Phoenix CXXIV: Is there a statute of limitations on Perjury in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
To be fair the Saddledome was built in 1983. Before a new arena would be ready to host the Flames it will be around 40 years old. That is a good long life so I don't think saying that it might be time for another building is completely out of line.

And that's fine, and I agree that Calgary needs a new arena. Then Bettman needs to say that, and say why from a hockey in Calgary point of view, instead of : well Garth Brooks doesn't like it so you need a new building or pitting city against city.

It's always the same with Bettman... drive the economy... create massive amounts of jobs... all of which never happens. If Calgary needs and wants a new arena then it is up to the people in that city to decide if they do and how to pay for it. It's just garbage when Bettman comes in and says you must or we will move or you must because so and so did it.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
TNSE's case was planned out in extreme detail over a period of years, whilst Quebecor's seems more like an Oklahoma land rush by comparison.

The business case for a small Canadian market franchise changes a lot when you pay $500m instead of $230m, and have a Canadian dollar at $0.75 instead of at parity, as it was when the Thrashers moved.

Quebecor would have to shell out $670m CAD for that franchise. Simply paying off the debt for that would mean the franchise would have to make profits of around $35m CAD. That seems unlikely in the current environment. I'd bet the Jets are barely breaking even right now, and are relying on revenue sharing to pay their bills.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
And that's fine, and I agree that Calgary needs a new arena. Then Bettman needs to say that, and say why from a hockey in Calgary point of view, instead of : well Garth Brooks doesn't like it so you need a new building or pitting city against city.

It's always the same with Bettman... drive the economy... create massive amounts of jobs... all of which never happens. If Calgary needs and wants a new arena then it is up to the people in that city to decide if they do and how to pay for it. It's just garbage when Bettman comes in and says you must or we will move or you must because so and so did it.

I would say that so long as the team isn't consistently getting revenue sharing handouts and the owners are economically stable and satisfied, you are correct. None of his business. But you and I both know that's not how things work in this league. Also Bettman has done a good job being the bad guy, we don't know if the owners of the Flames are quietly asking him to mention this on their behalf. He does work for them after all.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, Calgary actually does need a new barn. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that the place got flooded, too? But the indication that public money should pay for it is as distasteful as it has been here in AZ.

Cliff's notes of the thread dedicated to this:
-Saddledome is built like a fallout shelter. They stripped out the fabrics and the scoreboard but AFAIK the flood did absolutely nothing to the structure.
-Between oil prices still being shaky, the dominance of the proposed new LRT line in public discourse, and the NDP ramping up taxation, the timing of these demands for public funds is atrociously bad.
-The CalgaryNext proposal sucks. The location is intrusive to residents in the area and is dependent on a site cleanup that will balloon construction costs out of control. It makes substantially more sense to put it in Victoria Park where you have the same benefits the Saddledome has being right adjacent to the Stampede grounds.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The business case for a small Canadian market franchise changes a lot when you pay $500m instead of $230m, and have a Canadian dollar at $0.75 instead of at parity, as it was when the Thrashers moved.

Quebecor would have to shell out $670m CAD for that franchise. Simply paying off the debt for that would mean the franchise would have to make profits of around $35m CAD. That seems unlikely in the current environment. I'd bet the Jets are barely breaking even right now, and are relying on revenue sharing to pay their bills.

Yet people keep ignoring the main reason why Quebecor is interested in owning an NHL team. They paid $1,2G for 12 years of French tv rights. Right now, they are most likely losing money on that deal. Nordiques would be the reason that puts them in the black.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Getting close, again...some thread title suggestions:

Phoenix CXXV: Waiting for the COWs to Come
Phoenix CXXV: The Arena Ultimatum
Phoenix CXXV: An Arena to Suck-seed
Phoenix CXXV: Arena Location: Mission Impossible
Phoenix CXXV: Arena Address: 1149 East Anywhere
Phoenix CXXV: The 57% Arena Solution

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Getting close, again...some thread title suggestions:

Phoenix CXXV: Waiting for the COWs to Come
Phoenix CXXV: The Arena Ultimatum
Phoenix CXXV: An Arena to Suck-seed
Phoenix CXXV: Arena Location: Mission Impossible
Phoenix CXXV: Arena Address: 1149 East Anywhere
Phoenix CXXV: The 57% Arena Solution

I'd go with:

Phoenix CXXV: To vote, or not to vote. That is the question

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Do you have a source link for that Bettman quote on the Coyotes while talking about Calgary's situation?

Thank you.

It was not a quote. It was a 'predicted quote." In other words, "I am taking his quote from Calgary, and substituting the needed words for Arizona" and "I bet his words come out substantially the same." Which means, "Bettman only has one song."

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I'd go with:

Phoenix CXXV: To vote, or not to vote. That is the question

I vote for this title... :thumbu:

It was not a quote. It was a 'predicted quote." In other words, "I am taking his quote from Calgary, and substituting the needed words for Arizona" and "I bet his words come out substantially the same." Which means, "Bettman only has one song."

I'll give myself this :)dunce:) for not reading it correctly... :)o)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Phoenix CXXV: Don't You Dare-y Mess with Gary
Phoenix CXXV: The Dirt Is Always Browner
Phoenix CXXV: The East Supports Losers More!
Phoenix CXXV: The Endless Rebuilding
Phoenix CXXV: Public Subsidy Number 1(149)
Phoenix CXXV: No Me Llama, Te Llamo :naughty:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Phoenix CXXV: Commitment to Petulance
Phoenix CXXV: My Gary Just Wrote Me A Letter (Box Tops song "The Letter")
Phoenix CXXV: Where's Gary? (yes a Spongebob reference)
Phoenix CXXV: A Message To You, Gary (The Specials song "A Message To You, Rudy")

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Phoenix CXXV: Commitment to Petulance
Phoenix CXXV: My Gary Just Wrote Me A Letter (Box Tops song "The Letter")
Phoenix CXXV: Where's Gary? (yes a Spongebob reference)
Phoenix CXXV: A Message To You, Gary (The Specials song "A Message To You, Rudy")

Phoenix CXXV: You Better, You Better, You Bettman

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I guess you could say the empty seats at Gila River Arena are finally
381532_1335957017331_240_274.jpg

Getting some coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events