into what it costs to operate a facility to a certain degree. I do facility maintenance for a living (35+ years worth) so I am looking at this purely from the costs standpoint.

Yes... you certainly need a return to offset those costs. But the question now becomes are those returns currently good enough.... or can you increase those returns without increasing the costs? Or can a small increase in costs get you a return that far exceeds those costs.

That's a totally different argument.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Many sites are now stating that the sale is Renaissance is approved by the NHL now

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...sale-approved-hurdle-remains-according-report

Though still contingent on a lease of course. Anyone know if the BoG did or can give formal approval without the lease or perhaps just its's a misinterpetation from yesterday's events?

Pretty sure they're misinterpreting "agreement" with "approval". That would make them 3 for 4 on agreements to sell, with the only failure IEH v1.0. That was the only case where the acquirer was negotiating a lease with the city before negotiating the acquisition of the franchise from the NHL.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
What does everyone think of any of Clark's posts?

I didn't like the fact she took a shot at Arthur Thurston. He's been my favorite character throughout this saga. If I had a sports talk show I would have Arthur Thurston on once a week.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Revenues don't play into what it costs to operate a facility to a certain degree. I do facility maintenance for a living (35+ years worth) so I am looking at this purely from the costs standpoint.

Yes... you certainly need a return to offset those costs. But the question now becomes are those returns currently good enough.... or can you increase those returns without increasing the costs? Or can a small increase in costs get you a return that far exceeds those costs.

Yes, you do need a certain return to offset the costs, particularly when $6 million of the $12 million total expenses are direct costs related to events. You might want some direct revenues to offset those direct costs.

edit: and some revenue to offset the allocation of Daly's salary and the allocation of the expenses of the war room in TO.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
One thing that confounds me is most of the Canadian media not giving Quebec much or any chance. Are they following the NHL spin or what? When Atlanta moved, leaks came out of Atlanta but now we have the NHL as the owner. Could the NHL be intentionally waging a war of misdirection? Personally I think yes.

Have noticed that as well. My thought is since the league wants to control message, they want the big Canadian media companies to just tow the party line until it's the right time to announce a move to QC if it happens. Anyone that steps out of line will jeopardizec their chances at the next Cdn TV deal. Just my speculation on that part.

Last thing the leagues wants is pandemonium to break up here early, just for the Yotes stay at the end. Historically, that will create bad PR in Canada which they would also like to avoid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like if his is all just an elaborate plot by the NHL to save safe, that they took it a little far with the Maloney contract. Why do that just days prior to pulling the plug? Doesn't add up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Funny....

because we all know that maybe the Majority of this council won't vote for this, but if Joyce was still on the council, she would be voting for spending "whatever-it-takes" without question.

Speculation......

She voted against Scruggs and Beasley's $100 million parking rights deal for Hulsizer. And she was on record she was not real keen on the second $25 million ("insurance premium") but felt there wasn't another alternative that would allow the team to remain there, but also added that she would not vote for a third.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like if his is all just an elaborate plot by the NHL to save safe, that they took it a little far with the Maloney contract. Why do that just days prior to pulling the plug? Doesn't add up.

It was probably with the consent of Quebec, if not well then Quebec needs to buy him out. I think it was a reward for having to deal with the NHL as owner in the previous years.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sounds about right. I would suggest that the emergency service unions are a more immediate concern than Goldwater Institute. The Council that couldn't shake loose $850k to keep fire stations open is going to exceed $6MM AMF to subsidize hockey operations? Politicians who aspire to long careers generally tread lightly around big labor. Mayor Weiers very much appears to be a politician who aspires a long career.

Weiers was backed by both police and fire unions during the elections.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

I'm pretty certain they want to stay there. They've said as much dozens and dozens of times. It's a market with a much larger profile in the U.S. and they just moved one franchise to Winnipeg. Whether it's best or not, they clearly want to stick around. The issue of course is that the other 29 owners don't want to pay to stay there. It's the same problem with the league's growth strategy, where the investment to grow the game is concentrated in a just a few franchises that have the least margin for error in their operations.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006

I was struck by how Don Maloney used the word "franchise", as opposed to "the Phoenix Coyotes", in his official statement after signing his contract.

"I am grateful to continue working for this franchise," Maloney said in the statement. "We have a strong core of talented people, both on and off the ice, who are committed to building a championship team and a first-class organization. I would like to thank NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly for their tremendous support these past few years."

What he said was generic enough in nature as to apply to an NHL team in any city.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

Unfortunately for the COG, they can't afford to focus solely on just the costs.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Since this is pretty much a done deal, I kind of feel bad for Quebec. Don't see the league expanding right now to only 1 team. So it will be a while for Quebec and that's sad.

Even with solid ownership, will the team still make enough money in Phoenix and get enough fans to games?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Since this is pretty much a done deal, I kind of feel bad for Quebec. Don't see the league expanding right now to only 1 team. So it will be a while for Quebec and that's sad.

Even with solid ownership, will the team still make enough money in Phoenix and get enough fans to games?

Ummm.... maybe you should read the last few pages of the thread. Almost no chance that the CoG will offer more than 6 million in arena management money, thus the Coyotes are all but gone.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
One thing that confounds me is most of the Canadian media not giving Quebec much or any chance. Are they following the NHL spin or what? When Atlanta moved, leaks came out of Atlanta but now we have the NHL as the owner. Could the NHL be intentionally waging a war of misdirection? Personally I think yes.

Not that strange.

Half of the media owned by PKP enterprises... therefore, cannot campaign for Quebec on Bettman's order.

The other half controled by Bell media, PKP's enterprises arch rival. They dont want to see a team in Qc as they will loose monopoly.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

I wouldn't call this a done deal at all. Lets see what kind of lease/AMF Gosbee wants from the COG before we jump to any conclusions.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Oh oh oh! I'm remembering that comment for a future laugh!

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Not that strange.

Half of the media owned by PKP enterprises... therefore, cannot campaign for Quebec on Bettman's order.

The other half controled by Bell media, PKP's enterprises arch rival. They dont want to see a team in Qc as they will loose monopoly.

Excellent Point

xzchief

May 7, 2013
Weiers was backed by both police and fire unions during the elections.

If Weiers wants to keep that backing, he won't support more subsidies for the Coyotes at the expense of police and fire. Otherwise, the unions will find somebody else to support.

xzchief

May 7, 2013
Nah im sure the league has talked to COG and probably have that lease pretty much wrapped up. Why go thru this mess and let the little details like the lease to break it all up.

Nine million dollars (the difference between the $6-million AMF currently budgeted and the $15 million Team Gosbee supposedly wants) is not a little detail.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I was struck by how Don Maloney used the word "franchise", as opposed to "the Phoenix Coyotes", in his official statement after signing his contract.

"I am grateful to continue working for this franchise," Maloney said in the statement. "We have a strong core of talented people, both on and off the ice, who are committed to building a championship team and a first-class organization. I would like to thank NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly for their tremendous support these past few years."

What he said was generic enough in nature as to apply to an NHL team in any city.
Well Don is not stupid he even viewed as one of the best GM in the league. It would be a shame to lose him if PKP decide to get somebody else but I have a feeling that not the case.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nine million dollars (the difference between the $6-million AMF currently budgeted and the $15 million Team Gosbee supposedly wants) is not a little detail.

So let me get this straight. Team Gosbee wants COG to give them a lease for free and also pay $15M/yr.

Well thing is, if the team leaves, how much will COG be on the hook for?
Sorry I don't keep up with all of this and not sure what AMF means or any of that.

How much does it cost COG a year to run the Arena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad