Phoenix CXXIV: Is there a statute of limitations on Perjury in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
No, but I think the expansion process raised questions within the NHL about Quebecor's ability to pay. It felt like, when I heard and read statements on QC's bid, that maybe elements of how a smaller-market Canadian team would work well might have been glossed over or been more general than the NHL would have liked. There was a lot of rhetoric about QC being the perfect candidate with a built-in, ravenous fan base with a new arena, and by and large I think it's true... but I personally got a different vibe than I did from TNSE when they ended up taking on the Thrashers. TNSE's case was planned out in extreme detail over a period of years, whilst Quebecor's seems more like an Oklahoma land rush by comparison.

It's just my gut feeling so I am in all likelihood wrong - I just read between the lines a bit on some of the statements issued by Bettman and the BoG during the expansion process with regards to QC that led me to believe that one or two ducklings might not be lined up in the right row.

If we assume you are right (not saying you are not), NHL did work with Quebecor to save :

a) Quebecor's face
b) NHL's price tag

If Quebecor publicly says they don't have the money to pay. For them, its a disaster for every single business they own in Quebec because they publicly stated being the only company in the whole province being able to bring back the Nordiques.

The $500M price tag has been rumored and widely known way before the expansion process opened. They still went ahead.

Then, if Quebecor publicly declares not being able to pay $500M, then Vegas/Foley is the exception to the rule, not the trend setter.

So, NHL owes as much to Quebecor as Quebecor owes to NHL. They are partners. Quebecor was invited to the official announce all while it was known for months that they were being denied expansion team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The latest Senate (those referenced are for the House side) agenda (likely for either for Thursday or Friday) will not be posted for a few hours yet...patience... ;)

Llama?.. why you so mean to Lawyers?

ooFlWa2.gif

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It's just my gut feeling so I am in all likelihood wrong - I just read between the lines a bit on some of the statements issued by Bettman and the BoG during the expansion process with regards to QC that led me to believe that one or two ducklings might not be lined up in the right row.

Imo the two ducklings not in a row are Carolina & Arizona (Florida as well but that's 11 years down the road). If the NHL gave an expension to Quebec, what would be their fall back plan if a franchise like the Coyotes need to move in an hurry like Atlanta? I think Quebec is the safety blanket of the NHL and that Quebecor is fine with it.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
The latest Senate (those referenced are for the House side) agenda (likely for either for Thursday or Friday) will not be posted for a few hours yet...patience... ;)

Looks like another 6 bills added. None SB1149. All we need is just a little patience. Mmm, yeah.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we assume you are right (not saying you are not), NHL did work with Quebecor to save :

a) Quebecor's face
b) NHL's price tag

If Quebecor publicly says they don't have the money to pay. For them, its a disaster for every single business they own in Quebec because they publicly stated being the only company in the whole province being able to bring back the Nordiques.

The $500M price tag has been rumored and widely known way before the expansion process opened. They still went ahead.

Then, if Quebecor publicly declares not being able to pay $500M, then Vegas/Foley is the exception to the rule, not the trend setter.

So, NHL owes as much to Quebecor as Quebecor owes to NHL. They are partners. Quebecor was invited to the official announce all while it was known for months that they were being denied expansion team.

I think this is probably accurate. I don't think what you posted and what I posted conflict, either - the expansion process allowed the NHL to defuse a little bit of the "bum rush" in QC towards a franchise. Maybe give them a chance to ease off the accelerator a bit and draw up some more detailed analyses and plans for the future. That can only bode well for QC if they get a relocated team, too, as they will be armed with more than just fan passion and an open checkbook once it happens.

Imo the two ducklings not in a row are Carolina & Arizona (Florida as well but that's 11 years down the road). If the NHL gave an expension to Quebec, what would be their fall back plan if a franchise like the Coyotes need to move in an hurry like Atlanta? I think Quebec is the safety blanket of the NHL and that Quebecor is fine with it.

The relocation availability, to me, is a bonus. I think, as I mentioned above, that to saddle Quebecor with the costs of buying + moving/expanding so soon after getting Centre Videotron built would not have been the most stable move of all time. The delay helps Quebecor move ahead with a bit more breathing room.

Jerry Moyes thought he was a genius hiring. *mic drop*

It might have been if Gretzky had been Team Ambassador or something and actually went into the market and made the case for hockey in Arizona, rather than basically setting up his own country club and commuting in from Los Angeles when he felt like being at a practice.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Looks like another 6 bills added. None SB1149. All we need is just a little patience. Mmm, yeah.

There are actually eight bills :)D) for the Senate COW to take up...but they are all House bills...

After tomorrow...just six more session days (i.e., until March 24) for the Senate to bring this bill for a floor vote...

If not done before then...no arena...

Unless LeBlanc can manage to have Sen Worsley call a 'special session'...because, you know, LeBlanc is 'special'...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's not lack of time but lack of support.

If the bill had enough support there would be plenty of time to pass it.

If it doesn't have enough support it won't reach the floor no matter how much time they have.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
the dollar exchange was quite volatile during the 11 months between july 15 when bids were requested and june 16 when vegas was awarded a franchise. where it started and where it ended up were relatively equal around $1.28 but it skyrocketed in jan 2016 to close to $1.50. it's around $1.33 now.

given how much of it's revenues are based in canadian dollars (gate, local and national tv) and player salaries are in us dollars, for a time there it looked like as much as a 20% shortfall. i have no idea how profitable this franchise could potentially be but that would give me pause ... if i were either PKP or Bettman.

i think this is all about money ... and of course, saving a landing spot.

My guess is that while they could have paid the 500 mill, it would have set the franchise so far back financially to start, they didn't see it as worth it.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Call it a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised if L'ill Gary surfaces in Arizona in the next few days. The final push will be on.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Call it a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised if L'ill Gary surfaces in Arizona in the next few days. The final push will be on.

There has to be better things he could do with his time.

What's he going to do? Threaten the Governor in person? Distribute incentives to make things go his way? (I've always wondered if that's what happened before the Glendale vote.)

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
What's he going to do? Threaten the Governor in person? Distribute incentives to make things go his way? (I've always wondered if that's what happened before the Glendale vote.)

He apparently had a one-on-one meeting with Nenshi earlier today about the CalgaryNext project so why not?

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

Will he be donning his Dr. Evil costume or his best Cobra Commander hood to make the ransom demand? :naughty:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
He apparently had a one-on-one meeting with Nenshi earlier today about the CalgaryNext project so why not?

Maybe he's on his "new arenas for everyone" trip?

Given his quote for the Flames arena situation, I imagine it might be similar.

"Obviously the Coyotes... the State of Arizona... need a new building. This one is out of date, it's important for the team, it's future and stability. And it's important for the community, it's quality of life... it's a work in progress. And I think with the right commitment from the State... I know Coyotes ownership is working real hard, and hopefully it'll be a reallity much sooner rather then later. Or else, but we're committed to Phoenix."

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

"Obviously the Coyotes... the State of Arizona... need a new building. This one is out of date, it's important for the team, it's future and stability. And it's important for the community, it's quality of life... it's a work in progress. And I think with the right commitment from the State... I know Coyotes ownership is working real hard, and hopefully it'll be a reallity much sooner rather then later. Or else, but we're committed to Phoenix."

That's exactly what he doing. He was in EDM to see the new digs and actually used Garth Brooks to justify EDM building the new arena. Then he went to Calgary to tell them they have a dump and that's why Garth Brooks won't come to Calgary.

Bettman feels the fact that Garth Brooks recently sold out nine shows in Edmonton and didn’t even play Calgary is proof that newer arenas offer multi-faceted benefits to cities. The NHL commissioner hopes the success of Rogers Place will spur some action on a new venue for the Flames.

Yup, the ol' city against city business plan. City A has a new bobble so City B needs one as well.

I need to put on hip waders every time Bettman opens his mouth.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
That's exactly what he doing. He was in EDM to see the new digs and actually used Garth Brooks to justify EDM building the new arena. Then he went to Calgary to tell them they have a dump and that's why Garth Brooks won't come to Calgary.

Bettman feels the fact that Garth Brooks recently sold out nine shows in Edmonton and didn’t even play Calgary is proof that newer arenas offer multi-faceted benefits to cities. The NHL commissioner hopes the success of Rogers Place will spur some action on a new venue for the Flames.

Yup, the ol' city against city business plan. City A has a new bobble so City B needs one as well.

True. And, it will happen in Calgary. The question is: How much $$ is the Calgary ownership going to need to put into the new building. And, for that, I applaud the City of Calgary for rejecting CalgaryNEXT. It was a horrible deal for the city,

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Do you have a source link for that Bettman quote on the Coyotes while talking about Calgary's situation?

Thank you.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA

To be fair the Saddledome was built in 1983. Before a new arena would be ready to host the Flames it will be around 40 years old. That is a good long life so I don't think saying that it might be time for another building is completely out of line.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Captain Auston Matthews in a Coyotes uniform carrying the Stanley Cup around the ice at a new 18,000 seat arena in Scottsdale might do it.

If you're going to daydream, at least have a nice one

Fixed that for you.

To be fair the Saddledome was built in 1983. Before a new arena would be ready to host the Flames it will be around 40 years old. That is a good long life so I don't think saying that it might be time for another building is completely out of line.

Yeah, Calgary actually does need a new barn. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that the place got flooded, too? But the indication that public money should pay for it is as distasteful as it has been here in AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated: