Phoenix LXXVIII: Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Though still contingent on a lease of course. Anyone know if the BoG did or can give formal approval without the lease or perhaps just its's a misinterpetation from yesterday's events?

Yes I noticed a few of them awhile ago. Looks like the NHL's ramping things up in advance of Tuesdays meetings, the demands that are sure to be presented, attempting to put Glendale on the defensive. Brinkmanship by the league. Leaks. No way no how could this sale be happening beyond it being "conditional" on so many things that are still huge question marks, loose ends to even be believable.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, this should get interesting now, with city council facing a structural deficit despite substantial cuts to fire/police and other services, and already balking at further cuts. They have an RFP on the streets to manage the arena and have determined that $6 million is the actual cost of managing the arena. It will be interesting to see which, if any, of the council members will be keen to add millions to the AMF for the Coyotes, further increasing the deficit, pouring fuel on the fire of bond rating agencies' increasing concern, and necessitating still further cuts. Has Hocking left the building, or is he still receiving his retainer from the COG? They might need him to whip up one of his spreadsheets to convince reluctant council members to go for it. Sadly, he hasn't been able to convince Moody's, etc.

...only one man and his faithful sidekick know ! :sarcasm:

bettman_as_the_shadow.jpg

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I wonder if there will be a role reversal for the NHL. A few weeks ago, they rejected Pastor's bid out of hand. Afterwards Pastor talked to anyone and everyone, wondering why he didn't even get a call back and that in his mind his deal was a fair one. Even when details came out about his bid, he still talked to any reporter that would interview him. Could the NHL be in same position as Pastor was a few weeks ago and do the same things Pastor did?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder if there will be a role reversal for the NHL... Could the NHL be in same position as Pastor was a few weeks ago and do the same things Pastor did?

No, their in drivers seat to the extent that they have options, Quebec City specifically I should think despite the denials that no negotiations have taken place. What we dont know yet obviously is how compliant Weiers & the newly minted Council Members will be in acceding to whatever requests are made, as what a politician states publicly and what they actually do can be the difference between night & day. All were really doing here is playing the odds, speculating endlessly based on public statements, whatevers been reported as per Le Blanc and his looking for a Jamison like fee & so on. Thats if you can even take Anthony Le Blanc seriously to begin with, which I dont. Really is a case of wait & see.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yes I noticed a few of them awhile ago. Looks like the NHL's ramping things up in advance of Tuesdays meetings, the demands that are sure to be presented, attempting to put Glendale on the defensive. Brinkmanship by the league. Leaks. No way no how could this sale be happening beyond it being "conditional" on so many things that are still huge question marks, loose ends to even be believable.

This has been conditional since it started. The three parties ( NHL, CoG , and Owner ) have always had to have agreements between all the parties, for anything to get done... and that's never happened obviously. Since day one they have never been able to get on the same page for terms of sale, terms of lease, and terms of subsidy.

The owner comes to terms with the city on lease and subsidy, but then can't find the money to buy it OR the owner comes to terms on the sale of the team, but can't get a lease signed OR the city won't sign a lease until the team is sold and the NHL won't sell until the lease is signed.... round and round we go....

Hat's off to anyone who is still a fan of this team, because I know I would have gave up watching them a long time ago if my team was going through this circus.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So by my count we've got about three potential outcomes that should become pretty clear within the next couple of weeks at the most?

1. Gosbee and Glendale agree on a number that doesn't bring Goldwater out of hiding and the coyotes stay put for the foreseeable future.

2. They don't. NHL keeps the team in Glendale another year anyway.

3. They don't and the NHL sells the team to Quebec.

Let me suggest a 4th -- NHL moves the team to GTA and operates for a year and then sells.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Interesting! What does everyone think of Clark's latest post.

http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/read-carefully/

I applaud Bettman and Daly having finally made a decision in terms of ownership but what were they thinking? The NHL must be ready to use its muscle with a “take it or leave it†strategy. Do they seriously think a MAJORITY of this council will accept as an arena manager a newly formed group with no track record in managing an arena? And do they think a MAJORITY of this council will expend more than the $6M budgeted in the soon-to-be-approved city’s Fiscal Year 2013-14 Budget?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait... I actually completely understand and agree with what Clark is saying... Someone pinch me!

Clark... Is right! There's no way the council will agree to this.

Although, I think the NHL will make it clear what will happen without a fat lease.
What does she think the NHL should do. Have Daly put Weiers in a head lock? :help:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wait... I actually completely understand and agree with what Clark is saying... Someone pinch me!

There are some council members that would get excited at the chance to throw the Coyotes under the bus, like Alvarez. It won't be an easy sell. How do you get someone to budget 2-3x as much as they want before they've even unwrapped the RFP bids? It just won't happen. I believe Tuesday is a formality.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Funny....

because we all know that maybe the Majority of this council won't vote for this, but if Joyce was still on the council, she would be voting for spending "whatever-it-takes" without question.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Just a thought i was having. NHL is not meeting with more than 3 council due to open meeting laws. COG hired Beacon to help vet potential arena managers, why not have them on hand when the NHL and new owners come a calling?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
COG hired Beacon to help vet potential arena managers, why not have them on hand when the NHL and new owners come a calling?

The NHL (and by extension, RSE) haven't submitted a bit to that process. So Beacon isn't an option, and isn't about to work for free. I can just imagine the incredulous look on Bettman's face should such a suggestion be floated by the city council. He might be tempted to act like a spurned teenage girl and dial PKP right there in front of them.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
For the first time, it looks to me that the Nhl's big guns are heading into Glendale without already having the votes on council.

Good luck with the bullying tactic, Mr. Bettman.

Congratulations QC.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just screams like a desperation move to have someone else to blame if/when Glendale votes down the extra money.

Bettman: Not my fault we were forced to sell the Coyotes to a group wanting to relocate! We tried to make a deal, and the City of Glendale turned us down!

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
One thing that confounds me is most of the Canadian media not giving Quebec much or any chance. Are they following the NHL spin or what? When Atlanta moved, leaks came out of Atlanta but now we have the NHL as the owner. Could the NHL be intentionally waging a war of misdirection? Personally I think yes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ego is a funny thing. 30 members is a pretty elite club. Does Gosbee have the cash to endure some losses to be part of that club?

Who knows with a good arena mgt team and 6 mil from COG he might be able to make money on that part.

Solid ownership and a good team might also lessen the blow.

Any chance he goes for it just to be part of the club?

Yes, if he really wants in the club of 30....

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I really hope the NHL doesn't pump up the tires of staying in Phoenix, just to throw the rug out from under them and move the team to Quebec City. It seems like some of the other media is already doing that. If the NHL want to save as much face as possible, it should minimize the "deal" it has with Phoenix, so if it has to relocate, it hurts as few people as possible. This would be the time where they should allow the media to talk about possible relocation to the QC more openly and hush the Phoenix enthusiasts.

PEIslander

Apr 20, 2013
One way or another this needs to end. I'm fine with the Coyotes staying put, since losing a team is a heart breaker for fans in any city. But if it is relocation, are there any other real options besides Quebec right now? There's a lot of talk about Quebec on here, and there has been talk about Seattle, but with NHL teams being so hard to get, it wouldn't make sense for other cities like Hamilton, Las Vegas, Portland, Houston or Hartford to not be trying to get the Coyotes too. I agree that Quebec is the frontrunner, but potential buyers from other cities must be talking to the NHL too aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad