Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmajeski06

Mar 24, 2010
Cary, NC
sorry......cleveland can't support a NHL team here... even the sport talk show hosts in this town don't even like hockey...

the city has trouble attracting fans to watch the indians....

and lastly, its a browns football town here....the browns new owner, jimmy haslem, is just recently being investigated by the FBI, because of over some shady deal over rebates in his truck stop business...

that story received more press in cleveland last week than the bombing in boston...

This is true. Even the local sports media jokes about it...after the Indians won the opener against the Blue Jays, one of the Plain Dealer writers tweeted something like: "Indians win on Opening Day, stay tuned for how this affects the Browns' 1st round draft strategy".

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Come on Fugu. You really think a decision worth many HUNDREDS of millions of dollars over dozens of years like the relocation of the Coyotes will be decided by an arbitrary convention on realignment?

Seriously? I get that they are good reasons for having a team in Seattle, but the realignment isn't one. Québec can play in the West for a few years like Winnipeg until a new decision on realigment is made in two years.

Exactly what is the "arbitrary convention" that you have in mind? I'm not aware of any conventions on realignment.

I interpet realignment to have been a thoughtful decision-making process that would be completely surprising if it did not take an imminent move of the Coyotes to QC into account.

If such a move were at all likely, the NHL could have held off announcing realignment until franchise locations were settled.

I'm no more or less happy whatever happens to the Coyotes - Phoenix, Quebec, Seattle or Timbuktu are all fine with me. It's not like I'm rooting against QC.

The only way I could see QC in the cards is if the NHL has an understanding with Columbus that their move to the Eastern Conference is conditional upon the situation in QC. That could well be the case and outside our knowledge.

However, based on all we do know (which, frankly, is not really all that much) Phoenix to QC does not look at all likely; the complicated re-realignment scenarios are even less likely; and Detroit going back to the Western Conference is a non-starter.

Last edited:

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, I hope Ive got that right, as I believe this document was from the Hulsizer Chapter's of this Saga pursuant to the Parking Bond play, the section you refer to, the Lease Agreement, as it was never executed is completely null & void, irrelevant.

Thanks......

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
Exactly what is the "arbitrary convention" that you have in mind? I'm not aware of any conventions on realignment.

I interpet realignment to have been a thoughtful decision-making process that would be completely surprising if it did not take an imminent move of the Coyotes to QC into account.

If such a move were at all likely, the NHL could have held off announcing realignment until franchise locations were settled.

I'm no more or less happy whatever happens to the Coyotes - Phoenix, Quebec, Seattle or Timbuktu are all fine with me. It's not like I'm rooting against QC.

The only way I could see QC in the cards is if the NHL has an understanding with Columbus that their move to the Eastern Conference is conditional upon the situation in QC. That could well be the case and outside our knowledge.

However, based on all we do know (which, frankly, is not really all that much) Phoenix to QC does not look at all likely; the complicated re-realignment scenarios are even less likely; and Detroit going back to the Western Conference is a non-starter.

Quebec should play in the "MidWest" like Winnipeg played in the SouthEast until they realign again later.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Question for Wings fans:

It was posted above that ST sales for the Wings spiked when the new alignment was revealed, especially from Canada.

My question: I didn't know the Wings had attendance and ST issues to start with? Is this true? Not that the franchise is in any trouble, mind you. It is just interesting.

I agree that Detroit, once grouped with the NE or ATL teams (especially the NE teams because of Windsor and SW Ontario) is likely not moving back west, especially if that is the case, and especially since the team right now looks on the beginning of a time when they are more middle-of-the-pack than elite.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And that may very well be the standard for relocation now. You can buy a team and relocate it but the NHL won't realign immediatly to suit your need.

Totally agree. In the case where PKP buys the Yotes, though, it would be better for everyone involved with a minor change of QC to the Midwest and Colorado to the Pacific. That would be better for everyone.

Generally, I discount the importance of the realignment because of a couple of things.

One, this looks like a desperate league. 6 outdoor games next year?? Really??? LA???

Two, the league has made it their very public stance that they don't want to move the team. So, no realignment that is published would likely accommodate a relocation, because they are mostly denying the possibility of one.

Three, no one really knows how much the PA have had to say about the new alignment. Except for one cryptic comment that has never been probed further in an interview in which Fehr agreed that the realignment could be reconsidered in the event of a relo or expansion. And, the sense to me (and I could be wrong) was that he meant whenever a relo happened. Does anyone else remember that? And, whether QC was directly involved in either the question or the answer?

Now, I have no idea why they would choose to do a realignment announcement when they did. It makes no sense at all to me. I suppose there may have been a sense that the schedule for next year needs to get started. And, some kind of pressure that Winnipeg not play in the SE for a 3rd year, so "we have to do something with this, even though it should wait...." I just don't know why they would do that right now.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
i'm still baffled by how many posters here seem to think the current realignment plan will greatly affect where the coyotes get placed. surely the league has various plans.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Depending on where the team is moved to, announcing it during the playoffs would potentially get lost among the playoffs themselves.... It sounds like the owners aren't willing to go through this again and have more lost revenues though. They're better off suspending operations, even though they won't do that.

Ya, there's that to consider GKJ, buried a bit. I guess the odds are 50/50. Would make some sense to do it during the Playoffs, while on the other hand, it doesnt. Its a sort of bad news / good news type situation. No idea really... and ya, beyond Leipolds comments of a few weeks ago we havent heard much of anything from anyone else, but youve gotta figure their somewhat exasperated with the situation whenever thinking about or discussing it. Again though, who knows? They all have their own sets of issues to deal with, their own businesses to run. Its the Commissioners problem.

Thanks......

Welcome. Hope I helped to clear that up?.... :)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
i'm still baffled by how many posters here seem to think the current realignment plan will greatly affect where the coyotes get placed. surely the league has various plans.

Before voting on the realignment proposition, the NHLPA asked the league what would happen if the Yotes had to move to Quebec City. They then accepted the proposition, so I guess it means the League has an acceptable plan in case relocation to Qc has to happen.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Before voting on the realignment proposition, the NHLPA asked the league what would happen if the Yotes had to move to Quebec City. They then accepted the proposition, so I guess it means the League has an acceptable plan in case relocation to Qc has to happen.

This is what I remember as well, but I would like it very much if you could conjure up a link.

Thanks!!

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Does anyone know when the schedule for the next season is supposed to be released? Was the schedule released before Atlanta moved or after?

RandR

May 15, 2011
If true that the league was asked that question, then my guess would be that were given the same line they've been telling the entire world for years now:

"We have no current plans for relocating the Coyotes or any other team".

That doesn't mean there are no contingency plans; however, there doesn't yet appear to be any publicly known evidence of them.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

NHLPA: What happens if the Coyotes move to Quebec City?

NHL: The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec City.

NHLPA: Why not?

NHL: Would you rather your constituents play in another tiny Canadian market with high income taxes, or a major metropolis with no income taxes?

NHLPA: Ok then, next topic.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Does anyone know when the schedule for the next season is supposed to be released? Was the schedule released before Atlanta moved or after?

The schedule is usually released in August, but there a lot of planning that has to go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if work on it will start soon.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Since we're getting to the end of this thread...

LXXV - Bettman Don't Kill Coyotes

In honor of the first Red Hot Chili Peppers single, True Men Don't Kill Coyotes

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
NHLPA: What happens if the Coyotes move to Quebec City?

NHL: The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec City.

NHL: Would you rather your constituents play in another tiny Canadian market with high income taxes, or a major metropolis with no income taxes?

NHLPA: Ok then, next topic.

NHLPA: But wait, we get a share of the revenues, right? Yes, please move the Coyotes to QC where they will be among the league's top 9 markets at the gate.

NHL: Curses! Fooled again!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The schedule is usually released in August, but there a lot of planning that has to go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if work on it will start soon.

No, the schedule is generally released in mid to late June prior to the draft. To the original question, it was after the Jets relocation.

Last 2 seasons it was on June 21 and June 23.

The broadcast schedule is released in August.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
NHLPA: What happens if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg?

NHL: The Thrashers aren't moving to Winnipeg.

NHLPA:Winnipeg please.

Or actually, fyp.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale

Is this fiction? I don't remember ANYONE saying this ever. :shakehead

QC and any other NA city is not ready for a team.

<<Checking to see if this is the Quebec thread>>

:shakehead

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Is this fiction? I don't remember ANYONE saying this ever. :shakehead

QC and any other NA city is not ready for a team.

<<Checking to see if this is the Quebec thread>>

:shakehead

I've read that also, right here on HF. We could find the links.

Remember the asso had problems with the proposed realignment, regarding the PHX situation. I don't recall if they specifically mentionned "Quebec city", we could search the web, but suddenly, the asso accepted the realignment, keeping the right to rediscuss this.

Dunno if this fits here?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Here's a text posted couple months ago where its stated the NHLPA could block the latest realignment project.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas.../7/4071182/nhl-realignment-nhlpa-dallas-stars

Quoting the author, I agree not a league or asso official.

"The CBC's Elliotte Friedman notes that the NHLPA is working on a response and having to go through team representives nearly one or two at a time, with players from the East unhappy with the new playoff structuring. The NHL had stated it needed a response by last season for scheduling purposes and now it seems the NHLPA is dragging it's feet and slowing the process. Sort of like the lockout.

The reality is that the plan is certainly flawed. Uneven conferences, some odd hybrid of divisional playoffs and a wild card system and overall concern about the postseason structure notwithstanding -- the current realignment proposal appears to do nothing to address possible expansion in Quebec and elsewhere."

I agree the word is expansion but still, all of a sudden couple days later, Fehr accepts.

What happened? Bettman said Fehr "Trust me?"

Unless you believe every words coming out Bettman's mouth on any matter linked to the future of this franchise, the released realignement itself is meaningless in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad