Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I actually think that this is incorrect. I think they have 30 days to submit their petition for a referendum. You then need a number of days to setup the referendum vote and to execute on that.

I would anticipate that this would drag the date well beyond the Jan 31st deadline. Depending on how long it would take to get the signatures, they could even submit the referendum petition prior to the deal being signed by Skeete. Either way I think this comes back to a vote by the new council. I just don't see, given all of the hurdles that we know exist out there, that this gets wrapped up be Jan 31st or the 15th for that matter when the new council comes in an overturns this vote.

I'm pretty sure we learned last time during deadline disputes that theyve got thirty days from tomorrow to have their signatures in. Pretty sure we learned that the number of signatures needed will no longer be based on the Scruggs race but the Weiers race. This means they'll need to collect two or three times what they managed to collect last time.

I could most definitely be mistaken. I usually am.

rt

May 13, 2004
The thing is, in a referendum, all those Coyotes fans from Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc - guess what? they have no vote, and no say in a matter that involves Glendale Taxpayers.

It won't get to the ballot. They failed absolutely miserably last time to gather a significantly smaller amount of required signatures.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
I'm pretty sure we learned last time during deadline disputes that theyve got thirty days from tomorrow to have their signatures in. Pretty sure we learned that the number of signatures needed will no longer be based on the Scruggs race but the Weiers race. This means they'll need to collect two or three times what they managed to collect last time.

I could most definitely be mistaken. I usually am.

No I think you are right. However, I think he's going to have a lot more support collecting those signatures.

I think they can get this to a referendum, and if they do, they start all over because the 60 days will easily expire.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Can the new council pass a motion to reverse this vote?

This is gonna be like Obama taking over the oval office after Bush ran the economy into the ground. If you were on the new council why would you even want to walk into a mess like that? I feel for the new council.

This will be bad. Very very bad.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So if Skeete knows that the new council doesn't want this thing signed and knows the people don't want it, why the heck would he sign the deal for the city? wouldn't you just wait and see what the next council wants offically since they come in jan anyways?

Puckschmuck*

It won't get to the ballot. They failed absolutely miserably last time to gather a significantly smaller amount of required signatures.

This issue has made far more noise and attracted more attention than the last time. It appears like more Glendale residents are more aware of the seriousness of this situation. This time around, I think it could stand to become a real threat to Jigmeister's deal.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!

That was before they had to shut down essential services, fire cops and firemen, and raise taxes to support this.....

They are already working to recall Knaack.

rt

May 13, 2004
This issue has made far more noise and attracted more attention than the last time. It appears like more Glendale residents are more aware of the seriousness of this situation. This time around, I think it could stand to become a real threat to Jigmeister's deal.

They'll need significantly more than double what they collected last time. Jones is one hundred and nine years old, sleeps seventeen hours a day, and collects signatures by sitting out front of a library. A library in Glendale Arizona. This is not what I would hang my hopes on as an opponent of this agreement.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
for the next thread title I liked the one someone suggested about: Please don't poop on me.

As for the petition drive, I think if they get the folks behind the sales tax repeal to join them they can get it done

Puckschmuck*

They'll need significantly more than double what they collected last time. Jones is one hundred and nine years old, sleeps seventeen hours a day, and collects signatures by sitting out front of a library. A library in Glendale Arizona. This is not what I would hang my hopes on as an opponent of this agreement.

Who said I'm hanging all my hopes up on this? There are plenty of other more legitimate and realistic hurdles to scuttle the deal :nod:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Why do they need twice the amount of signatures now? Does it go up over time or because of the vote?

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

And aren't they cutting those library hours down by half this week? :sarcasm:

Too bad they can't use out of state signatures, they'd have 34 million already...

there outta be a law!

rt

May 13, 2004
Why do they need twice the amount of signatures now? Does it go up over time or because of the vote?

It's 5% of however many votes were cast in the previous mayoral race. Scrugg's ran unopposed last time and nobody bothered to vote. There was a more legitimate mayoral race this time, and as a result more people voted. Twice(ish) as many people.

rt

May 13, 2004
Who said I'm hanging all my hopes up on this? There are plenty of other more legitimate and realistic hurdles to scuttle the deal :nod:

Certainly not me. Where do you see that accusation in my post?

And I agree. There are several worries that are legitimate hurdles. Will Don Fehr nuke the entire league? Does Jamison actually have the dough? What legal challenges might be presented and by who?

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011

why do they need more signatures this time?
also Jones probably has the name and phone number of those that signed the petition last time... also last time he started late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille