Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Yeah, I think if I was an Arizonian based on todays flurry of activities & whats known in a broader sense, I'd be steeling myself for the worst. The next few days, tomorrow, should Bettman or God Forbid Barroway actually deign to respond to reporters calls, emails.... we should have a clearer picture. See what they have to say in followup.
I figure the next one to publicly push will be Lebluster. After that if the vote does not happen or it's a no, things will go down quickly. I wonder if they try to leak that they been negotiating a relocation sale?

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
So location of the arena has been terrible for the past 15 years but nobody mentioned it during the Moyes bankruptcy hearings? Bettman you are a fool.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If the league were announce a sale or relocation of a team it'll be after stanley cup finals.
I dont think so tommy, thats too late... it can be done but its really REALLY pushing it.
if Quebec's in the ballpark pricewise & no difficulties, announce the sale-relo on like April 5th (prior to the Playoffs, give the fans a chance to say goodbye) and sure, QC could pull it off. Give them nearly 4.5-5mnths to get it together, tweak this n' that thereafter. I dont see the NHL doing anything through the Playoffs and leaving it until the end of June, early July? No, thats really pushing it. It could be done but it could & would cause a lot of logistical problems. So.... if this is going to happen, Im expecting it to happen before the start of the Playoffs, and very soon indeed. Fast. The NHL isnt going to want to be dragging this out.....

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
If Yotes go to QC, who the hell is going to pay $500 million for the 32nd expansion team? The only other market that would pay that much would be Greater Toronto/Hamilton/etc..

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I figure the next one to publicly push will be Lebluster. After that if the vote does not happen or it's a no, things will go down quickly. I wonder if they try to leak that they been negotiating a relocation sale?

I dont know if whomever, and I hope to God they have enough common sense, if even enough to fill a thimble that its QC they plan to sell the club to, that PKP would want it "leaked" while negotiations are ongoing.... to be used like a pawn, like a bullet in the barrels of the Tommy Guns Bettman & Barroway are pointing at the Legislature down in Arizona. Thats not good faith bargaining in my book and I doubt it would be acceptable to Peladeau. Either your in or your out, your selling me the team, were doing a deal, but dont involve me or expect me to go along with role playing, extortion of that kind. Like I'm the Bad Guy? Wanna steal their team? Yeah. Dont think so. Dont even think about it, dont waste my time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Is there a statute of limitation on perjury charge in Arizona? This could be why the NHL was so desperate to kick the can five or six years down the road.

.... you might be on to something there madhi. :laugh:

Vdom999

Dec 23, 2012
Lameduck seasons

If Bill 1149 does not pass, I cannot see how the Coyotes could play in Glendale next year, or even worse, for the next 3 years, taking into account the 2 years minimum that it takes to build a new arena. In the current situation where the Coyotes are one of the worst teams in the NHL, with no hope that it is going to change shortly and the probable departure of Shane Doan during the summer, things will not turn around for the best in Glendale.

If Bill 1149 does not pass, the question will be where are the Coyotes the most likely to relocate. The 3 main options are Las Vegas, Quebec City and Portland. I would not be surprised at all if the Coyotes end up in Las Vegas.

I feel so bad for the City of Glendale, which, whatever happens with the Coyotes, will be left with a debt of 143M$ for their wonderful arena, plus the payment (for nothing) of at least 80M$ (25 + 25 + 15 + 15) on the belief that the Coyotes were in Glendale for the long run.

Last edited:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Yes...now, Bettman is saying we will stay here...but only, only if we get a new arena that is in the right location...so...if you build it...we promise, from all of the studies we have done...we will be successful (but only if we get all the revenue, you give us tax breaks, and some whatever city will partner with us, will give us a new 'arena management' fee...)

Broken model, indeed... :shakehead

I think hockey is a great sport and I love my team but the NHL is absolutely detestable, what the fans have been put through in Arizona is insane and now little tinpot Bettman is standing saying that Glendale who has hemmoraged cash for 13 years isn't worthy... Can't get rid of that guy fast enough.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Bill 1149 does not pass, I cannot see how the Coyotes could play in Glendale next year, or even worse, for the next 3 years, taking into account the 2 years minimum that it takes to build a new arena. In the current situation where the Coyotes are one of the worst teams in the NHL, with no hope that it is going to change shortly and the probable departure of Shane Doan during the summer, things will not turn around for the best in Glendale.

If Bill 1149 does not pass, the question will be where are the Coyotes the most likely to relocate. The 3 main options are Las Vegas, Quebec City and Portland. I would not be surprised at all if the Coyotes end up in Las Vegas.

I feel so bad for the City of Glendale, which, whatever happens with the Coyotes, will be left with a debt of 143M$ for their wonderful arena, plus the payment (for nothing) of at least 80M$ (25 + 25 + 15 + 15) to have had the Coyotes in Glendale for the long run.

How do the Coyotes end us in Vegas? Foley just payed 500 million to have a team there. Foley can't just take over the Yotes organization, they are owned and were purchased by an ownership group. They won't just give up the team.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think hockey is a great sport and I love my team but the NHL is absolutely detestable, what the fans have been put through in Arizona is insane and now little tinpot Bettman is standing saying that Glendale who has hemmoraged cash for 13 years isn't worthy... Can't get rid of that guy fast enough.

If you like hockey and are a Coyotes fan, you should love Bettman. Any other Commish in their right mind would have moved the teams years ago.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yotes coming to Vegas stopped being a possibility a week ago, the league would have to contract the Knights to do it at this point.

Dispersal/Expansion draft could be a possibility, but I don't see it by any stretch.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yotes coming to Vegas stopped being a possibility a week ago, the league would have to contract the Knights to do it at this point.

Dispersal/Expansion draft could be a possibility, but I don't see it by any stretch.

Bettman has a buyer in hand and he's just waiting to cash the check once the AZ legislature does the expected. That's the exact way it played out last time it came down to the wire with Winnipeg, only it was Atlanta that fell on that sword due to a Glendale council vote.

Playing the "we're gonna move" card is a last ditch attempt to use what pull the team has to get an effort going to keep them. But the Coyotes have zero pull, and IA has basically ruined every local partner they've touched. Even the tribes don't want to work with them it seems like.

So place your bets on Portland, Seattle, or QC. They aren't going to do a lame duck season and risk big losses. They haven't even announced season ticket renewals yet. Glendale will get a small payoff to exit the lease and that will be that.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

I feel so bad for the City of Glendale, which, whatever happens with the Coyotes, will be left with a debt of 143M$ for their wonderful arena, plus the payment (for nothing) of at least 80M$ (25 + 25 + 15 + 15) on the belief that the Coyotes were in Glendale for the long run.

It would have been nice if Buttman would have been honest with Glendale,by telling them that ...sure we will take your money BUT to be fair this as a market has never worked and will never work. Honesty has never been an NHL thing , however.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So ehen it comes to season ticket renewals for next year, have most teams started?

I just think theres no way thr NHL can ansorb a lame duck season in Arizona. It would be just too obvious despite what they say.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't know if the lack of season ticket renewal notices has anything to do with the team being there or not, as historically we've seen it's meaningless either way.

My thoughts - If the team is in Glendale next season they need to start the process later in order to figure out how to sell this team. There's likely to be mutiny among the ST base. Their head of client retention will be the busiest person this off season.

Outside of the die hards as most will be back. If you're a casual consumer and see this gong show come up again and again along with other places to spend for sports and entertainment. With this and the on ice product, is there anything attractive to buy Coyotes over anything else?

Last edited:

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range
I don't know if the lack of season ticket renewal notices has anything to do with the team being there or not, as historically we've seen it's meaningless either way.

My thoughts - If the team is in Glendale next season they need to start the process later in order to figure out how to sell this team. There's likely to be mutiny among the ST base. Their head of client retention will be the busiest person this off season.

Outside of the die hards as most will be back. If you're a casual consumer and see this gong show come up again and again along with other places to spend for sports and entertainment. What is there any reason to chose the Coyotes over anything else?

Either way they'll be in tough. Not sure how they expect to sell tickets for the place when they've been so busy telling everyone how the arena location is terrible.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Another loss for the NHL. The business schools will have case studies on this, the papers will say the NHL failed in the south.

You get the feeling the 4th lockout, will be the last one...

They already do. A friend of mine had the Thrashers move to Winnipeg as a case study. When I had to train interns at the Federal Reserve about credits we wouldn't want to see being done within the regulated banking system I used the Coyotes loans with MSD and Fortress as my example because even 19-20 year old interns could get that hockey in Phoenix was a bad idea.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
If Yotes go to QC, who the hell is going to pay $500 million for the 32nd expansion team? The only other market that would pay that much would be Greater Toronto/Hamilton/etc..

Toronto would not pay that much for a team either. It's simple math.

The Leaf, Raptors and the ACC sold for $1.3B. You're talking well over a billion for a new team and arena. A second team in the GTA will be an investment not a hobby team like Vegas.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Either way they'll be in tough. Not sure how they expect to sell tickets for the place when they've been so busy telling everyone how the arena location is terrible.

Yup.

Building is called bad, team is not competitive, cannot or will spend to compete, in a market where the sport is not #1 and a possibility they will give it 'years' before they move?

Sounds like the last years of the Montreal Expos all over again.

Phoenix: CXXIV: The veiled threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad