Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Guys, the team isn't being used as collateral to the PA, it's not getting the plug pulled after all these years. Another instance that Bettman will always get what he wants. If there is no way, he will find a way. Donald Fehr is the next to try and prove this theory wrong. Bettman is going to find a way to come out ahead, they've already made the city agree to pay Jamison more than they would have had the city bought the team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Referendum won't matter. Only delays the process by 30 days. Still 49 days until new council/mayor take over. Referendum won't succeed because they'll need more than twice as many signatures as they collected last time. Referendum is basically a non issue at this point.

Basically we are waiting to find out if Jamison has the dough and if GWI has an ace in the hole.

Puckschmuck*

cant believe they are going to continue to drag this out. Hockey will never work in the desert. It has never worked in the desert.

But but but...............grow the game..................big time fancy shmancy tv deals.............and all that jazz.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Yes she did.

Next hurdles:
-referendum
-new council
-GJ needs to find his money
-GWI

They're probably saved until summer. Maybe longer, it's Glendale after all.

And that's just the stuff we know is coming; there's always a few unexpected twists and turns. The crazy train just keeps on rolling.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
The great thing about this is that the monkeys are still dancing for my amusement.

I'm laughing now at these Coyote fans who think this is over. Especially that blubbering guy. Suck up buddy, you're supposed to be a hockey fan...

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
This is what pisses me off the most. They would rather listen to a bunch of outsiders rather than their own residents.

and what do they care? It's not like their services will be cut.

I am really curious what the actual citizens of Glendale think about this deal. Are there any polls? I just don't see how anyone could support this deal. The NHL is a money loser in big markets. How the heck do they ever think it will work where it hasnt.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
And now everyone can get back to their cars and drive home to Phoenix and Scottsdale and other cities after encouraging a city down this path....

LOL

Well "everyone" was not there tonight. I suspect most people paying attention to it are where they were four hours ago - at their computer, online...in Canada!

:laugh:

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
that is so true...but dont forget they are familly now :shakehead

The great thing about this is that the monkeys are still dancing for my amusement.

I'm laughing now at these Coyote fans who think this is over. Especially that blubbering guy. Suck up buddy, you're supposed to be a hockey fan...

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Arthur is the best.

I genuinely admire the guy. A guy of his age who goes to every meeting and gives his opinion to make the city better. I am not being sarcastic (for once) when I tip my hat to him.

That being said, I think you still have a potential petition drive, the possibility the deal doesn't close in 65 days, and a Goldwater suit to contend with.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
Referendum won't matter. Only delays the process by 30 days. Still 49 days until new council/mayor take over. Referendum won't succeed because they'll need more than twice as many signatures as they collected last time. Referendum is basically a non issue at this point.

Basically we are waiting to find out if Jamison has the dough and if GWI has an ace in the hole.

I actually think that this is incorrect. I think they have 30 days to submit their petition for a referendum. You then need a number of days to setup the referendum vote and to execute on that.

I would anticipate that this would drag the date well beyond the Jan 31st deadline. Depending on how long it would take to get the signatures, they could even submit the referendum petition prior to the deal being signed by Skeete. Either way I think this comes back to a vote by the new council. I just don't see, given all of the hurdles that we know exist out there, that this gets wrapped up be Jan 31st or the 15th for that matter when the new council comes in an overturns this vote.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006

Sounds like this guy here's got it all figured out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
....they've already made the city agree to pay Jamison more than they would have had the city bought the team.

Indeed. I think the problem here though is that the NHL & Jamison have seriously overplayed their hands GKJ. These outgoing Council members have just written post dated checks that the City of Glendale cant possibly cover. The funds just arent there. The league will always come out ahead, they can pack it up & leave, sell for relo. The city itself obviously doesnt have that luxury.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
The thing is, in a referendum, all those Coyotes fans from Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc - guess what? they have no vote, and no say in a matter that involves Glendale Taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad