Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What is the endgame date?

The Stanley Cup Final if it goes 7 is June 28h - the entry draft is the 30th.

We know that IF the NHL gives the go ahead to sell tickets it will be as fast as Winnipeg.

The ONLY reason the NHL is hedging is realignment.

If Reinsdorf could not make the numbers work - NOBODY CAN.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
What is the endgame date?

The Stanley Cup Final if it goes 7 is June 28h - the entry draft is the 30th.

We know that IF the NHL gives the go ahead to sell tickets it will be as fast as Winnipeg.

If Reinsdorf could not make the numbers work - NOBODY CAN.

May 31st if they don't submit a bid. If they don't submit one, then they would have to pay rent for this money losing team and that'll never happen.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/purchasing/documents/RFPTentativeTimeline052413.pdf
June 10th-11th if they don't get picked to be a finalist
June 25th is when the winner gets picked

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I don't think I need that honor but if someone spoke about the actual figures from the Glendale Follow Your Money website, I can endorse that.

Things I post on BOH have turned up in the dardenst places :dunno:

Huzzah! A round of BOH infractions on me to celebrate!

I figured "Hulsizer deal worse than butt cancer" had a chance to be used at a COG meeting, but of course it was substance that won over.

So, the best way to 'expeditiously' negotiate a lease is to not discuss specifics or hard numbers at all? Seems like a group going through the motions for the sake of optics rather than a real effort to keep the team in AZ. More fuel to the conspiracy fire.

Let's not forget that we are dealing with IEH redux here.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
hmmm, the fact that glendale called the nhl's bluff today by refusing to cancel the rfp sure would suggest to me that it's not going to passively take the blame for anything here. i think gary has met his match in mayor weiers. he'd be best to tuck his tail and leave town quietly and graciously, else he might end up on the wall in the mayor's office.

Oh, the mayor is absolutely in the drivers seat here. GB did a good job positioning it so the league won't end up holding the blame bag tho. Actually if everyone plays it right there will be little fallout from this, it'll just be a business deal that couldn't be completed.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Quite correct, they cant bid on it because they dont meet the prerequisites. The only way they can secure the Arena Mgmnt Contract & Fee's is to convince Glendale that their better off with the team & they themselves managing the building, because if not enjoined & sole sourced, cant make a go of it. That no numbers were discussed, like its their first date, and as of right now 72hrs to try & get Glendale on-side, Im just not seeing it. Its too late. The NHL would have to let this thing play out right through June and thats just not plausible no matter how you slice it.
72 hours you're too generous Killion if Glendale does not scrap the RFP by puck drop tonight in Chicago it done in my view. What are the chances that they do that?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Great find but where did they all get the idea that Renaissance can bid on the RFP? Sunnucks said the same thing on PTS and it false they are nowhere near meeting the prerequisite.

Just because you don't meet the prerequisites doesn't mean you can't submit a bid. It just means you'd get eliminated as soon as they do theffirst screening for mandatory requirements.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Because they'd be one of only 30 owners of an NHL team in the entire universe. Would be an awesome line on Daryl Jones business card. A card which would undoubtedly elicit great respect from colleagues and the business world. :laugh:

Daryl Jones B.A. M.C.
CEO Ice Edge Holdings, aka Yale something or other
Planetary Ruler (Western Sector) and NHL Owner

Of course you might note that I said serious investor, instead of course what you get is...well...Daryl Jones!

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

Nobody is hedging because of realignment, that is just silly...

"Gosh darn it, it's just not coming together. Wait a minute! If we put a team in Butte, problem solved!"

"You did it! Shear genius!"

There are probably several reason why the NHL is hedging, most of them are probably more to do with human frailties of the ego than smart business sense. Realignment? Not even a consideration. MOD
Edit: Oh and...

Paul Giblin , PaulGiblinAriz 1m
George Gosbee to a security guard when he saw the media on stakeout at #Glendale City Hall: "Is there another way out?"

I'll add my vote for this as being the next thread title...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I like the next thread title to Tesla - No Way Out, also Kevin Costner's only good movie....

Hey... great reference, great band!

Other possibilities:

Jerry Weiers: Modern Day Cowboy
Flight To Nowhere (from Teterboro)
Party's Over (in Glendale)
Phoenix Coyotes: Governmental Personnel (thanks to massive public subsidies)

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
My impression about what happened? (may be wrong... ;-)

- Since january 31st, NHL plan was to pull the plug on Glendale...
- ...and find a way to blame Glendale.
- Found couple guys to pretend saving the team, asking 15M a year AMF
- Waited on may 28th to show them to Glendale (as they could have done it in march before Glendale had the 6M figure in mind, those figures coming from the league itself).
- Have a conditional deal in place with PKP, probably in the days following NBA's vote, to cover their butts.
- Yesterday, asked Glendale to scrap the "silly" RFP process...
- ...which Glendale's answer is their press release.
- PKP have not set Bettman any deadline, leaving the NHL the whole control of time frame
- PKP is ready to play on planet mars if needed.
- NHL and PKP are working together, not one against the other, despite what lots of people think. (Last week's leak was scheduled by league) NHL sees TVAsports getting into the TV game very attractive$$$.

What will happen?

- Either RSE begins talks which drag and the NHL moves to team or...
- ... RSE states they cannot go further with their proposition because of Glendale's will to go forward with RFP.
- Of course Bettman won't be happy to move to Quebec city, who cares?

Last edited:

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Had a few hours sleep, if my inbox isn't too crowded I will put together a short opinion re: Arizona's competitive bidding statute and how that revocable RFP may not be so revocable. Stay tuned we may be approaching the point of no return legally.

Just need to figure out if the 2013 revisions have any effect...

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Oh, and congrats (err condolences?) to CF on having their postings here read at the meeting last night. I'm glad they'be actually looked to see what the public thinks of this. I hope they see how ridiculous this entire thing has been since day one, and how much money they pissed away for nothing, not to mention closing firehouses and laying off police officers to save a private business is just plain unethical. Good luck Glendale, I hope you smarten up, because you have made total fools of yourself.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I see Boston and Pittsburgh will start on Saturday. The Western Conference will start either Friday night (if Detroit wins) or Saturday (if Chicago wins). So there will be a couple of days between the end of CHI/DET and the start of the conference finals for the NHL to make an announcement regarding the Coyotes.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
The team already pays a rent. Not the issue. :help:

How about, "the team would be paying rent without receiving the other auxiliary streams of revenue and having first rights over the facility, thus making them even more bound to the gate receipts, which are acknowledged to be among the lowest in the league, thus virtually guaranteeing another money-hemorrhaging season."

More accurate?

Because, yes, the Coyotes have been paying a rent, but also receiving much more than the rent back in various considerations from Glendale the last few years.

exit322

May 10, 2012
The NHL blew it..... Should have pulled out all the stops including bringing that young kid in the Coyotes jersey, (Jimmy, Johnny, Tim, Tommy, whatever his name - brilliant move on whose ever part during one of the public council meetings) into today's meetings to plead on his knees, hoping / asking / begging that the city go bankrupt for his one and only love ..... the love of hockey. There wouldn't have been a dry eye in the meeting. :cry: ....however

...with Weirs and new council members properly running the show now, the wet eyes would have probably been from hysterical laughter.... :laugh:

Puberty's a pain. Kid isn't cute anymore.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I see Boston and Pittsburgh will start on Saturday. The Western Conference will start either Friday night (if Detroit wins) or Saturday (if Chicago wins). So there will be a couple of days between the end of CHI/DET and the start of the conference finals for the NHL to make an announcement regarding the Coyotes.

I was thinking the same thing Jim, if the NHL wants to call the shots and not be backed into a corner, than they have to(should) make a decision some where around that time.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
http://www.azcentral.com/video/2416564109001

arizona12 news. short video about the secret meetings. interesting to hear the local perspective, but its not exactly the heroes welcome for Gosbee

I think it was yesterday when I expressed my astonishment at the lack of pitchforks in Glendale. The second guy they interviewed pretty much summed it up: "I'm sure the city council will do what's right for Glendale (paraphrasing)." The city council gave the league tens of millions of dollars and now has to close fire stations. Probably not a good idea to have blind faith in them. I think it's possible that barely anyone in Glendale is even paying attention to the various Coyotes deals.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Actually disapointed with the results from yesterday's meeting. Really a whole lot of platitudes from each side dragging this further along as the eternal game of political chicken continues.

Though it's expected what happen (or didn't), I guess the next significant day is on Friday, I'll call it Christmas in May!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille