Phoenix LXXIX: This is The End, We Hope Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
A stick tap, hat tip, or homage to CF for pointing this speaker to the financials 11, 12, and 13.

Own of our own to one of our own it seems.

That's so awesome I can't speak. Would have been even more awesome if they had read out some of Killion's posts. :laugh:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Oh, the mayor is absolutely in the drivers seat here. GB did a good job positioning it so the league won't end up holding the blame bag tho. Actually if everyone plays it right there will be little fallout from this, it'll just be a business deal that couldn't be completed.
agreed. if gary behaves like an adult and doesnt poke the bear in the mayor's office, this can be a soft exit for all parties concerned. it amazes me that so many potential buyers were presented with so many golden opportunities in all of this and yet none was willing/able to complete. glendale should erect a statue of weiers because he may have very well just saved the city.

btw, i strongly endorse the "Is there another way out?" title for the next thread. That has to be the single best soundbite of this whole saga.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
agreed. if gary behaves like an adult and doesnt poke the bear in the mayor's office, this can be a soft exit for all parties concerned. it amazes me that so many potential buyers were presented with so many golden opportunities in all of this and yet none was willing/able to complete. glendale should erect a statue of weiers because he may have very well just saved the city.

btw, i strongly endorse the "Is there another way out?" title for the next thread. That has to be the single best soundbite of this whole saga.

I am almost sure of a unanimity.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer

I am almost sure of a unanimity.

Yes that the winner there.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
At what point is CF mentioned. I will make it a point to watch.

As for the next thread how about: Leaving on a jet plane, don't know if Gary will be back again

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I thought the AMUL was left to expire? Does that not mean they would be negotiating a new lease with the arena manager for 2013-2014?

As far as anyone knows the AMUL has not been renewed by the NHL.

But it was changed to a month to month deal this past season (presumed to accommodate Jamison's bid) with Glendale not being required to pay on it. And with them currently working on a new deal with RSE both sides could have agreed to shelve it for now. :dunno:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah they can make a lot happen in those 48 to 72 hours but I don't think the NHL can do much because the NHL is backed into the corner(Glendale will push this to June 25) and will proably stay in Glendale for one more while covering the losses.

How is the NHL backed into a corner? If they move to Quebec before the end of this week, the negative headlines from Glendale will immediately be overwhelmed by the positive headlines from Quebec. Within a few weeks no one will care about the Phoenix Coyotes any more than they care about the Atlanta Thrashers. Sure, they could stay another year and sustain 40 million in losses or whatever, and then go through the whole process again in a year's time. Why would they though? There is no logic to that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How about, "the team would be paying rent without receiving the other auxiliary streams of revenue and having first rights over the facility, thus making them even more bound to the gate receipts, which are acknowledged to be among the lowest in the league, thus virtually guaranteeing another money-hemorrhaging season."

More accurate?

Because, yes, the Coyotes have been paying a rent, but also receiving much more than the rent back in various considerations from Glendale the last few years.

The OP seemed to presume the team wasn't paying a rent. The facts are otherwise.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
How is the NHL backed into a corner? If they move to Quebec before the end of this week, the negative headlines from Glendale will immediately be overwhelmed by the positive headlines from Quebec. Within a few weeks no one will care about the Phoenix Coyotes any more than they care about the Atlanta Thrashers. Sure, they could stay another year and sustain 40 million in losses or whatever, and then go through the whole process again in a year's time. Why would they though? There is no logic to that.

But how can they do that Ugmo, there 3 days left until May 31, that is too short of time to do anything right now. The NHL does not want the blame on itself but how can they do that in such short time. I can't see the team moving now because then the blame will fall on the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad