Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The letter that inspired the title

Il0r0wo.jpg

Of all the marketing that the coyotes have done over the years, this might be my favorite, but maybe that's because I hate a lot of the old catchphrases as much as they do.

I appreciate the honesty with the fans as well. That should be commended from the ownership/pr group.

Also my first ever thread title I believe. I'd like to thank the academy...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes' new ad campaign — no ad campaign (just hockey)

To quote:

"“Some of it’s been cheesy,†said Coyotes Vice President for Marketing Josh Margulies of past efforts.

Margulies joined the Coyotes front office in July moving to the NHL team after working for a health care technology marketing firm in Silicon Valley.

Margulies even compared the new advertising campaign to the old Seinfeld joke.

“It’s how Seinfeld was a TV show about nothing,†Margulies said."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...a-coyotes-new-ad-campaign-no-just-hockey.html

NALA +13

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Probably best bang for their buck they could have gotten as well. This should get a lot of play.

EDIT: How could I miss the great meme potential this letter has!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Creative spin but make no mistake, its spin. Oxymoronic verbiage. No real acceptance in owning it. All deflected through inference that its everyone else fault but their own. Cognitive dissonance.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah this campaign seems like they’re at the end of their rope here.

With LeBlanc’s latest comment on the arena, why does he just simply not say that they don’t have any realistic plans beyond this season and they never had one to begin with?

The part that stands out to me is ‘we need YOU to buy in’. If they’re talking about selling season tickets, isn’t this late for that approach? More likely about single ticket sales.

If this buying in is talking about the fans buying in about the future re: new local home, I’d say many have already have done that. This ownership as simply under delivered again and again.

Maybe it’s no coincidence that the letter is a on a pure white background and they’re starting to fly it high.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The part that stands out to me is ‘we need YOU to buy in’. If they’re talking about selling season tickets, isn’t this late for that approach? More likely about single ticket sales.

If this buying in is talking about the fans buying in about the future re: new local home, I’d say many have already have done that. This ownership as simply under delivered again and again.

To me the whole idea is understandable, but by nature counterintuitive. "We're sorry for our terrible marketing and promising what we couldn't deliver. No more promises; we'll show you we mean business. But you have to buy in before we show you anything."

That's a deeper reading than a marketing plan usually deserves, to be fair. This is just another persona they're adopting - if the team does well on the ice, then they can retroactively point to this and say, "Our reinvention succeeded!" If not, then they go to COYOTES 2.1 or "COYOTES 17-18: THE NEXT STEP" or whatever. Not a whole lot here to get lathered about.

Maybe it’s no coincidence that the letter is a on a pure white background and they’re starting to fly it high.

Full disclosure: the original letter had a Sedona red left margin; the all-white version was for web consumption only.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
HfBoards designs a coyotes marketing program:

6LoHB7g.png

:sarcasm:

What do you expect them to say? "Our team sucks, and we might not be playing in Arizona next year because we don't have a place to play yet."

To quote an infamous wrestling line: That'll put butts in the seats.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Fair enough on the colour margin.

Still, it's a very weak campaign though the 'we're Sorry' sounds like they're taking a Canadian angle :D

I guess lowering expectations is the next logical step after coming short year in and year out both on and off the ice. Raising them didn't seem to effective. :laugh:

But yes, if they preform well and get what needs to get done, then it's effective in hindsight. But if the clock strikes midnight and next year and they take the next train out of town...they made no promises!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
spinning the fans directly. classy.

They have spun the City of Glendale, and their taxpayers...

Then, they tried to spin the City of Phoenix in getting their 'special tax district' legislation...

Then, they tried to spin in the media about 'multiple' locations of dirt to build their new arena...

So, I guess you are correct, they are now spinning the fans directly, as it appears that that is all that is left...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Still, it's a very weak campaign though the 'we're Sorry' sounds like they're taking a Canadian angle :D

About time they went the Canadian route, given the nationality of most of the group... :D

So, I guess you are correct, they are now spinning the fans directly, as it appears that that is all that is left...

You say this like it's some desperate last-minute gamble. As if they haven't been spinning the fans directly in town halls and meet and greets and so forth since the first day they bought the franchise.

This is just another marketing angle. No more, and no less. I knew that it was going to be turned into another rehash of the old "DESPERATE! FINAL YEAR! RELOCATION! LIES!" refrain, but there really isn't a hidden meaning there that requires tinfoil and X-ray specs to suss out.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I like it.....and I have had my reservations but to me this is direct and to the point. They are saying we need you the fans to be there to make this work. There is a lot of uncertainty now....and they are laying it on the table. We will see how public responds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You say this like it's some desperate last-minute gamble. As if they haven't been spinning the fans directly in town halls and meet and greets and so forth since the first day they bought the franchise.

Indeed. Rudimentary Potemkin Village Marketing 101. Pretty street scenes nothing but gerrymandered particleboard facades.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I like it.....and I have had my reservations but to me this is direct and to the point. They are saying we need to to be there to make this work. There is a lot of uncertainty now....and they are laying it on the table. We will see how public responds.
are they? would that not presuppose it actually could work and that IA (ie., the NHL) actually want it to work? i'd cynically suggest it's little more than begging fans to help mitigate a catastropic lame duck season.

the most troubling optic here is that IA seems to take no responsibility in all of this. that's laughable. and that it comes out now, the day pre-season games begin, is so very very late that it can only be seen as a hail mary. and such a strangely worded one at that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Speaking of spinning..........

They have spun the City of Glendale, and their taxpayers...

Glendale was a willing partner. The ony spin was the NHL telling them the $25 million payments were an "insurance policy"

Then, they tried to spin the City of Phoenix in getting their 'special tax district' legislation...

It was Mayor Stanton who reached out to them. And the tax district was their own doing.

Then, they tried to spin in the media about 'multiple' locations of dirt to build their new arena...

I presume you can provide the proof that shows otherwise???????

The letter was pretty straight up, and included an admission of past mistakes. I'm afraid the most spin being generated at the moment is eminating from BoH..... :sarcasm:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
are they? would that not presuppose it actually could work and that IA (ie., the NHL) actually want it to work? i'd cynically suggest it's little more than begging fans to help mitigate a catastropic lame duck season.

the most troubling optic here is that IA seems to take no responsibility in all of this. that's laughable. and that it comes out now, the day pre-season games begin, is so very very late that it can only be seen as a hail mary. and such a strangely worded one at that.

I'll correct it......I meant to say we the coyotes need YOU the fans there to make this work......sorry for the weird wording lol

I agree a lot has happened and I just see this as an olive branch of sorts......what happened happened and we can and have debated till the cows come home. Right now this is a way of saying sorry about past we just want to make this work.....and this season we see an either yay or nay.....and let the path go where it does from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad