Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Alvarez quoted that "It's not government's job to keep kids off the street" thing, I don't think that should be part of the question, the question should be whether the hockey team actually keeps the kids off the street moreso than alternative options.

Of course, I'm just an ideologue.
How in the hell is a pro hockey team going to keep the kids off the street? After school activities and community center will do that.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I haven't watched the whole meeting but is this still true? Is Glendale really going to commit $300 million without knowing who they're committing it to?
Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors.

He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
How can a lame duck council vote for such a deal especially when the "future" administration has been elected by saying they wouldn't approve the deal.

I know it is legitimate for them to vote on such a matter, but morally speaking, it seems wrong to me. Hopefully the team is saved for good and it doesn't end up bankrupting the city. As much as I want to see the Nordiques come back, I don't want hockey fans to suffer the way I did in 1995 and I certainly don't want a city go bankrupt over a hockey team.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors.

He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.

Sad.

Scruggs seems to be the only one who gets it.

No emergency clause, meaning it can be challenged in a referendum.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Why do cities fall for the "save the hot dog jobs" reasoning every time....

Well it kinda makes sense in most situations. Since jobs are jobs.

But in this case this city's finances are soooooo bad, they are litterally trading cops and firemen and libraries for hot dog stands jobs!

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
And now everyone can get back to their cars and drive home to Phoenix and Scottsdale and other cities after encouraging a city down this path....

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
cant believe they are going to continue to drag this out. Hockey will never work in the desert. It has never worked in the desert.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Well it kinda makes sense in most situations. Since jobs are jobs.

But in this case this city's finances are soooooo bad, they are litterally trading cops and firemen and libraries for hot dog stands jobs!

And 23 hockey players, a coach, a GM...

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. This vote wasn't the "big question." To me there are two questions left; does the JIG have the money (and who are his investors?) and when does Goldwater speak up?

It isn't my place to criticize a city that I don't pay taxes to on what they should do with their money. However, I do think that it is wrong to cut fire budgets, police budgets, and whatever else to keep a professional sports franchise in your city. But again, if Glendale wishes to do that, best of luck.

To those wanting stable ownership in Glendale: Greg Jamison will not offer you stable ownership.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the mayor insinuated what the tax increase was exactly for, bring on the referendum. Where actual citizens will vote.....

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Did the mayor just go on record suggesting the fact that this is a subsidy rather than an arena agreement?

Yes she did.

Next hurdles:
-referendum
-new council
-GJ needs to find his money
-GWI

They're probably saved until summer. Maybe longer, it's Glendale after all.

Puckschmuck*

And now everyone can get back to their cars and drive home to Phoenix and Scottsdale and other cities after encouraging a city down this path....

This is what pisses me off the most. They would rather listen to a bunch of outsiders rather than their own residents.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I haven't watched the whole meeting but is this still true? Is Glendale really going to commit $300 million without knowing who they're committing it to?

Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors. He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.

And there you have you your answer htpwn (thx jfb392).
Doesnt get any riskier. $300M+ leap into the unknown.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. This vote wasn't the "big question." To me there are two questions left; does the JIG have the money (and who are his investors?) and when does Goldwater speak up?

It isn't my place to criticize a city that I don't pay taxes to on what they should do with their money. However, I do think that it is wrong to cut fire budgets, police budgets, and whatever else to keep a professional sports franchise in your city. But again, if Glendale wishes to do that, best of luck.

To those wanting stable ownership in Glendale: Greg Jamison will not offer you stable ownership.

Not when... if.

Does Goldwater do anything or were they all hot air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad