Phoenix LVIII; Will jobbing get jobbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
No, it won't. That is the one thing that won't give the league a black eye. Other communities are just going to assume that Glendale is a special case. You just have to look at Markham, they're making the same mistake as Glendale, yet they think it's going to turn out different.

You know what they say about opinions.

The funny thing is you have nothing to base yours on. :shakehead

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Interesting tweet from John Gambadoro:

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
Understand its not just that Jamison is 20 mill short of buying the Yotes its you need 30-40 mill in reserve to run team--operating capital!
Louis Schanz ‏@KingLouieLouie
@Gambo620 I hope Jamison has at least approached either IEH and/or Jeremy Roenick for some financial assistance..
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
@KingLouieLouie JR had a group willing to invest months ago but Jamison wasnt interested at that time

I'm guessing he meant Jerry Reinsdorf and not Jeremy Roenick, but that would have been awesome :laugh:

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Why not just go the Jets 1.0 route? Move the team now, and come back when they have their poop together. You already got an arena, let the team go and be profitable somewhere else and when you get a decent plan together with a stable owner (not IEH, Hulziser, JIG) put in your bid to re-join the league. Gary should have no problem letting a market like that back in if its in good hands.

Already been there. There is nowhere for them to go.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
The black eye of leaving a publicly financed arena (rhetoric or not) is what the league is trying to avoid.

Come on, haven't we been over this? What is the worse message to give to a municipality in a non-hockey market that foolishly wants to build a new arena for the NHL:

1) Build the arena and the team might be such a financial sinkhole that the team goes bankrupt, no one wants to own it there, and the team has no choice but to move, leaving your arena without a tenant.

2) Build the arena and we the NHL won't run out on you. We will come crawling back in a few years though and threaten to leave instantly if you don't agree to fund an additional amount somewhere around $375 million in potentially illegal subsidies to the owners of the hockey team over a 22 year period, severely front loaded.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Interesting tweet from John Gambadoro: I'm guessing he meant Jerry Reinsdorf and not Jeremy Roenick, but that would have been awesome :laugh:

... actually no WJG, I believe he is referring to Roenick, who a few months ago did go public with some statements to that effect. His primary residence is in Arizona & in interviews he gave at the time claimed to be part of a "group of investors" who were indeed chatting with Jamison, looking into it. Jamisons been beating the bushes for a year now, structured as "Units", so who's to say that Roenick & some of his pals havent ponied up at the low end, maybe collectively amongst 5 or 6 of them $15M or so?. Hard to say. Looking at his career earnings however, unless he's had some investments seriously paying off, I dont know where he finds even $2M or so that he can afford to drop & possibly lose.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Any news related to the lease agreement?

Not sure what all this means (if anything)...

1h Allie Seligman ‏@azc_aseligman
@gbaron58 Winkle v. Tucson. Decision said courts can't rule on the substance of an initiative until it is enacted.

FavoritedFavorite 1h Allie Seligman ‏@azc_aseligman
@MelanieGravel Not sure at this point. Attorneys for both sides also couldn't give an estimate. We'll be watching closely for updates.

@clifil Don't worry, I sent that as I was walking back to the car.

FavoritedFavorite 2h Allie Seligman ‏@azc_aseligman
Driving back to Glendale to write up my story. I can answer more questions on the hearing in about half an hour. Thanks for following along!

Kimmerle says Glendale's arguments were "smoke and mirrors" but now "it's in the judge's hands."

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
As long as the CoG keeps writing cheques the NHL will keep accepting them.

It's the NHL who pays 43,000$ per month to keep the agreement active isn't it? And I'd add a reporter in Quebec wrote on July 13th that the league could move a team until august 1st.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008

@gbaron58 Winkle v. Tucson. Decision said courts can't rule on the substance of an initiative until it is enacted.

@MelanieGravel Not sure at this point. Attorneys for both sides also couldn't give an estimate. We'll be watching closely for updates.

@clifil Don't worry, I sent that as I was walking back to the car.

Driving back to Glendale to write up my story. I can answer more questions on the hearing in about half an hour. Thanks for following along!

Kimmerle says Glendale's arguments were "smoke and mirrors" but now "it's in the judge's hands."

Yeah, they're gonna let it go to ballot is my guess and then duke it out. Judge will let it run its natural course and his law clerks are going to work like dogs.

If a final decision is made anywhere lower than AZ Supreme Court, I will be shocked.

Yes the US Constitution is in argument, but to the non-legal types, state courts are granted a wide swath of authority by the US Constitution also known as General Jurisdiction. Whereas Federal Courts are limited jurisdiction.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
... actually no WJG, I believe he is referring to Roenick, who a few months ago did go public with some statements to that effect. His primary residence is in Arizona & in interviews he gave at the time claimed to be part of a "group of investors" who were indeed chatting with Jamison, looking into it. Jamisons been beating the bushes for a year now, structured as "Units", so who's to say that Roenick & some of his pals havent ponied up at the low end, maybe collectively amongst 5 or 6 of them $15M or so?. Hard to say. Looking at his career earnings however, unless he's had some investments seriously paying off, I dont know where he finds even $2M or so that he can afford to drop & possibly lose.

J.R. is small time alright. He has put together investors in the past, but he himself is far from a heavyweight.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Already been there. QC is ready, willing and able. Just need the go ahead.
Here's to hoping QC gets this team, this season or next.

distinct position is likely this franchise will never be legally cleared, much like the supposed rumor that they were headed back to Winnipeg.....

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA

If the report is accurate, it probably means this:

July 16, 2012 - Yeah, it doesn't really have wide appeal and I don't think there will be much drama. SOS/Clerks reject petitions for frivolous reasons all the time. AZ-CS is littered with cases just like this. Tindall has almost no chance of keeping the initiative from going to the ballot.

So, strategically, if you cannot successfully attack the process of putting the measure on the ballot, then you resort to attacking the measure itself.

I don't know what's in the Glendale City Charter and it's usefulness is too narrow for me to invest any time in. I don't know if the charter can be amended to include setting a specific rate or if a voter mandate can be added to the charter. However, the question of "can you put an initiative on the ballot if the initiative is in eligible to actually take effect?" is a valid legal question and the answer is useful in a general sense, so I looked it up. The court has held that the SOS/Clerk has no authority to review the content of the initiative. Even if the initiative is ill formed and cannot take effect, the clerk has no power to prevent it from going to ballot. Further, courts have typically refused to hear arguments to enjoin initiatives prior to voting.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Already been there. QC is ready, willing and able. Just need the go ahead.
Here's to hoping QC gets this team, this season or next.

Willing and able......?? I'd say yes.

Ready.......?? From an emotional viewpoint, absolutely.... from a realistic viewpoint nope..... not yet.

Regardless.... they should keep pushing towards it.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
They will. Too late to move the team now, and besides, there may not even be a next season. But, As long as the CoG keeps writing cheques the NHL will keep accepting them.

I fully expect them to give the NHL 17 million while GJ continues to travel the middle east seeking investors.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I fully expect them to give the NHL 17 million while GJ continues to travel the middle east seeking investors.

... as do I, and of course its all been orchestrated & choreographed to work out that way. Im OK with the charade, it gives Jamison more time, the fans another season provided there is one, options be it Seattle or QC solidifying over the next 6-10mnths. Assuming there is a lockout or walkout, "an interruption in services", I wonder if the COG gets a break on the price, the fee's, or does the NHL magnanimously "forgive" the roughly $7-8M they were shorted through the 2011-12 seasons payment in consideration for the loss of mebbe 42+ or more games through 12-13, cashing the full $17M regardless?.

My God. Have you ever seen the like of this?. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad