Phoenix LVIII; Will jobbing get jobbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
Lisa Halverstadt ‏@LisaHalverstadt
#Glendale Councilwoman Joyce Clark says a judge has ruled in #Glendale’s favor in sales-tax case. Working to get copy of the ruling.

Well well....an interesting twist....what options lie ahead?

Anyone want to discuss the legal merits of an appeal?

Time for Jamison to excrement or get off the pot.....

Discuss! :D

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
#Glendale Councilwoman Joyce Clark says a judge has ruled in #Glendale’s favor in sales-tax case. Working to get copy of the ruling.

That is surprising. I discussed the legal merits of the case and did not see any way for the rejection to stand. So I'll defer to someone else on the appeal. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Judge will let it run its natural course and his law clerks are going to work like dogs.

"Sixty seven million in subdies from the City of Glendale
Thoity six objections sustained, tree over-ruled
Fawteen Summary Judgements sought
Thoiteen granit which is a hunnit percent

Twelve court days on the Moyes case alone
Tree hunnit an twenty billabill hours paralegal soivices
Four hunnit n' two billabill Associate Counsel an Consultative
Six hunit an eighty billabill at full Attorney Rate an eighty five lunches charged

Counseluh Bettman?, you are the engine that drives this league"

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
That is surprising. I discussed the legal merits of the case and did not see any way for the rejection to stand. So I'll defer to someone else on the appeal. ;)

Hey CasualFan, good to hear from you. As per the judicial process, can the group appeal the ruling? I guess we need to wait for the ruling to come out to understand the merits of why he ruled in favor of Glendale.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hey CasualFan, good to hear from you. As per the judicial process, can the group appeal the ruling? I guess we need to wait for the ruling to come out to understand the merits of why he ruled in favor of Glendale.

They can appeal to the AZ Supreme Court.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Oh thank goodness this thread is almost over, the bad spelling in the thread title was just driving me nuts. Now I can't wait to see it slip to page two....

BTW I still like mine: Doan like dinner.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh thank goodness this thread is almost over, the bad spelling in the thread title was just driving me nuts. Now I can't wait to see it slip to page two....

Once JIG fails, Doan like dinner would be good.......

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Here's the judge's ruling......

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/community/pdf/glendale-sales-tax-initiative-ruling.pdf

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So, is there anyone booking events at the Jobing these days?

... not particularly, what day is it? Tell ya what though Mr V, diggin the do & serious demeanour up there in yer avy, you available?.

... "jobbing"?. Like I said, take it up with manisback. Kings Bloody English. And you know how to start a thread, go for it with your "Done Like Dinner". Which it aint. Wont be ready until next spring. Better you should just put that back in yer recipe' file. Youve got Labour Day Weekend, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Pancake Tuesday, St. Patricks Day, Easter & Victoria Day weekend to get through before making a meal of it with that dish.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Here's the judge's ruling......

... interesting & expedited in quick fashion, decision rendered. Absolutely nothing standing in Jamisons way now, appeal or no appeal. Next moves up to GJ & the NHL. If it then follows that the GWI wishes to insert itself into the process, then by all means go right ahead & do so post closing, and take it to court. Something tells me theyve as much chance of shutting this thing down as the hapless Cobb & Jones, the Glendale tax petitioners.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
well thank goodness that pesky referendum is out of the way. now jamison can finally sign all the papers, collect his $325M, and get on with the hard work of rebuilding this team. whew. best of luck greg!

ps, anyone think bettman had a " he ruled what?!! well there goes that 'out'! more delays!!! why are people doing this to me??!? " reaction?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... anyone think bettman had a " he ruled what?!! well there goes that 'out'! more delays!!! why are people doing this to me??!? " reaction?

... thought crossed my mind. Running out of people to blame, excuses with their "third party interference" mantra & talking points.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
That's been the most taken out of context phrase in this soap opera........ ever.

But...... then again that's how people can get misled. ;)

nah, it was pretty clear what he meant. he didnt think her request was valid. so he told a colleague to play with her or ignore her. by any standard, that clearly indicates a lack of honesty and cooperation. not the sort of attitude you'd hope for from a senior public employee.

or, are you under the impression that he was suggesting a squash date?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

This is not a surprise, the case was very weak, just like cobb/jones, or the gift tax issue, which GWI will conveniently bow out, once the political/legal maneuvering is over. Good luck on appeal, chances are slim and none.

The real question remains, does Jamison have the investors?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
well thank goodness that pesky referendum is out of the way. now jamison can finally sign all the papers, collect his $325M, and get on with the hard work of rebuilding this team. whew. best of luck greg!

ps, anyone think bettman had a " he ruled what?!! well there goes that 'out'! more delays!!! why are people doing this to me??!? " reaction?

So now we will find out for sure if Jamison has the cash. With absolutely nothing to stop the process ( keeping in mind that the gift clause challenge can't occur until the deal is completed ) , if Jamison doesn't buy this team within the next 2 weeks then he doesn't have the money and never did.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
This is not a surprise, the case was very weak, just like cobb/jones, or the gift tax issue, which GWI will conveniently bow out, once the political/legal maneuvering is over. Good luck on appeal, chances are slim and none.

If you say so.

Here's my analysis from two weeks ago: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52505193&postcount=84

And here's the ruling: http://www.azcentral.com/ic/community/pdf/glendale-sales-tax-initiative-ruling.pdf

The judge held for plaintiff on (1) and (3). I would continue to assert that (2) is not expressly fatal. However, either the case was not briefed properly or the judge disagreed.

We'll see if they appeal. Otherwise, one step closer to a potential gift clause challenge (assuming that JIG can close and Goldwater would file. Those are kind of big "ifs" but it could still happen.)

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Phoenix LIX: Where in the world is Greg Jamison?

Ooah.....ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ah......

Well he sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina,
He's a sticky-fingered businessman from Berlin down to Belize,
He'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to Glendale,
Tell me where in the world is Greg Jamison?

Steal their team in Arizona, make Antarctica cry Uncle,
From the Red Sea to Greenland they'll be singing the blues,
Well they''ll never see him exit the desert,

He go from Nashville to Norway, Bonaire to Zimbabwe,
Chicago to Czechoslovakia for money!

Well he'll ransack the NHL and run a scam in Canada,
Then he'll stick 'em up Down Under and go pick-pocket the taxpayers,
He put the Miss in misdemeanor when he stole the council's money,

Oh tell me where in the world is... Oh tell me where can he be?

Ooh, Botswana to Thailand, Milan via Amsterdam,
Mali to Bali, Ohio, Oahu...!

Well he glides around the globe and he'll flimflam every nation,
He's a double-dealing madman with a taste for hockey,
His itinerary's loaded up with relocating violations,

PS: I loved (the Québecois version) of that show! was Canada's greatest game show ever in my opinion.

(you can skip to 23 minutes for the song)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad