Phoenix LVIII; Will jobbing get jobbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I see you are well versed on the job description of the SOS in Az to know it's pretty much 'force petitions on the ballot anyway'.

Unfortunately, although you sound as if you know exactly what our SOS will do, I know him to be more inclined to dismiss and invalidate thousands of signatures of voters on petitions on a 'technical' violation of the law than to overlook one to force a 'petition on the ballot anyway'.

So, look for this to move swiftly through the courts, and be resolved in HockeysFuture.com's FAVORITE COYOTES RELATED TIMESPAN (I don't even have to say it do I... oh heck...1,209,600 seconds).
He's a Republican and it a Presidential year you think they pass on a chance to publicly be against higher tax!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So I gather GJ and the JIG didn't finalize the deal today. It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friends.

Perhaps a reporter could actually ask GJ if he has the $$$$. Surely he has a phone # or e-mail, maybe he even has a working FAX machine. ;)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
So I gather GJ and the JIG didn't finalize the deal today. It's the same old story, same old song and dance, my friends.

Perhaps a reporter could actually ask GJ if he has the $$$$. Surely he has a phone # or e-mail, maybe he even has a working FAX machine. ;)

As had been said numerous times... **** or get off the pot.

Sadly I expect jig will still be sitting there in....two weeks.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
V

It's called business development dinners hah.

It was a play on words and spelling.

Twas a long day, looking forward to next week with no appearances...get to send the 2nd year on those lol.

Edit. One conference is with 18 parties, the judge never takes the bench on that one...she sits at the counsel table no robe either.

Sadist I am, but unfortunately for our second year greenhorn, he learns what its like to be the first one who talks to her (when her court attorney and part clerk are on lunch) and has to take down everyone's appearances and write out the entire conference order and deposition schedule (that we've repeatedly blown for discovery disputes) for 63 witnesses.

Cue evil grin.

No robe? Gross. Hope that's not the cause of your evil grin.

Our favorite city clerk learns the difficulty rules regarding preservation.

Maybe that person can get a job and be jobbed at the famous eatery "****** wok"

how so?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
... hard to say when it'll be heard, I guess youd have to look at the courts calendars. Thing is, if Tindalls assertions are correct, that they failed to follow proper procedure, left off their Registration #'s etc, the courts are usually pretty quick to throw suits out on technicalities, regardless of the merit (or not) of any given complaint.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ss-group-files-lawsuit-vs-sales-tax-hike.html

Really, huh? No need to hire a lawyer with expertise in the area I guess. If Killion says so...

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Really, huh? No need to hire a lawyer with expertise in the area I guess. If Killion says so...

They probably should have hired one before they went out collecting signatures.

Or one that can read the instruction booklet they were given on how to do it.

fishbert

Feb 22, 2012
Regardless of lawsuits if the Arizona Secretary of State find that Glendale is disparaging voters by refusing both petition he could force them on the ballot anyway. It a really long lease that going to cost Glendale so much money that they don't have, it kind of amazing that the state as yet to step in and kill this thing before Glendale go bankrupt.
I see you are well versed on the job description of the SOS in Az to know it's pretty much 'force petitions on the ballot anyway'.

Unfortunately, although you sound as if you know exactly what our SOS will do, I know him to be more inclined to dismiss and invalidate thousands of signatures of voters on petitions on a 'technical' violation of the law than to overlook one to force a 'petition on the ballot anyway'.

So, look for this to move swiftly through the courts, and be resolved in HockeysFuture.com's FAVORITE COYOTES RELATED TIMESPAN (I don't even have to say it do I... oh heck...1,209,600 seconds).

He's a Republican and it a Presidential year you think they pass on a chance to publicly be against higher tax!

Didn't realize the Arizona Secretary of State had anything to do with City of Glendale ballot measures... learn something new every day.

fishbert

Feb 22, 2012
... sartorially challenged Sir. Soviet era abominations.
Here, try these ones on for size, some tweaking req'd...

phoenix_coyotes_concept_by_notmatthias-d3gty82.png

I really like that primary logo... much better than the simpler version they have now.

Retail1LO*

I have a question, and hopefully someone here can answer it sufficiently such that it doesn't derail the primary topic. I've seen some mention that a possible scenario would be for the league to fold the Coyotes, then award QC an expansion team. My understanding is that in doing so, the league would make much more money through an expansion fee, than a relocation fee. But how does that work then? They'd have a dispersal draft to redistribute the Coyote roster to other 29 teams? What about prospects in the Phoenix system? How would that effect the salary caps of the teams drafting the dispersed players? Would there not then have to be an expansion draft immediately there after to populate the roster of the new team? To me, it would seem that folding the PHX team, should it come to be that they are no more, would be complicated at best. Is it possible to fold a team, award an expansion team, and simply move an entire roster after the fact? Is it also possible that the players would be made UFA's were the team to fold?

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
I can see the courts saying to Glendale and SOS that they failed to preserve the defense on rejection of the petitions.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008

In the law, you have to establish your allegations or defenses in a complaint or answer and its a very large thing. Like in a motor vehicle case if you want to assert that someone wasn't wearing their seatbelt you need to make a motion to amend your answer to assert that.

Some areas, there is no leeway and failing to establish can be fatal (not fixable). Here in NY, municipalities have to establish their defenses on a rejection notice (whether it is zoning application, permit rejection, etc).

The lower court may let it slide, but the appellate terms and appellate divisions usually catch and kick such causes under preservation.

Dark4ng3l

Dec 7, 2006
Don't forget that even if the team is not viable right now that after the upcoming lockout it could be reasonable to operate.

If the player share goes down to something like 50% (and with "redefined" HRR on top) with a few other things like lower salary floor/ longer rookie contracts you could make buying this team MUCH more attractive (or even make franchise values go way up with the lower player costs).

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Could the reason for the slow moving purchase of the Coyotes be that it was never meant to happen? I'm wondering if what we're watching here is a showdown between the NHL Board of Governors and Pierre-Karl Peladeau? As in the NHL wants $XXX millions PLUS a relocation fee for the purchase price, and Peladeau is refusing to pay an inflated price for the team. Peladeau would hold the hammer if Glendale doesn't pay the Arena Management Fee to the NHL, forcing the league to shoulder the team's losses for the next season.

Could this be a possibility? Or am I seeing conspiracies everywhere?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Could the reason for the slow moving purchase of the Coyotes be that it was never meant to happen? I'm wondering if what we're watching here is a showdown between the NHL Board of Governors and Pierre-Karl Peladeau? As in the NHL wants $XXX millions PLUS a relocation fee for the purchase price, and Peladeau is refusing to pay an inflated price for the team. Peladeau would hold the hammer if Glendale doesn't pay the Arena Management Fee to the NHL, forcing the league to shoulder the team's losses for the next season.

Your PKP scenario is plausible, but I would urge caution in screwing too far with the league. Right Jim Balsille?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

This is the nost logical explanation I can think of.

Given the NHL's CBA offer, it looks there won't be hockey for a very long time and therefore more than enough time to work this out.

No need for the NHL to jump the gun. Best thing it can do is to leave all options available, realistic or not, until they find the right fit.

I'm not expecting anything anytime soon.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Darth Monty, that used to be my favorite conspiracy theory. Now I think it's just more likely that Gary Bettman really, really wants to stay in Glendale because he just doesn't want to lose that market, so he's giving Jamison every opportunity to come up with the money.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... :laugh: yepp, nice try MAROONS. You'll have to get up a lot earlier in the morning than you did when you posted that little invitation to a gunfight. As another poster opined, these brainiacs' with their PAC's & Petitions shouldve' at minimum consulted with an Attorney familiar with the process when the idea to do so was still just a sliver in their bloodshot eyeballs. Do it right or dont bother at all. Now that sliver's turned into a log. You always, ALWAYS consult with and or retain the services of a Lawyer when contemplating actions of this nature. Full stop. No matter how simple the rules & regulations available from City Clerks' or States' offices combined with your pocket vest sized Anarchists Handbook may tell you the process may be.

...Killion says so. I just asked him before he got bored & took off after another Crow.

...Could this be a possibility? Or am I seeing conspiracies everywhere?

... perfectly plausible, and as put forward by numerous posters including myself weeks upon weeks ago & discussed at length through several threads actually. So ya. What if PKP presented the NHL with a Deadline & take it or leave it best offer if they expected him to take on the franchise for the 2012-13 season?. Deadline being April 15th, May 15th, maybe as late as June 15th; willing to pay $170M, heck, maybe even $200M (though it was rumoured he'd go as high as $230-240M), basically getting the NHL off the hook altogether with their debts, breaking even. And what if that offer wasnt good enough for Bettman & or a few members of the BOG's?. Maybe they demanded some crazy relo fee on top of the sale price?. Who knows?.

Why should Quebec pay more than Winnipeg?. Same sized market. Similar in most respects. Then theres the logistics. Unlike Winnipeg who had an infrastructure in place with the AHL Moose, even they were hard pushed to get everything ready from basically early June through the summer, and they'd been laying all kinds of tracks for months on the qt, for about 2yrs prior to the actual purchase of the Thrashers with arena up-grades and other activities. Its not impossible to move a team in July, August, even mid-season. But its one Hell of a nightmare. I have no doubt whatsoever that Quebec could actually pull it off and they just might be asked to do so even still, however, it seems more & more implausible as the summer wears on. So price, logistics, pending lockout, why tie up all that capital, unfavourable at this moment in time.

Then you have to consider the NHL's perspective. Why sell the Coyotes to a market from which they could very well receive lets say $200M for an Expansion Franchise, the cash arriving unencumbered, pure profit?. If they sell PKP the Yotes, that moneys gone to BankAmerica to pay off the line of credit they've been using, buying the franchise out of bankruptcy for $142M, paying on-going expenses. Maybe they fully expect a lockout, no hockey at all until December, perhaps the entire season washed out?. Just sit on it, no deadline for Jamison to close in Phoenix because there wont be any games being played to begin with so by all means, take your time. Youve got a year, and coming out the other end with a new CBA, the very real possibility that its terms will be more than favourable in attracting investors who to date wont touch NHL franchises, much less Phoenix with a barge pole?. All kinds of perfectly reasonable "theories" to consider in contemplating the mysterious goings on with this situation.

No need for tinfoil.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

By the way, which parts of the post to which you responded do you disagree with, and on what basis?

Nothing. I enjoy your posts Whileee.

However, I think the GWI will do (little or) nothing when GJ and the NHL sign a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dado

...these brainiacs' with their PAC's & Petitions shouldve' at minimum consulted with an Attorney familiar with the process when the idea to do so was still just a sliver in their bloodshot eyeballs.

The thing is, though, where (GWI) could (GWI) they (GWI) have (GWI) found (GWI) a couple of legal beagles (GWI) of similar mindset (GWI) and desires (GWI)?

I mean (GWI), people like that (GWI) don't grow on (GWI) trees....especially on (GWI) short (GWI) notice...

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I think its possible, but put this in the context of the labour negotiations.

Judging from the first CBA offer, the NHL is preparing for a work stoppage. However while the offer is hardball with the NHLPA, it doesn't help the PHX situation. The financial hit on many southern teams will be too much to bare, especially the Coyotes, and it will difficult to retain fans in a fan revenue-driven league.

How this is all settled, is anyone's guess - but someone should one day write a book on the saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad