Phoenix CXVIII: No Promises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I agree as well w/ Mightygoose, that IA and anything involving the Coyotes, whether it be the lease, the Tucson franchise, etc.... shows that the NHL has no issues w/ how IA operates either franchise.

No, thats an honest and astute evaluation, the NHL certainly doesnt appear at least publicly to have any problems or issues with the manner in which IA not only acquired the franchise (for they themselves enabled the purchase, put up huge money themselves) but so too how theyve operated & were managing the facility, how they were dealing with the COG.

In fact quite the opposite, been beyond supportive, Daly shrugging off accusations of Cap Circumvention with the Pronger & Datsyuk contracts (imagine if a Toronto or a Montreal, NY or LA pulled that? Bettman & Daly wouldve come down on them like a tonne of bricks) for example; Bettman going Ballistic on the City of Glendale when they voided the Contract, assigning full blame to the Mayor & Council while seemingly exonerating IceArizona, painting them as the victims rather than the actual perpetrators, authors of their own demise as they truly were & are. ...

So no, no admission, no acceptance of responsibility from the League for what theyve done, for what they themselves are totally & wholly responsible for.... And that for me is not only beyond galling, its maddening. They exist in a vacuum, a culture of entitlement, of criminal imperialism. Corrupted, on many levels destroyed the sport I love. Turned to ashes with their total mishandling since 96 a market that could have & should have succeeded, and now facing an almost insurmountable hill, a seemingly last gasp Hail Mary from behind their own goalposts with Anthony Leblanc taking the kick?... yeah... good luck with that one... seen that movie before... Ray Finkle... Ace Ventura; Pet Detective.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hypothetically, if one was going to seek legislative approval for a new special tax district to help fund arena construction - one would likely want a site selection announcement between now and Thanksgiving. Then one could spend December attempting to build momentum / create pressure to put on the legislature so when AZLeg Session begins in January, there is already a discussion on the table. Helps grease the skid, if you will. Very common pattern in all types of public-private partnerships at all levels of government.

In the tea leaves, if IA goes back to lobbying for a tax district as they did in the 2016 AZLeg session that is a fairly strong indication that they are at zero and trying to create a financing option (ie- they do not have a tribal partner or a framework with ASU)

Right, and heres a decent article from last April outlining said proposal for those who may have missed it... www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/...ate-special-tax-district-news-arena/82952510/

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
No, thats an honest and astute evaluation, the NHL certainly doesnt appear at least publicly to have any problems or issues with the manner in which IA not only acquired the franchise (for they themselves enabled the purchase, put up huge money themselves) but so too how theyve operated & were managing the facility, how they were dealing with the COG. In fact quite the opposite, been beyond supportive, Daly shrugging off accusations of Cap Circumvention with the Pronger & Datsyuk contracts (imagine if a Toronto or a Montreal, NY or LA pulled that? Bettman & Daly wouldve come down on them like a tonne of bricks) for example; Bettman going Ballistic on the City of Glendale when they voided the Contract, assigning full blame to the Mayor & Council while seemingly exonerating IceArizona, painting them as the victims rather than the actual perpetrators, authors of their own demise as they truly were & are. ... So no, no admission, no acceptance of responsibility from the League for what theyve done, for what they themselves are totally & wholly responsible for.... And that for me is not only beyond galling, its maddening. They exist in a vacuum, a culture of entitlement, of criminal imperialism. Corrupted, on many levels destroyed the sport I love. Turned to ashes with their total mishandling since 96 a market that could have & should have succeeded, and now facing an almost insurmountable hill, a seemingly last gasp Hail Mary from behind their own goalposts with Anthony Leblanc taking the kick?... yeah... good luck with that one... seen that movie before... Ray Finkle... Ace Ventura; Pet Detective.

During the negotiation of the Glendale 15 year lease extortion..didn't Daley if not Bettman appear in Glendale to push the process along? or was that technically before IA ownership?
CHRDANHUTCH claims that the league does not get involved in negotiations between city and the team. Maybe I am mistaken in my memory of that negotiation?
As CF mentioned, hypothetically, there is a strong likelihood that there will be an appeal to the state for tax support this January...will be interesting to see if that is a negotiation strictly between IA and the state or if Bettman makes an appearance there as well.
The NHL is still very much involved in this situation, I don't think they view it as a local to Arizona issue at all.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
During the negotiation of the Glendale 15 year lease extortion..didn't Daley if not Bettman appear in Glendale to push the process along? or was that technically before IA ownership?
CHRDANHUTCH claims that the league does not get involved in negotiations between city and the team. Maybe I am mistaken in my memory of that negotiation?
As CF mentioned, hypothetically, there is a strong likelihood that there will be an appeal to the state for tax support this January...will be interesting to see if that is a negotiation strictly between IA and the state or if Bettman makes an appearance there as well.
The NHL is still very much involved in this situation, I don't think they view it as a local to Arizona issue at all.

They do, at times. I believe Bettman looked at several facilities, like the Pens and Coyotes, iirc.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As CF mentioned, hypothetically, there is a strong likelihood that there will be an appeal to the state for tax support this January...will be interesting to see if that is a negotiation strictly between IA and the state or if Bettman makes an appearance there as well.... The NHL is still very much involved in this situation, I don't think they view it as a local to Arizona issue at all.

That would be an incorrect assumption, opinion. Not only in this case but in dozens of others & I mean from going way way back to present day. The NHL does get involved, be it major or minor (like with the Panthers request that Broward County buy them a new score clock for eg, or Bettman meeting with the powers that be in Seattle etc)... In this case as most will recall the COG was "nervous" about then called "Renaissance Sports & Entertainment", requesting financials, the NHL stepping in & reassuring them that they were all good, good to go, that theyd vetted them and that should be good enough for the COG, but to further support that fiction & lay to rest all questions, they announce a "partnership" with NHL insiders Global-Spectrum 72hrs before the Council was set to vote on that totally over-the-top completely insane Lease & Mgmnt Agreement (which Im absolutely certain was almost entirely authored by some very clever legal minds out of NYC, though not quite clever enough obviously - I dont believe for a 2nd LeBlanc or whomever else possessed that kind of sophistication - which goes a long way in explaining how they could have screwed it up so badly). So yes, absolutely, be it for tax breaks (like Montreal) or tax subsidies, for whatever the NHL does get involved. Be it letters of support or face-face lobbying, meeting with officials. They (along with the rest of the leagues & individual owners) donate to both parties nationally, state wide & provincially, to local municipal politicians, gaining access & ears.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I know you called for Killion, but my personal recommendation is that you read about AEG and what their primary business is, which by the way is NOT just owning sports teams.
Now you're on the right track. They own some arenas, they are a promoter, they are global. Anschutz is one of the richest owners in the NHL. I doubt anyone is telling him what to do. :)

... :laugh: ok... here I be.... on the bolded there, I think youve run away, a lot further than I intended with my earlier comment.
No, thats not my assumption nor working hypothesis MNN. Your getting into the realms of relativism and Im not a big fan of relativism. Your asking or suggesting that "AEG doesnt need the NHL" and thats actually correct on one level but incorrect on other levels. Its complicated, a complicated & complex relationship. Massive web of interconnections, of influence. These guys have either directly funded & or developed (in partnership with major real estate developers) and or manage the top 21 grossing facilities World-Wide.

Not to create an argument, here. Yet, there is a discrepancy I think needs to be addressed, because something isn't making sense.

I want to point out that Killion continues to tell us that AEG running GRA for CoG is somehow a case of insider trading, and that, because AEG has a relationship with the NHL, that AEG will find a way to keep the Coyotes at GRA, funneling some funds there - and that CoG will regret choosing them as their arena operator. My impression of K's opinings here are that K things CoG is naive in their approach, and that NHL/AEG will take advantage of them at every step.

I see the possibility of that. However, given the way AEG comes up in every arena story everywhere, seemingly, I am starting to think now that AEG is involved in GRA for one reason: Their own profit. They wanted the out-clause in their contract because, if IA somehow does get another arena built, GRA will not be nearly as lucrative as it is currently. Merely on the surface, it seems that everything they have done there coincides with that idea.

In conjunction with that, I can't see any benefit to AEG to 'cutting a deal' with IA behind the back of CoG. Mostly, I think that because the contract to manage the arena is very straight forward in the way it's written:
1- There is a pool of money available for arena expenses. Use of the pool is strongly audited (and, as an international player, AEG has exactly ZERO incentive to abuse that).
2- Should there be any $$ left in the pool at the end of the fiscal year, the distribution thereof is clearly defined as to what goes first to AEG, then to COG, then split.
3- Because of that, the only way that AEG can cheat COG without also harming their own bottom line is if they book hardly anything in the arena all year. In doing so, they will also indirectly harm their own bottom line.
4- Given that, the only way to cut IA a sweetheart deal is to sign a rental agreement with IA whereby IA is paid to play there. That empties the pool, so CoG gets nothing back. And, then, AEG would need to sign a darkroom agreement with NHL that the League itself would reimburse them under the table, out of sight.
5- That seems too farfetched to me.

So, again, I am sitting here trying to understand what I have missed, and just exactly where and how AEG has room to cheat COG and make room for their so-called partner NHL, along with IA. And, I just can't see it.

And, the presence of AEG in the discussion in Seattle, where they apparently are interested in a remodel of Key, seems to go along with this, in my mind. I haven't seen their plans, and we don't know the RFP is, but, there is this question: Are we guaranteed that the RFP in Seattle requires accommodating both NBA and NHL? I don't think we are. If I am right about that, then AEG in Seattle is working precisely against the NHL's interests, and again, that doesn't fit the cozy narrative.

These are my thoughts.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Hypothetically, if one was going to seek legislative approval for a new special tax district to help fund arena construction - one would likely want a site selection announcement between now and Thanksgiving. Then one could spend December attempting to build momentum / create pressure to put on the legislature so when AZLeg Session begins in January, there is already a discussion on the table. Helps grease the skid, if you will. Very common pattern in all types of public-private partnerships at all levels of government.

In the tea leaves, if IA goes back to lobbying for a tax district as they did in the 2016 AZLeg session that is a fairly strong indication that they are at zero and trying to create a financing option (ie- they do not have a tribal partner or a framework with ASU)

Right, and heres a decent article from last April outlining said proposal for those who may have missed it... www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/...ate-special-tax-district-news-arena/82952510/

I do not think CasualFan's, and Killion's link to the previous 'attempt' at a 'special tax district,' is that far off from being a 'hypothetical'...

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
AEG is also managing the Videotron Centre in Quebec City so their presence in a market doesn't mean anything...

And also the Sprint Center in Kansas City. My understanding, the reason why they don't have a team and haven't been a serious player in a while is because the city doesn't want or feel the need to cut a potential owner a sweet deal.

Nothing to do with AEG.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not to create an argument, here. Yet, there is a discrepancy I think needs to be addressed, because something isn't making sense.

I want to point out that Killion continues to tell us that AEG running GRA for CoG is somehow a case of insider trading, and that, because AEG has a relationship with the NHL, that AEG will find a way to keep the Coyotes at GRA, funneling some funds there - and that CoG will regret choosing them as their arena operator. My impression of K's opinings here are that K things CoG is naive in their approach, and that NHL/AEG will take advantage of them at every step.

I see the possibility of that. However, given the way AEG comes up in every arena story everywhere, seemingly, I am starting to think now that AEG is involved in GRA for one reason: Their own profit. They wanted the out-clause in their contract because, if IA somehow does get another arena built, GRA will not be nearly as lucrative as it is currently. Merely on the surface, it seems that everything they have done there coincides with that idea.

In conjunction with that, I can't see any benefit to AEG to 'cutting a deal' with IA behind the back of CoG. Mostly, I think that because the contract to manage the arena is very straight forward in the way it's written:
1- There is a pool of money available for arena expenses. Use of the pool is strongly audited (and, as an international player, AEG has exactly ZERO incentive to abuse that).
2- Should there be any $$ left in the pool at the end of the fiscal year, the distribution thereof is clearly defined as to what goes first to AEG, then to COG, then split.
3- Because of that, the only way that AEG can cheat COG without also harming their own bottom line is if they book hardly anything in the arena all year. In doing so, they will also indirectly harm their own bottom line.
4- Given that, the only way to cut IA a sweetheart deal is to sign a rental agreement with IA whereby IA is paid to play there. That empties the pool, so CoG gets nothing back. And, then, AEG would need to sign a darkroom agreement with NHL that the League itself would reimburse them under the table, out of sight.
5- That seems too farfetched to me.

So, again, I am sitting here trying to understand what I have missed, and just exactly where and how AEG has room to cheat COG and make room for their so-called partner NHL, along with IA. And, I just can't see it.

And, the presence of AEG in the discussion in Seattle, where they apparently are interested in a remodel of Key, seems to go along with this, in my mind. I haven't seen their plans, and we don't know the RFP is, but, there is this question: Are we guaranteed that the RFP in Seattle requires accommodating both NBA and NHL? I don't think we are. If I am right about that, then AEG in Seattle is working precisely against the NHL's interests, and again, that doesn't fit the cozy narrative.

These are my thoughts.

You wont find me taking exception nor arguing (I'm not here to argue, Im here to converse civilly & respectfully) to your own conclusions & theories as what Ive postulated are precisely the same; hypotheticals & theories. I dont know for certain if their accurate or not and as I'm always careful to state: "speculation", theory here gang. Im not married to any given theory MNN. Totally open-minded. What I put forth one of several possibilities and of course you yourself agree, "I can see that possibility".

What doesnt add-up in then following your train of thought is that throughout the public presentations & statements made by AEG Executives was that they were looking at GRA as a "stand-alone", namely that they promised to "keep the lights on" with concerts & events... while noticeably absent was that 10 tonne Pink Elephant over in the corner in the form of the Arizona Coyotes. Mere platitudes spoken, that "we hope to be able to keep the Coyotes playing out of GRA for years to come" (or words to that affect). Talk of the Coyotes limited to about 50 words out of 5000+ spoken. So it was with considerable shock & dismay that we later learn that they have an "out clause" should the franchise leave be it cross-valley or out of state altogether. That does not jibe with anything they'd said, lead the public to believe. That like a good marriage, this would be forever & ever, in for the long haul Coyotes or no Coyotes. Yet clearly the Mayor & Council members must have been aware of the "out clause" yet nothing was ever said about it? Spidey Senses tingling... why would you go with a Mgr who demands such a thing? Im smelling Beacon Sports, the NHL & AEG duplicity all over this.

As NHL insiders, they would be privy to information that we the public are not with respect to the actual details of the transaction between the NHL & IceArizona along with knowing what plans are in place pursuant to the probabilities of a sale for Relo out of State & to where & to whom; they would be fully aware of IceArizonas' wherewithals & net worth. They would know all of this & more as they have a seat at the table through the Kings, that information shared, disclosed to AEG Mgmnts Executives, updated on the situation since at least the late winter/early spring of 2013. Furthermore, one has to wonder how it was that from the word go with Glendales RFP which was being handled by the ever murky, ever perambulating Something Wicked this Way Comes, in a baby stroller looking all innocent Beacon Sports Capital Mgmnt LLC, it clearly appeared that AEG had the inside track all along despite their abysmal record in managing then called Jobing.com arena under the NHL's ownership. What gives with that? Spidey Senses now on full alert.

Now, as for Seattle, AEG is puffing up their plumage, making noises, insinuating themselves into the process, casting a shadow in providing an option and in doing so gaining leverage, inside track once again in ultimately forcing Hansens & the County/Cities hand. Posturing, setting themselves up pretty whereby should a new arena be approved & built that they themselves will forego the plans for Key or scale them back provided they secure the Mgmnt Contract at the new SODO facility as well. Now, just how the NHL plays into all of this? Use your imagination. Not hard to connect the dots all the way back to Glendale though again, word of caution, its entirely theory, pure speculation. Im not asking you or anyone to believe these "Conspiracy Theories", but there certainly worth considering & analysing. Poking holes in them if you can. Im cool with that....

Finally, you yourself attribute the need for an AEG "out clause" should IA be successful in getting a new building up as they recognize the fact that if successful, the market will be over-inventoried & over-crowded, that absent an anchor tenant doomed to failure. This is only partially true. And remember, AEG totally privy to IA's financials, NHL plans for that franchise. If they leave the State, no new facility, GRA competing only against Talking Stick for concerts & events without an anchor well, weve all seen studies that absolutely refute such a contention that it cant or wont work. Look at AEG's operations at the Sprint Center in KC for eg. It was that model that they pedaled to the COG. That while it would be fabulous if we could keep the Coyotes, never fear, AEG is here.... only it appears... not so much huh? And having watched these guys operate for several decades, dealt with them myself, I can tell you unreservedly & objectively that they owe no loyalties to anything nor to anyone beyond the bottom-line, dont play nice all the time or not at all some of the time in achieving their objectives. Absolutely ruthless. So no, not "far fetched" at all whatsoever that as TL puts it, could well be a "Mole". Major player's in a coup.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not sure if serious, but I actually got to ride the Zamboni a couple of years ago as a STH perk and I asked the guy why the ice was always so bad. His answer was that it was a combination of Arizona having so little humidity and the fact that up until he started working there that the people maintaining the ice were incompetent. He mentioned that they had basically overhauled the staff and that things were improving, but that without a complete rebuild of the GRA facilities it likely wouldn't ever be ideal.

IIRC..... AEG asked Glendale for about $1.9 million this year to make repairs to GRA and that included to the ice making system.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_738fbefa-7f45-11e6-8bb6-17dd8f9c63ba.html

Also had seen somwhere that the current ice master at GRA just came on just this year after being a Zamboni driver there for several years. Have to wonder about his abilities now?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
AEG is also managing the Videotron Centre in Quebec City so their presence in a market doesn't mean anything...

... well, yes & no... lets be honest here they have damn good reason to be planting their flag in QC. ;)

And also the Sprint Center in Kansas City. My understanding, the reason why they don't have a team and haven't been a serious player in a while is because the city doesn't want or feel the need to cut a potential owner a sweet deal.

Nothing to do with AEG.

Right, but it certainly didnt stop then President of AEG & Chairman of the NHL Expansion & Relocation Committee Tim Leiweke from lending William Boots Del Biaggio (along with Craig Leipold then owner in Nashville) tens of millions (without League consent let alone approval) to orchestrate a buyout & move of the Predators to Kansas City. Aint Karma a *****?. Right pair of a-holes... AEG has wined & dined just about every team rumored to move since before that building even opened its doors, and they clearly didnt care how they went about it, by hook or by crook. Thats the way those guys roll. Guy like Balsillie, totally naive' little amateur in comparison. Paragon on virtue.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Nothing to do with AEG.

Kansas City, you have to remember, borders the State line, between Missouri and Kansas, since the city is listed on both states....

it, as you suggested, has a lot to do w/ KC's history, sports-wise, if it's not for Lamar Hunt and successors, and Ewing Kauffman and successors would the Chiefs and Royals have adjoining stadiums....

the other issue is why you're seeing St. Louis not actively seeking a tenant for the EJ Dome after what Kroenke and the Rams decision to land at the former Hollywood Park track in Inglewood.

now, the Kansas side of Kansas City might be different, with the Casino and Kansas Speedway as what you've seen on the Missouri side.

Sprint Center and its predecessor, Kemper Arena were likely burned by the NBA Kings, that it just isn't worth the fight to locate a team there, despite AEG management (and likely bars any AEG ownership when you manage an arena without a tenant) .

after Pittsburgh's flirtation and the subsequent building of Consol Energy Center, even pro hockey has stayed to the suburbs as the ECHL Mavericks showed in Independence, it may just not be economical to be in a market that isn't open or business-friendly to any franchise.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah. Job #1 huh? Just a tad behind the 8Ball arent we? Unbelievable.

Did not LeBlanc say way back in June that they had preliminary talks with AEG at the NHL Awards Show??

I said a while back that for all anyone knows they could already have a tentative agreement with AEG but just haven't set a length on it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yep.... Bettman made a trip out here this year to tour the sites IA was reportedly looking at..

Oh yeah, quite common for the Commissioner to get involved... Calgary as well and he took heat for it. The citizenry & media pretty disturbed
about it, that he'd be telling the City they need a new building (like, duh)... . Didnt say "or else". Didnt have to. Just "assumed" with that one.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
... possibly deliberate? slow things down. particularly if your playing a total team system defence. you dont want fast ice Whileee. old trick.... lots of em... mebbe add a couple inches to the height of the nets down at the Visitors end so your cement hand forwards have more to shoot at for 2 periods.... crank the heat up in their dressing room... turn off the cold water.... all kinds of things you can do to gain an advantage. :naughty:

Yeah but we're not talking about Boston here ;) Boston actually had a smaller net on the home side of the ice for years.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Did not LeBlanc say way back in June that they had preliminary talks with AEG at the NHL Awards Show??

I said a while back that for all anyone knows they could already have a tentative agreement with AEG but just haven't set a length on it.

Yes, I do recall that, had a "chat" at the NHL Awards Show.... though its my understanding the conversation was about Patrick Kane, LeBlanc absolutely shocked that he didnt win the Lady Byng after voting for him.... It wouldve' gone a long long way had they gotten that done last spring, reassuring the fans, media & sponsors that yes, signed a 3yr Extension... were for real, here for the long-haul, new arena work in progress. There wouldnt have been any need for these ever moving self imposed deadlines, bought themselves a lot of good will & time.

Yeah but we're not talking about Boston here ;) Boston actually had a smaller net on the home side of the ice for years.

Purely for aesthetic reasons Im sure. Old Boston Garden was only 191' X 83', 9' shorter in length & 2' narrower in width than the standard 200' X 85' hence a smaller net home-side....
Sure didnt help Gilles Gilbert in 79 though... Cheaters never prosper.... Of course, if you commit a crime and no one see's you committing a crime... did you commit a crime? :naughty:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

LeBlank has said alot of things in the past 18 months. Most of what he has said never came true. You can believe that what he said back then was true about meeting with AEG re-extension, But based on his past exaggerations, I am going to say that it was just more hot air..

What would be the advantage of having a lease extension agreed upon with AEG, yet keeping it a secret from your fans and sponsors?

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
LeBlank has said alot of things in the past 18 months. Most of what he has said never came true. You can believe that what he said back then was true about meeting with AEG re-extension, But based on his past exaggerations, I am going to say that it was just more hot air..

Fair enough. I'm not presuming that anything has transpired either. I'm just pointing out that LeBlanc and AEG had briefly talked about an extension at the NHL Awards. Could be nothing has come about it since.... or maybe something has and we don't know. Because from a logical POV, why declare something like a two year extension when you might end up needing three?

As MNN pointed out.... this is a very complicated situation. So unless you are absolutely sure you can meet a certain goal you aren't about to go out and announce it. Especially with all the optics involved.

What would be the advantage of having a lease extension agreed upon with AEG, yet keeping it a secret from your fans and sponsors?

What would the optics look like if they agree to an extension for two years, and then it comes out they really need 3 or even 4 years???

Even you have to agree they've taken a huge PR beating over making statements that they could not meet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Theres is no good reason for it, no upside at all, none whatsoever. Quite the opposite in fact. Prolonging it only making a really bad situation worse. For the life of me I cant understand why they wouldnt have entered into an Extension if he's telling the truth about the whole arena situation, simply doesnt add up. He gains no leverage anywhere, from anyone nor from entity in playing coy on that critical issue. Just leaves one assuming the absolute worst, that he hasnt got a clue what he's doing nor the money to buy one and that that teams a goner after this season. He responds to questions about it in the most cavalier of fashions, like its somehow irrelevant & unimportant, trivial. Thats just not real, doesnt cut it, non-answer. Smacks of a hidden agenda.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Fair enough. I'm not presuming that anything has transpired either. I'm just pointing out that LeBlanc and AEG had briefly talked about an extension at the NHL Awards. Could be nothing has come about it since.... or maybe something has and we don't know. Because from a logical POV, why declare something like a two year extension when you might end up needing three?

As MNN pointed out.... this is a very complicated situation. So unless you are absolutely sure you can meet a certain goal you aren't about to go out and announce it. Especially with all the optics involved.

How do we know they talked? Did AEG confirm that? or are we to just take Tony's word?
What would be damaging to say that we have signed a lease extension with AEG for...let's say 2 years and that it includes an option to extend for longer..as needed?
If I was a fan then I would be glad to know that...as it stands right now, there is nothing past June 30/17.
Why would AEG refuse to give them that extension and option?

What would the optics look like if they agree to an extension for two years, and then it comes out they really need 3 or even 4 years???

Even you have to agree they've taken a huge PR beating over making statements that they could not meet.

Are you serious??? If they were worried about bad PR they would have shut Tony up months ago (2 weeks, super progressed etc) He has done more damage to the optics of the situation than a lease extension would ever do. You think people are going to be up in arms if he said "well ..we have a 2 year agreement but after actually starting construction we realized that it will take an additional year" . Are you saying that people would be upset by that??
I think everyone here is familiar with construction delays and missed deadlines. I would not blame IA for that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

No no no no no... this is totally different from "have an announcement in 2 weeks" or whatever about a new arena mega project. Crapioca about being "super-progressed" etc. Like some kid playing with Lego & Hot Wheels. Yeah, thats nice Son. Won the Indy did ya?... Anyone with half a brain knows those kinds of projects can take months, years. However if your hearing such from your hometown teams ownership, planning to move within the market, looking for a suitable site & partners, shoring up the financing youd also expect to hear "were very excited about this but meanwhile, signed an extension for another 3-4 seasons with AEG to play out of GRA while we finalize the details & get shovels in the ground".... These things dont get built overnight. All kinds of things to work through & people know that. Absolutely preposterous to assume that AEG would construct a punitive & onerous Temporary Lease Agreement featuring massive early exit penalties or whatever and in fact quite the opposite. Work with them in the most favorable & flexible of fashions possible. Theres just no damn good reason for the Extension to not have been delivered up last spring, over this past summer at the latest. None. The only excuse for it is that these guys simply cant come up with the coin to make anything happen & that perhaps (and understandably) they are having a lot pf problems in attracting investors based on their own lack of capital & checkered past in Glendale. Maybe the NHL's given them a Hard Deadline, end of season, any appetite at State Level? How are you doing with investors, partners? Site sewn up? No idea. But if their truly honestly committed to the market there is absolutely no excuse for not having signed an Extension. As I said, sign an Extension you stem the losses, everything to gain in doing so. Clearly something else going on, problem, hidden agenda. Though just what exactly? :dunno:

Last edited:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
^^

Yes I agree with the above. Furthermore if you are so committed to the market, signing the extension just demonstrates that. Builds confidence in the market. The one thing is...as I mentioned earlier, Tony says lots of things and MOSTof what he says has turned out to be nothing more than blustering. He says what he thinks the market wants to hear..whether it is true or not he just doesn't consider.IMO

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are you serious??? If they were worried about bad PR they would have shut Tony up months ago (2 weeks, super progressed etc) He has done more damage to the optics of the situation than a lease extension would ever do. You think people are going to be up in arms if he said "well ..we have a 2 year agreement but after actually starting construction we realized that it will take an additional year" . Are you saying that people would be upset by that??
I think everyone here is familiar with construction delays and missed deadlines. I would not blame IA for that.

Has not LeBlanc been quiet since June? Outside of the interview with the local ABC station and preseason event with STHs he's been a proverbial monk.

The only place you would think otherwise is this board because some posters want to perpetuate the "LeBluster" narrative. :)

This fan base has been on a roller coaster ride for seven years now with talks of the team leaving every year it seems. So why continue putting them through that and just have one last deal in place that's set in stone?

I get where you're coming from.... and an announcement now with a possible blip in the timeline down the road wouldn't bother me either. But we can't speak for those who don't visit fan boards on a near daily basis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad