Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Plus $150 million transfer fee to be on par with Vegas expansion cost. At least on paper, in reality Quebecor will not pay the transfer fee immediately. The team play in the central until Seattle can get their act together, and the other dumpster fire is moved West.

This is my theory, and if am right the leaks and innuendo will start very soon to prepare the ground.

no transfer fee. It's just $350 million. League stays at 31 teams and teams do not lose money in national revenues which they will be happy about long-term. Expansion fee is great short-term but lose money long-term based on 32 teams.

350 million would make everyone whole right?

Conduit

Feb 13, 2017
Plus $150 million transfer fee to be on par with Vegas expansion cost. At least on paper, in reality Quebecor will not pay the transfer fee immediately. The team play in the central until Seattle can get their act together, and the other dumpster fire is moved West.

There are two dumpster fires in the East, not just one.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If the arena is in such a lousy location then why did IA buy the team? If, of course, you were to believe that they actually bought it. I don't know about you, but who in their right mind buys a business in a location that according to GB has been a failure for 15 years? No wonder we call them Clowns

This is what has me confused. Why did L'ill Gary and Willy D. get lump sum insurance policies to remain in Glendale if the location was so poor? Why did IA pseudo purchase the franchise to play in Glendale and then trumpet to anyone that would listen that they would have stayed for the full length of the lease had Glendale not kicked them out?

I believe that the NHL and IA strung Glendale along all while looking to move the franchise within the valley. Relocation within the valley dates back to the days of Jamison sniffing around the Coyotes. I would speculate that Glendale not only realized that they were over paying IA all while IA was being non compliant but that IA was likely looking to either relocate within the valley or out of state.

The Pavilions area already includes Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, the spring training home of the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies, along with a new aquarium. The genesis of this arena project can be traced to previous Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison, who attempted to buy the team but was unable to secure the financing before IceArizona purchased the team in 2013. Jamison was exploring a Pavilions site.

http://arizonasports.com/story/8771...ion-multi-purpose-arena-scottsdale-pavilions/

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Bettman getting involved is the equivalent of the fat lady singing. I imagine his convo with the State going like this:

Bettman: Look if you want the Coyotes to stay you need to build them a new arena

State: But this one is only 13 years old and is still state of the art

Bettman: But its in the wrong place

State: Who was commissioner when the location was picked

Bettman: I was. why?

State: When the case was in bankruptcy and the league was fighting to keep them in this arena who was commissioner

Bettman: I was, so that should show how committed I am

State: But how was this location ok then but not now

Bettman: we anticipated the area growing more

State: So why should we build you a new arena

Bettman: Because it will be an economic boom, I've got numbers here

State: But the last area you went into didn't grow did it

Bettman: Whats your point?

State: Well a new arena was built for you and nothing that you expected to happen wound up happening so why should we build you a new one

Bettman: Because THIS time we're going to pick a better area

State: So if the area is already better, why do we need you there?

Bettman: Look if you don't build this, we will move the team north

State: You mean where people already like hockey

Bettman: Yeah!

State: So you're saying if we don't make a bad decision you will make a good decision?

Bettman: No its not a good decision, we're here to grow the game

State: How has that worked out for you?

Bettman: Aren't you worried about angry constituents

State: No one even goes to game

Bettman: thats because you're in the

State: No one watches on TV either

Bettman: We're done here

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The letter came as close to using the word "relocation" as you can, without actually using it. But the cat out of the bag, this really could be it folks!

Next Thread title: Phoenix CXXIV: This is it (no, really)

There've been times in my life,
I've been wonderin' why.
Still, somehow I believed we'd always survive.
Now, I'm not so sure
You're waiting here, one good reason to try
But, what more can I say? What's left to provide?

(You think that maybe it's over,)
(Only if you want it to be.)
Are you gonna wait for a sign, your miracle?
Stand up and fight.

(This is it.)
Make no mistake where you are.
(This is it.)
You back's to the corner.
(This is it.)
Don't be a fool anymore.
(This is it.)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL and Coyotes tell Arizona: Give us a new arena or we will leave

To quote:

"Team owner Andrew Barroway also issued a statement saying Glendale no longer is an option because the team loses tens of millions of dollars playing in Gila River Arena. He added that if the team reaches a point where "there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona," then "we will work with our partners in the league office and across the NHL to determine our next steps."

The team is contractually obligated to play in Glendale for one more season. Glendale officials have said they want to keep the franchise in their city.

[President Steve] Yarbrough told The Arizona Republic that Senate Bill 1149, legislation that would provide arena financing, doesn't have the votes to pass. [House Speaker J.D.] Mesnard, in a statement, agreed."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-to-leave-arizona-without-new-arena/98881006/

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
no transfer fee. It's just $350 million. League stays at 31 teams and teams do not lose money in national revenues which they will be happy about long-term. Expansion fee is great short-term but lose money long-term based on 32 teams.

350 million would make everyone whole right?
After Atlanta I doubt the league will ever not collect a transfer fee. But like I said in this case it could really be just on paper or deferred payment. They have to make it look bigger to protect franchise value. It also help Foley not look like a fool for overpaying on the expansion fee. Note that the NHL cashed in the last payment of the Vegas expansion last week.

To quote:

"Team owner Andrew Barroway also issued a statement saying Glendale no longer is an option because the team loses tens of millions of dollars playing in Gila River Arena. He added that if the team reaches a point where "there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona," then "we will work with our partners in the league office and across the NHL to determine our next steps."

The team is contractually obligated to play in Glendale for one more season. Glendale officials have said they want to keep the franchise in their city.

Yarbrough told The Arizona Republic that Senate Bill 1149, legislation that would provide arena financing, doesn't have the votes to pass. Mesnard, in a statement, agreed."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-to-leave-arizona-without-new-arena/98881006/

"there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona," It escalating quickly.

Last edited:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
[MOD] basically the state of Arizona has told Gary Bettman , The NHL. BOG & the Arizona Coyotes to STICK IT WE ARE NOT FUNDING NEW ARENA FOR A FAILLING HOCKEY TEAM that should of moved to Hamilton 5 years ago & we would not have this problem right now but Gary Bettman & his foolish pride got in the way that cost the team & the league hundreds of millions if not over a billion dollars by keeping the team in Arizona.

While a coyotes team moved to Hamilton at the time would have generated that same amount in profits by now & a possible new arena built in Hamilton but we all know the NHL. favorite hobby is flushing millions of dollars down toilet would have gotten in the way of that hobby so it could not happen .

Last edited by a moderator:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Years of lame duck seasons?

Waiting on the PNW... :shakehead

So if this true then it shows they don't have any real options right now, at least in the west.

A relocation threat where nowhere to go? Yeah that will get the legislature quaking in their boots

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL commissioner to state legislature: Coyotes 'must' have a new arena

To quote:

""While I very much want to see the Coyotes remain in Arizona, what they're asking for is no small thing," [House Speaker J.D.] Mesnard said in a statement. "The NHL first needs to make the case for a state-funded arena to the taxpayers. We're not seeing a lot of enthusiasm that the public wants to foot the bill for a new arena, and until the NHL can win over taxpayers, they're going to have a tough sell at the Legislature.""

Source: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-...ate-legislature-coyotes-must-have-a-new-arena

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... totally irrational. makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. flys in the face of everything theyve written & said today alone. too little too late for Shannon to be piping in with this nonsense to try & soften Bettmans sharp shouldered elbows out posturing.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Wait... so you're issuing a threat.... and then saying you won't actually do the thing you're threatening?

Hum... what? If anything that will convince the Senate of Arizona to vote no. Since apparently they'll stay in Glendale whatever happens!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Meh, GB put a shot across the bow and now they've got to PR it up to make it seem like they're not holding the city/state to the fire.

They're not going scorched earth quite yet.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

Well, we expected 2017-18 anyways. That would be years. If they are stupid enough to stay past this season after this ultimatum then I will be pleased to watch the lame duck carnage...all outta the NHL's pockets...it will be G-R-E-A-T:handclap:

But this is very likely just a way to calm the team's fans for the rest of this season. First in typical NHL style threaten those in charge of the $$ with relocation...then tell the fans that we will be here forever..Don't Worry..Keep Spending your hard earned cash on us:shakehead

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If the Coyotes get moved can we handle the transition on HF a little better than what happened with Atlanta?

The short answer is no. Take Atlanta's situation and multiply it by 1000 and you'll get what we're going to go through in the transition to Quebec City.

[MOD...] that we as Coyotes fans have had to savor since 2009. I used to think that I would never tire of hockey even if the NHL burned all its bridges with me. I was wrong. :dunno:

Meh, GB put a shot across the bow and now they've got to PR it up to make it seem like they're not holding the city/state to the fire.

They're not going scorched earth quite yet.

Barroway's statement is the scorched earth. Just putting his name on a statement is enough to indicate to me that this is the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

To quote:

[President Steve] Yarbrough told The Arizona Republic that Senate Bill 1149, legislation that would provide arena financing, doesn't have the votes to pass. [House Speaker J.D.] Mesnard, in a statement, agreed."

Another good find. You've kept us well-informed with these articles. The legislative leaders would know if it has the votes or not, so like you said once before, "it's dead, Jim."

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
The short answer is no. Take Atlanta's situation and multiply it by 1000 and you'll get what we're going to go through in the transition to Quebec City.

It'll be the anal fissure frosting on top of the explosive diarrhea cake that we as Coyotes fans have had to savor since 2009. I used to think that I would never tire of hockey even if the NHL burned all its bridges with me. I was wrong. :dunno:

Barroway's statement is the scorched earth. Just putting his name on a statement is enough to indicate to me that this is the end.

Come on, there's plenty of twists to go. Altrough the statement does make it look like Barroway isn't messing around and is getting tired of this.

As for any hypothetical transition. Dont worry, if Barry O. and Donny T. were able to have a cordial and efficient transfer of power. I'm pretty sure we'd be fine if it's well planned out and well tought out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Yeah, its a setup, one predicted. They both (Barroway & Bettman) know damn well that that Bill is DOA. Blame Glendale, blame the State & adios.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Come on, there's plenty of twists to go. Altrough the statement does make it look like Barroway isn't messing around and is getting tired of this.

As for any hypothetical transition. Dont worry, if Barry O. and Donny T. were able to have a cordial and efficient transfer of power. I'm pretty sure we'd be fine if it's well planned out and well tought out.

The transition of power will go fine.

The schadenfreude directed at Arizona and Coyotes fans ("ALL TWO OF THEM! HAAAAAARRRRGHGHGHAHAHAHGAHHAHA!!!!!!!" someone will inevitably say) is what will be the final straw that breaks my back.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Good thing all the GMs are meeting in Florida, huh...this all should make for good table talk...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Salvo from the Commissioner...

NHL commissioner: Coyotes 'can't and won't' play in Glendale

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.â€"

Source: http://www.12news.com/sports/nhl/coyotes/nhl-commissioner-coyotes-cant-play-in-glendale/420599553

Link to full letter (PDF): https://assets.documentcloud.org/do...missioner-Gary-Bettman-Letter-on-Glendale.pdf

Interesting for the commish to come out an vehemently state that NHL hockey can not and never was viable in Glendale. All after how back in 2003, he said at the first game in Glendale.."This building is a major step forward for this franchise," Bettman said at a news conference, "and this franchise wouldn't survive without it."

Bettman's job is to get people to only listen to their emotions and buy his *********... His job is to convince every city that they need a new arena every 10-15 years.

If Bettman wants the team to stay in Arizona then the State of Arizona should tell him to pay for the arena and cover all the teams losses. Then they are welcome to stay.

Look, I'm sorry for the fans of this team if the team leaves the state, but the NHL model of doing business is broken and this constant "must have a new building built by the taxpayers or we leave " BS needs to stop. And if Arizona is the first place to say NO and get the puck rolling, then so be it. Someone has to be first...and I feel they won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad