Phoenix LXXIX: This is The End, We Hope Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if he has a gag order courtesy of Bettman and co.

Gossbee, after meeting with the mayor and some councillors, probably came to his senses and is now ashamed to be involved in conspiring with the NHL to push Glendale further into debt. Thus his wanting to sneak out a back door and not have to face reporters who, I hope, would ask some interesting questions.

Which ever way this latest kick at the "let's milk Glendale for even more free money" plays out, he'll be remembered as an accomplice to the NHL's despicable act of taking advantage of a city that foolishly wanted to become a sports and entertainment destination..... :shakehead

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Does RSE even have the ball?

The tentative budget may still have 'wiggle' room because it is 'tentative.'

As long as the total amount of the budget isn't exceeded, funds can be shifted from one area to another.

However, that means 'cuts' here for 'increases' there.

With this council, that will not be an easy thing to do, especially after the comments Sherwood made at the end.

Is this the end?

Does *anyone* have the ball? This saga might be too much for one person let alone one organization to wrap their heads around it. The ball might've rolled away. Maybe Howler is taking it on a cross-country road trip with the fat lady riding shotgun.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Probably the most telling passage in this whole article:

"I have repeatedly tried to contact the NHL for further clarification on this issue, and my phone calls and emails have not been returned.â€

Pastor must be quite dense, and even denser to say ^ that ^, thus proving just how dense he truly is. :shakehead

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Gossbee, after meeting with the mayor and some councillors, probably came to his senses and is now ashamed to be involved in conspiring with the NHL to push Glendale further into debt. Thus his wanting to sneak out a back door and not have to face reporters who, I hope, would ask some interesting questions.

Which ever way this latest kick at the "let's milk Glendale for even more free money" plays out, he'll be remembered as an accomplice to the NHL's despicable act of taking advantage of a city that foolishly wanted to become a sports and entertainment destination..... :shakehead

Haven't all of these 'potential' owners been accomplices to Gary's dream. :sarcasm:

Is this the end?

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I have to agree with Killion on this one. This actually makes the NHL look bad, really bush league. If this is how someone is going to expect be treated, why would any serious investor want to do business with this league?

Because they'd be one of only 30 owners of an NHL team in the entire universe. Would be an awesome line on Daryl Jones business card. A card which would undoubtedly elicit great respect from colleagues and the business world. :laugh:

Daryl Jones B.A. M.C.
CEO Ice Edge Holdings, aka Yale something or other
Planetary Ruler (Western Sector) and NHL Owner

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I find myself wondering-could the NHL have underestimated the CoG this time? How much were they expecting for them to say "we'll unseal the other bids", a different reaction from previous where it seemed CoG just rolled over for them?

I just wonder how much surprise the NHL had, seeing CoG make this decision-:were they caught off guard?

The NHL blew it..... Should have pulled out all the stops including bringing that young kid in the Coyotes jersey, (Jimmy, Johnny, Tim, Tommy, whatever his name - brilliant move on whose ever part during one of the public council meetings) into today's meetings to plead on his knees, hoping / asking / begging that the city go bankrupt for his one and only love ..... the love of hockey. There wouldn't have been a dry eye in the meeting. :cry: ....however

...with Weirs and new council members properly running the show now, the wet eyes would have probably been from hysterical laughter.... :laugh:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I like the next thread title to Tesla - No Way Out, also Kevin Costner's only good movie....

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if you are Catholic or not but... Is that hatred a mortal or venial sin???

Edit : Good news... The Pope just came out and said, IN LATIN, that hating Gary Bettman is, unlike being master of your domain,
natural and good for the soul. Thank God I am okay on one of the two.

:)

Speaking about the Pope and religion! here's another take on how Bettman is perceived at the highest levels......

A man died and went to Heaven. As he stood in front of the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him.
He asked, 'What are all those clocks?'
St. Peter answered, 'Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone who has ever been on earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie, the hands on your clock move.'
'Oh', said the man. 'Whose clock is that?'
'That's Mother Teresa's', replied St. Peter. 'The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie.
'Incredible', said the man. 'And whose clock is that one?'
St. Peter responded, 'That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abraham told only two lies in his entire life.'
'Where's NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman's clock?' asked the man.
St Peter replied, 'Jesus has it in his office. He uses it as a ceiling fan.'

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I just can't imagine Bettman not getting what he wants. Is it normal to hate a man you don't even know???
And, as a Catholic, is that hatred a mortal or venial sin???

Depends........

For example, deliberate hatred can be venial sin or mortal sin depending on the seriousness of the hatred. The Catechism explains, "Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm" (CCC 2303).

Source:*http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/what-are-some-examples-of-venial-sins

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Ok can someone explain if CF or this board was mentioned at all or if that's an old joke that you had to be around for. Also we need to come up with a title for the next thread. Its too early to use final countdown because it won't end this week and the shelf life of a thread is about 2 days lately. What anniversary is 80?

RandR

May 15, 2011
Arizona Republic story: Hockey execs meet with Glendale over future of Coyotes

Comments from a couple of council members:

Councilman Manny Martinez said both sides want to make a deal work, but all the discussions Tuesday were in general terms. He’s interested in specifics.

“Let’s put it this way: They’re successful businessmen who are not out to lose money,“ he said.

There may be options for the team and the city to tap into new revenue streams to find additional money beyond the $6 million that the city has budgeted for an arena manager, he said.

Councilman Ian Hugh said he came away from the meetings convinced that the hockey executives truly want to remain in Arizona.

“They’re trying to pull it off,†Hugh said. “I’d love to have an anchor tenant playing in the arena. The rest of it they’re going to have to figure it out,†he said.

Neither the NHL nor Renaissance executives outlined how much they want the city to pay them to manage the arena. Hugh said he’s not ready to discuss Renaissance’s potential involvement until the city receives and considers a full slate of bids from other management companies.

Earlier this spring, the city sought bids from management firms interested in operating the arena. The deadline is Friday for the bidding process, which is open to potential Coyotes owners and non-Coyotes owners alike.

Renaissance is welcome to bid along with any other firm, Hugh said.

Hugh, like other council members, said he also would like to broaden the discussion beyond just the arena management fee. He also would like a better idea of how much revenue the team brings to the city through sale tax revenue and fees.
Seems to me that if Renaissance truly does want to buy this team, then they have 3 days to come up with some real numbers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So, the best way to 'expeditiously' negotiate a lease is to not discuss specifics or hard numbers at all? Seems like a group going through the motions for the sake of optics rather than a real effort to keep the team in AZ. More fuel to the conspiracy fire.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So, the best way to 'expeditiously' negotiate a lease is to not discuss specifics or hard numbers at all? Seems like a group going through the motions for the sake of optics rather than a real effort to keep the team in AZ.

Pretty much XX. Best be gettin down to brass tacks like yesterday.

iqaD4nl.jpg

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Ok can someone explain if CF or this board was mentioned at all or if that's an old joke that you had to be around for.

CF was mentioned, his post on tax revenue with and without coyotes was quoted in council meeting

RandR

May 15, 2011
If Renaissance don't come up with a hard number for an AMF, then it's going to be pretty obvious that their whole involvement wasn't serious in the first place.

And if they do come up with a number, then it will probably be far out of reach of what others will have bid by Friday. Which only leads me to this conclusion ... either they weren't serious in the first place or they were only serious if they could take CoG for suckers like the league did for 2 years.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Arizona Republic story: Hockey execs meet with Glendale over future of Coyotes

Comments from a couple of council members:
Earlier this spring, the city sought bids from management firms interested in operating the arena. The deadline is Friday for the bidding process, which is open to potential Coyotes owners and non-Coyotes owners alike.

Renaissance is welcome to bid along with any other firm, Hugh said.

Hugh, like other council members, said he also would like to broaden the discussion beyond just the arena management fee. He also would like a better idea of how much revenue the team brings to the city through sale tax revenue and fees.

Seems to me that if Renaissance truly does want to buy this team, then they have 3 days to come up with some real numbers.
Great find but where did they all get the idea that Renaissance can bid on the RFP? Sunnucks said the same thing on PTS and it false they are nowhere near meeting the prerequisite.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
My mistake. I thought you said Hoobabs. My apologies.

Hoodads you say? Nah, not similar.

No problem. I'm not aware of either word. Hoodads was used by someone on this thread when stating they used the phrase "newfangled Hoodads" in a conference call..... Funny word.:)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Great find but where did they all get the idea that Renaissance can bid on the RFP? Sunnucks said the same thing on PTS and it false they are nowhere near meeting the prerequisite.

Quite correct, they cant bid on it because they dont meet the prerequisites. The only way they can secure the Arena Mgmnt Contract & Fee's is to convince Glendale that their better off with the team & they themselves managing the building, because if not enjoined & sole sourced, cant make a go of it. That no numbers were discussed, like its their first date, and as of right now 72hrs to try & get Glendale on-side, Im just not seeing it. Its too late. The NHL would have to let this thing play out right through June and thats just not plausible no matter how you slice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad