Phoenix CXVI: Soft Deadlines (or ~ As Soon As Practicable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
This is interesting...

Rattlers will play in Glendale if they host ArenaBowl

To quote:

"The Rattlers still have a lot of work in front of them, and they'll need help from a team in Philadelphia.

But they've made arrangements with Glendale's Gila River Arena to play the ArenaBowl there if the Rattlers wind up in position to play host on Aug. 26.

It would be the first time since the franchise began playing in the Arena Football League in 1992 that a home game would be played somewhere other than their downtown Phoenix home, now called Talking Stick Resort Arena."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...lay-glendale-if-they-host-arenabowl/87458046/

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is interesting...

Rattlers will play in Glendale if they host ArenaBowl

To quote:

"The Rattlers still have a lot of work in front of them, and they'll need help from a team in Philadelphia.

But they've made arrangements with Glendale's Gila River Arena to play the ArenaBowl there if the Rattlers wind up in position to play host on Aug. 26.

It would be the first time since the franchise began playing in the Arena Football League in 1992 that a home game would be played somewhere other than their downtown Phoenix home, now called Talking Stick Resort Arena."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...lay-glendale-if-they-host-arenabowl/87458046/

Because the WNBA Mercury have a home game at TSRA on Aug 26. :laugh:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I think you've misinterpreted things. Bettman stated MLSE had no veto power over a Toronto 2 team.

So in other words MLSE could not stop a Toronto 2 team from coming in, but they would be within their rights to demand a fee if the new team was within their 50 mi radius.

Who exactly demands that fee? And who determines what the fee is?

If MLSE can't veto a Toronto 2 team....but can demand a fee.....couldn't they simply demand a 3 trillion dollar fee and effectively veto ANYONE from entering their region?

Ahh....the memories of 1990 when Hamilton was not selected for some unknown reason.....oh wait.....the league wanted all money up front and commitment to pay a territorial fee they wouldn't elaborate on. "Pay the expansion fee now....and we'll tell you what you owe us later." type deal.

The NHL....as big as it has become.....as professional as it has become, both on and off the ice, is still pretty bush league when determining factors like this. On purpose I'm sure......they don't want any part of this issue (Phoenix included) to be public knowledge.

Run it like a damn business or run it like a damn sports league. One or the other. Just do it. Not a bit of this and a bit of that. Put teams in markets that will make oodles of money.....or ignore revenue and run your sports league by putting teams in Alaska and Mexico.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Take a look back at when the Ducks entered the league.

... um... not sure if thats a real good precedent & standard to be following TL... McNall. Chairman of the Expansion & Relo Committee... drowning in debt.... Disney & Eisner... whole dealeo went totally sideways on the guy.... I mean, talk about duplicitous self dealing... got shortchanged $25M on the $50M he was hoping to receive in indemnification payments & the $25M he did receive was grabbed by his creditors... eventually winds up in the slammer.... but sure, g'head, lets follow McNalls business model & lead. :laugh:

The only thing that comes close and its hardly even relevant anymore as when it went down over 30yrs ago the NHL an entirely different animal... and that would be the Colorado Rockies moving to New Jersey.... paying the Rangers, Islanders & Flyers indemnification for intruding on their broadcast territories.... I cant remember what the details were with Hartford when they were absorbed & Boston... perhaps Fenway can recall but really, old history. Since Bettmans ascension, whole new paradigm.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
... um... not sure if thats a real good precedent & standard to be following TL... McNall. Chairman of the Expansion & Relo Committee... drowning in debt.... Disney & Eisner... whole dealeo went totally sideways on the guy.... I mean, talk about duplicitous self dealing... got shortchanged $25M on the $50M he was hoping to receive in indemnification payments & the $25M he did receive was grabbed by his creditors... eventually winds up in the slammer.... but sure, g'head, lets follow McNalls business model & lead. :laugh:

The only thing that comes close and its hardly even relevant anymore as when it went down over 30yrs ago the NHL an entirely different animal... and that would be the Colorado Rockies moving to New Jersey.... paying the Rangers, Islanders & Flyers indemnification for intruding on their broadcast territories.... I cant remember what the details were with Hartford when they were absorbed & Boston... perhaps Fenway can recall but really, old history. Since Bettmans ascension, whole new paradigm.

I know, K. Disney got off cheap, IMO. But weren't the Ducks the last expansion team to land inside another team's 50 mile zone?? If so, it's what you have to work with.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I know, K. Disney got off cheap, IMO. But weren't the Ducks the last expansion team to land inside another team's 50 mile zone?? If so, it's what you have to work with.

Welp... :popcorn: ... reckon were dealing with a whole new Paradigm here TL... :popcorn: ... see.... :popcorn: ... Gary Bettman. Whole lot more sophisticated. Cant be pullin what McNall pulled anymore. :popcorn:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Welp... :popcorn: ... reckon were dealing with a whole new Paradigm here TL... :popcorn: ... see.... :popcorn: ... Gary Bettman. Whole lot more sophisticated. Cant be pullin what McNall pulled anymore. :popcorn:

Are you telling me that The Bandit just asked Frog why a Texas County Mountie was following them in Arkansas???

:popcorn:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I could apply this post to probably 6-8 other cities off the top of my head.. :help:

Its the biggest ongoing thread about this topic of municipalities/politicians/arena financing, but Im not going to bother starting a thread for this single topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, I went out of town for a vacation and it looks like nothing substantive has been posted... :sarcasm:

My flight back home took me over all three of the rumored sites - Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, the Karsten area, and the Scottsdale Six location. We banked right over Talking Stick and from the air it is so obvious that that would be the ideal location in terms of infrastructure and development. The other two sites look claustrophobic by comparison.

The interesting thing is that I've heard through the grapevine that there is some intra-tribal intrigue going on with regards to the Coyotes. I guess that there may be some blood in the water and some sharks are getting a sniff. I'm hoping to find out more if I can now that I'm back.

I'm off to eat my box of Smarties I picked up in Victoria, BC, so I'll check in later. :D

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Kinda figured there was some "intra-Tibe-intrigue" going on and that would just be for starters TFP.... Your State, Arizona... its just so unlike anywhere else to "assume" anything... huge mistake.... Az was like a 19th
Century Dumping Ground for various (and now wealthy) Native North American Bands... Legendary Bands... Apache included... and no, I do not under-estimate their stupidity just as I never over-estimated Glendales. :)

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Well, I went out of town for a vacation and it looks like nothing substantive has been posted... :sarcasm:

My flight back home took me over all three of the rumored sites - Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, the Karsten area, and the Scottsdale Six location. We banked right over Talking Stick and from the air it is so obvious that that would be the ideal location in terms of infrastructure and development. The other two sites look claustrophobic by comparison.

The interesting thing is that I've heard through the grapevine that there is some intra-tribal intrigue going on with regards to the Coyotes. I guess that there may be some blood in the water and some sharks are getting a sniff. I'm hoping to find out more if I can now that I'm back.

I'm off to eat my box of Smarties I picked up in Victoria, BC, so I'll check in later. :D

I thought that Tony said that he was already working with a partner and they were working with the real estate developer? I was expecting a final announcement by Sept. 22.:sarcasm: Now the tribes are fighting over who gets the last seat on the Titanic?:laugh:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Official Team Announcement:

LeBlanc on New Arena: ‘We Have Selected a Site’

To quote:

"“We have made some significant progress in the last several weeks and we are down to the point where we have selected a site,†LeBlanc told reporters at the team’s NHL Draft headquarters. “We’re not at liberty to disclose the site at this point, but we are moving forward and are actually in the process of trading legal documentation between us and the organizations that we’re working with. We anticipate getting that done over the next several weeks.â€

“We’re very, very happy with where we’re moving forward at this point,†LeBlanc said. “We’re now focused on where we envision our long-term future to be in the Valley and that’s a good thing.â€"

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887111

Sarah McLellan article, Arizona Coyotes have identified site for new arena in the Phoenix area...

Source (with LeBlanc video): http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ntified-new-arena-site-phoenix-area/86337234/

The link provided by Llama nails it. After saying that he would not set a deadline, Tony went on to say that there would be an announcement this summer. So I gave him until Sept 22. His new deadline:laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
In around page 13 of this thread

We shall see Fairview... My 1st instinct is that he's a total fraud however I would not doubt that its entirely possible he's roped in some Rounders on false promises. Way these guys ride.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
We shall see Fairview... My 1st instinct is that he's a total fraud however I would not doubt that its entirely possible he's roped in some Rounders on false promises. Way these guys ride.

Oh ya, I agree with you 100% on that. I am thinking, that this bickering tribe rumor, has come from Tony and his cronies. At this point, no one will even admit publicly that they are involved with IA. No leaks, nothing. Yet, we are to believe that they are just weeks away from a final announcement:amazed:

I am still waiting for a lease extension, as well. Show some confidence in the market.
Show your fans that,no matter what, you are committed to the market.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The link provided by Llama nails it. After saying that he would not set a deadline, Tony went on to say that there would be an announcement this summer. So I gave him until Sept 22. His new deadline:laugh:

LeBlanc said it himself, from the press conference video, in this post (by the end of summer, September 20th, starting at the 6:10 time mark)...

From my sources in searching and requests for government public records, there is still no independent verification that any discussions are going on...

It could quite possible be with the tribe, as they do not need to disclose anything publicly from such requests...

Oh ya, I agree with you 100% on that. I am thinking, that this bickering tribe rumor, has come from Tony and his cronies. At this point, no one will even admit publicly that they are involved with IA. No leaks, nothing. Yet, we are to believe that they are just weeks away from a final announcement:amazed:

I am still waiting for a lease extension, as well. Show some confidence in the market.
Show your fans that,no matter what, you are committed to the market.

From my understanding, that is also going nowhere, too...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
At this point, no one will even admit publicly that they are involved with IA.

Old model, plausible deniability.... Rather like UFO's are not a security threat.... never mind that they shutdown 12 flights at Malmstrom or re-programmed another dozen to Strike the USA in the Soviet Union circa 1983.. never mind that over Tehran in 79 they destroyed (including loss of life) one & then disabled another F17... Whats going on in Phoenix, Glendale... the NHL... this is Crazy Carazzy ####... make no mistake.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
LeBlanc said it himself, from the press conference video, in this post (by the end of summer, September 20th, starting at the 6:10 time mark)...

From my sources in searching and requests for government public records, there is still no independent verification that any discussions are going on...

It could quite possible be with the tribe, as they do not need to disclose anything publicly from such requests...

From my understanding, that is also going nowhere, too...

In my mind, the lease extension would be relatively simple. There is a template for an extension using their current lease. Leading up to the infamous draft day announcement about nothing, Tony and his cronies had said that it was important to have something concrete in place by July 1. This was to assure their potential business partners( advertisers ) and potential as well as current STH. Well, that day is long past and still nothing to prove that they will be there a year from now. So much for showing how committed you are to this market.

IMO, nothing will be done on the lease until the agreement for the new building is signed and sealed. No building..No lease

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
IMO, nothing will be done on the lease until the agreement for the new building is signed and sealed. No building..No lease

What if I told you the $6M AEG is being paid by the COG was being funneled directly to IceArizona?... That they lied about the "saddest thing in the world is an arena with its lights out"?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad