Phoenix CXXIV: Is there a statute of limitations on Perjury in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So Friedman and Shannon both got the NHL's memo today. Expect a few other NHL affiliated journalists to forward a similar rhetoric for the next few weeks.

NHL and Axiom appear to still be lobbying.

As for Tony wasn't he last heard saying he was "Living the dream"?

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
So Friedman and Shannon both got the NHL's memo today. Expect a few other NHL affiliated journalists to forward a similar rhetoric for the next few weeks.

NHL and Axiom appear to still be lobbying.

As for Tony wasn't he last heard saying he was "Living the dream"?

Maybe he has to use up all his accrued vacation time before he is terminated? IA can't afford to pay him out.:)

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Could be.... but we've heard all this before.

They did have more than one option they were considering before pursuing the legislation with ASU. But it isn't known if any of these other options would have involved or required said same legislation or not. Because the legislation was custom tailored for ASU. Not location agnostic as it was later amended to.

JMO.... but everyone has spent too much time trying to predict the impending doom rather than just weighing the pros and cons of what is being attempted. That's why I won't commit to saying they're going to stay or go.

So, to summarize the past couple of years since I really followed this stuff.

1) Bettman lied when he said Glendale could support hockey if they had a better owner
2) Bettman and IA are now asking for money from the state for a new arena because CoG FINALLY told them to go pound sand
3) Bettman still has no plan for hockey in AZ
4) No one knows what happened to that punk kid from phoenix that appeared before CoG in a hockey jersey begging the city to fork over millions
5) so basically nothing has changed since the bankruptcy filing other than the owners have changed and the team is still hemorrhaging money

The most infuriating part of the whole mess. This should be a PR disaster for the NHL. A crap storm that rival the PED scandal, and might have included a trip to the US congress for Garry to answer a few uncomfortable questions. It only the broadcasters using kids glove on this story that preventing it to blow up.

Just goes to show how important hockey is in the US sports scene.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Even you can't deny they've had more than one chance to move the team to another market with much less optical damage.... and haven't. ;)

If they say they are going to exhaust all possibilities and they already have at least one more season committed to GRA, then I reckon we have at least another year's worth of posts filled with dead certain predictions on what will happen to look forward to. :sarcasm:

I don't think this will end anytime soon either.

Seattle isn't ready.

If the NHL wanted to move this franchise to QC that would have happened long ago.

There is nowhere else to go.

I think the "long game" for the NHL is to prolong these farcical ploys in Arizona to create the false impression that they are really trying to keep the franchise in place, while at the same time they do what they can to cultivate a favoured destination in the PNW.

In the meantime, their options are to move it to QC; mothball the franchise; or keep footing the losses.

My guess is they take Door #3.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
When does the special district bill come to the floor?
Anytime between now and never. My money is on never, Garry letter put Arizona political class in a bad spot. They don't want to vote for this bill, they don't want to vote against it either, and some want to tell Garry to screw off. The Governor called it a ultimatum. The only good news for the NHL is they did not put the bill up for a vote immediately in order to defeat it to send a message. The way out of that trap is to not just hold a vote at all.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
The complete lack of coverage on this story from 09-15 is how I found HF boards. I loitered here for awhile before joining, but even in 2015 when Glendale cancelled the lease, there was minimal coverage of it anywhere. I was scouring Google for info & barely anything popped up. The same story was reprinted on a few news sites, but it all was regurgitated propaganda direct from the League. I was dumbfounded that it was being almost completely ignored.

Finding this thread was almost like stumbling upon an oasis in the desert (sorry for the bad pun). There is nowhere on the web or anyplace else that knows as much about this saga than right here.

I lurked for something like a year and a half to two years before joining. I got wind of the Coyotes saga through some national article, was curious to read more, was not satisfied with the news, so did a general search and came up with HFBoards. I started reading here and found it the greatest repository of information and links on the subject. I began noticing whenever the national media covered it, they issued drive-by stories, going by fast just to cover it, not going in depth, often not getting the details right (those two points are connected as the national media didn't seem to understand the story was an iceberg, not a little jutting chunk of ice).

(Re: 2nd paragraph) That seems to be the way it is, be it sports news or national news stories. Sometimes there are subjects media sources won't touch or are oblivious to. Other times they are behind the curve and the right place can be days, sometimes even weeks to months ahead of the curve on the information uncovered. It can be difficult trying to find such places, but once you find one, it feels so refreshing to find substantive information and discussion on a subject. It feels nice to cut through a lot of the crap or filler and find such places (I still haven't found a place with any ongoing discussion of Planet X/Planet 9 that's substantive and informed, without any Nibiru bunk or amateur clutter, like wherever astronomers discuss the papers and latest data as the news front on it has been quiet for months despite its suspected location region being in the prime night sky for winter).

The most infuriating part of the whole mess. This should be a PR disaster for the NHL. A crap storm that rival the PED scandal, and might have included a trip to the US congress for Garry to answer a few uncomfortable questions. It only the broadcasters using kids glove on this story that preventing it to blow up.
Well, if Li'l Gary times it right, he can make a potential relocation be completely invisible.

Last edited:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
When does the special district bill come to the floor?

I'm guessing it doesn't come up at all, since the sponsors by all accounts don't have enough votes, and there isn't any real incentive for them to publicly go down in flames. I think it will expire with a wimper. But bill scheduling is day-to-day, so we'll keep watching if it gets on the calendar.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So I take it SB1149 is not on tomorrow's agenda.

As for the Shannon tweet above, I wonder what prompted it today.

No 'new' relocation rumours have come out in the past day or so and there have been no recent push back articles from Glendale in a past couple days I'm aware of. I can't see it being in response to today's G & M article. That would seem over sensitive.

Just seems like they're trying to 'sell' the commitment to Arizona a little hard here and feel the need to 'remind' everyone.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
And if they stay another year in Glendale any guesses as to what this debacle and the on ice product will do to attendance? Also, the situation as it relates to salary cap floor. Pronger and Datsyuk contracts will be coming off the books, Doan has likely played his last season. How in the world are Gary and the clowns going to achieve the the cap floor with a team full of low cost draft picks?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
About Shannon's tweet. Bettman is still hoping for a new arena. But, there is nothing really new in that tweet. He is hopeful for Arizona, AS LONG AS THEY GET A NEW ARENA.

Still nothing, really on what happens if the bill fails.

Oh well.... Where's the popcorn.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think you guys overestimate how interesting this story really is in being surprised it doesn't get more coverage than it does.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I think you guys overestimate how interesting this story really is in being surprised it doesn't get more coverage than it does.

Are you kidding? This story has consumed 1/2 the world's popcorn supply since it went to bankruptcy in 2009! And we have the emoticons to prove it! Pre-sales of the authorized official book of this saga have aready outsold the Harry Potter series! No, this is the biggest news since Al Gore invented the internet. And if you'll recall, that didn't get much coverage, either!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Says a bass player... Remember to turn clocks ahead last wknd?. NC, you keep turning it ahead by 10 years trying to catch-up & miss all the fun ... "overestimate"?... :wedgie: ..... what year is it there now, 1957? 77? ..... ya'll hit the 80's yet?

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't think this will end anytime soon either.

Seattle isn't ready.

If the NHL wanted to move this franchise to QC that would have happened long ago.

There is nowhere else to go.

I think the "long game" for the NHL is to prolong these farcical ploys in Arizona to create the false impression that they are really trying to keep the franchise in place, while at the same time they do what they can to cultivate a favoured destination in the PNW.

In the meantime, their options are to move it to QC; mothball the franchise; or keep footing the losses.

My guess is they take Door #3.

Pretty much a good summary.

But Door #3 leads to Door #4 which is maybe a year away in Seattle.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And if they stay another year in Glendale any guesses as to what this debacle and the on ice product will do to attendance? Also, the situation as it relates to salary cap floor. Pronger and Datsyuk contracts will be coming off the books, Doan has likely played his last season. How in the world are Gary and the clowns going to achieve the the cap floor with a team full of low cost draft picks?

How about worrying about it when the time comes after the drafts and FA periods.??

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Let's say Glendale didn't cancel the lease. This team still wouldn't be close to profitability, which means they're still spending close to the cap floor in actual dollars (not IR contracts) & not able to attract or pay quality free agent talent. Which in turn means they're probably not competing for the playoffs even with the AMF still in place.

This team has always had way bigger issues than their subsidy being taken away. They simply do not have owners willing to invest in their on-ice product.

You don't know that.

The Coyotes under NHL's watch had next to zero scouts under payroll. In the past two years they've expanded their scouting and coaching departments dramatically. Because to build a top tier team you have to have the infrastructure in place before anything. Look at what Vegas is doing and they haven't even filled a roster yet.

Rather than opening up the vaults to buy themselves a roster full of high priced vets they went the route of building from the ground up with prospects. Colorado is currently sitting near the cap ceiling and they aren't carrying any dead contracts AFAIK. They spent a lot of money locking up several players to long expensive deals and where has it got them??

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
About Shannon's tweet. Bettman is still hoping for a new arena. But, there is nothing really new in that tweet. He is hopeful for Arizona, AS LONG AS THEY GET A NEW ARENA.

Still nothing, really on what happens if the bill fails.

Oh well.... Where's the popcorn.

I think this may call for a bigger venue......

popcornhouse.jpg

Seriously tho.... Shannon's tweet really means nothing here.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
More "blame the southern markets for high Leafs ticket prices", when in reality the Leafs charge what they do because they know they can get it.

Evidently they love a straw man up north just as much as Americans do, not to mention deflection. Now we know IceArizona sets Maple Leafs ticket prices. Who knew? :sarcasm:

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Sounds like Gary is trying to hoodwink Arizona into another new arena when there is a perfectly good one sitting where they are. If they get it, what guarantee is it the team will actually utilize it? Its not like the team has been a contender for any decent amount of time when they did get the new arena in Glendale to begin with (a year here and a year there does not count)

Why does anyone think hockey in Seattle will actually work? Cause its close to Vancouver? Noone really cares about hockey in Seattle even when the Canucks were doing good. Been down to Seattle tons of times over the years, and noone has ever asked me about the NHL or Canucks. But talk NFL, MLB and NBA (well that hate Stern for letting the Sonics move when they had Durant)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You don't know that.

The Coyotes under NHL's watch had next to zero scouts under payroll. In the past two years they've expanded their scouting and coaching departments dramatically. Because to build a top tier team you have to have the infrastructure in place before anything. Look at what Vegas is doing and they haven't even filled a roster yet.

Rather than opening up the vaults to buy themselves a roster full of high priced vets they went the route of building from the ground up with prospects. Colorado is currently sitting near the cap ceiling and they aren't carrying any dead contracts AFAIK. They spent a lot of money locking up several players to long expensive deals and where has it got them??

I understand that spending lavishly on free agents is not a magic potion for success. However, this is the 4th year of IAs ownership & they've gotten further away from the playoffs each year. So it's safe to say we DO know that this ownership group is either unwilling or unable financially to invest real dollars to put a competitive product on the ice.

Their moneyball GM is doing the best he can under the circumstances, but the market has shown in every sport, the majority of Phoenix fans will only support winners. Which is another reason they are limited in how much the owners will spend on players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad