Phoenix CXV: NHL Fantasy Ownership & GM Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Some of us have been here for more than four years though, they are beyond senioritis with the Coyotes. This is like grad school levels of apathy.

*looks at join date*

Why, yes indeed! Some of us have been here for more than four years. :laugh:

I wish I found this place in 2011 when things were REALLY heating up. My first google search of the day was invariably, Coyotes Glendale. Followed by Coyotes Goldwater. I was starved for information on this subject & found it incomprehensible how little media attention it garnered. I still can't believe how under the radar this story flies. :shakehead

Thankfully when it all came to a head last year, somehow I was directed to this mega-thread. I've been lurking ever since! :popcorn:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ya, some interesting promotions from the Wranglers, highly creative, amusing.... giving away free orange safety vests to fans that said "Dont Shoot, Im Human" following Dick Cheneys' hunting accident; Rod Blagojevich Prison Uniform Night, the Wranglers in orange one piece jumpsuits, their opponents (Bakersfield?) in black & white stripes.... then there was the Girl Scout Uniform. :laugh:

The Indoor Winter Classic was my favorite. They just propped open all the entry doors and opened the big freight doors and let the outside in.

They were gimmicky, but funny.

My favorite has to be the Wranglers "Regrettable Tattoo Night"; with the grand prize winner given the choice of having the offending ink either surgically removed, or covered up in grand fashion with an even larger tat. :laugh:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well there you go.... the Coyotes aren't moving anywhere......:nod: And you can take that to the bank!:naughty:

TBH, I am surprised and impressed with the Coyotes handling of the Tucson franchise and the hiring of a COO. I keep thinking it's less and less likely they are going anywhere soon with each passing day.

I do wish the Coyotes eventual success in Glendale; or if not then elsewhere in the phoenix area (as unlikely as a new arena seems). However, so many of their decisions are so utterly stupid that I almost want to cover my eyes and I often can't imagine how they could ever succeed. In that way, it's a little like watching your kids grow up.

It may be too little, too late, but I do find what they've done the past few weeks is encouraging.

I am NOT expecting anything substantive by June 24, though. Perhaps if the Coyotes are now benefiting from adult supervision, someone will find a way to connect their brains with their mouths.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
TBH, I am surprised and impressed with the Coyotes handling of the Tucson franchise and the hiring of a COO. I keep thinking it's less and less likely they are going anywhere soon with each passing day.

I do wish the Coyotes eventual success in Glendale; or if not then elsewhere in the phoenix area (as unlikely as a new arena seems). However, so many of their decisions are so utterly stupid that I almost want to cover my eyes and I often can't imagine how they could ever succeed. In that way, it's a little like watching your kids grow up.

It may be too little, too late, but I do find what they've done the past few weeks is encouraging.

I am NOT expecting anything substantive by June 24, though. Perhaps if the Coyotes are now benefiting from adult supervision, someone will find a way to connect their brains with their mouths.

I kind if find what they did with Tucson to be a group finding their level of competency. Given the amount of money most of IA has and the shenanigans they've had at the NHL level, it seems they really are just an AHL ownership group. And that is perfectly fine.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I wish I found this place in 2011 when things were REALLY heating up. My first google search of the day was invariably, Coyotes Glendale. Followed by Coyotes Goldwater. I was starved for information on this subject & found it incomprehensible how little media attention it garnered. I still can't believe how under the radar this story flies. :shakehead

Thankfully when it all came to a head last year, somehow I was directed to this mega-thread. I've been lurking ever since! :popcorn:

Welcome. I lurked here for something like 1 1/2- 2 years before I decided to join. Around 2011 I caught wind of the Coyotes saga and felt like more was going on than was being reported or some things that were mentioned really needed followup that the articles weren't giving and lo and behold, I found this place and the megathread. I came for the Coyotes saga, I stayed for the excellent insight & analysis this forum in particular brings. This is the best collection of information and commentary on the Coyotes saga. After finding the megathreads and learning the many facets that comprise the Coyotes' situation, I noticed the national media basically does drive-by articles where they check off a box that says they covered it, but they don't realize there's more depth to it. From a distance they just presume it's a 2-D potemkin village (what is visible on the surface from a distance is all there is) and not a story with sub-basements and secret tunnels. As such, I've seen many national articles that outright get facts wrong. Then the local sports media? Where to start? Reporters in other cities would be licking their chops if this happened in their city. Phoenix media at times comes off as the local mouthpiece for ownership, other times like college newspaper-level reporting only with better access to people to get quotes.

Just beware. Coyotes megathreads are like Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave. :help:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Welcome to HFBoards. I'm glad you found us.

Don't be afraid to speak, because these other posters certainly aren't!

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Welcome to HFBoards. I'm glad you found us.

Don't be afraid to speak, because these other posters certainly aren't!

Welcome. I lurked here for something like 1 1/2- 2 years before I decided to join. Around 2011 I caught wind of the Coyotes saga and felt like more was going on than was being reported or some things that were mentioned really needed followup that the articles weren't giving and lo and behold, I found this place and the megathread. I came for the Coyotes saga, I stayed for the excellent insight & analysis this forum in particular brings. This is the best collection of information and commentary on the Coyotes saga. After finding the megathreads and learning the many facets that comprise the Coyotes' situation, I noticed the national media basically does drive-by articles where they check off a box that says they covered it, but they don't realize there's more depth to it. From a distance they just presume it's a 2-D potemkin village (what is visible on the surface from a distance is all there is) and not a story with sub-basements and secret tunnels. As such, I've seen many national articles that outright get facts wrong. Then the local sports media? Where to start? Reporters in other cities would be licking their chops if this happened in their city. Phoenix media at times comes off as the local mouthpiece for ownership, other times like college newspaper-level reporting only with better access to people to get quotes.

Just beware. Coyotes megathreads are like Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave. :help:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm never one who is afraid to speak my mind, but only when I feel like I have something to add. You guys (& ladies) have this well covered. The information in this thread is truly fantastic. I always come here first instead of searching the web for any news on this story. Someone always posts a link to whatever is going on.

I have no dog in this hunt, other than I'm against any public money for pro sports teams in general. I still find it hard to believe that Glendale got bent over back to back years for $25M a clip to keep this team. That's what drew me to this mess. Had I been a Glendale taxpayer, I would've been livid.

With that said, it doesn't mean I feel the area should lose its team, but I just don't see how they are financially viable in AZ when they are still waiting to turn their first dollar in profit since leaving Winnipeg. I digress...

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm never one who is afraid to speak my mind, but only when I feel like I have something to add. You guys (& ladies) have this well covered. The information in this thread is truly fantastic. I always come here first instead of searching the web for any news on this story. Someone always posts a link to whatever is going on.

I have no dog in this hunt, other than I'm against any public money for pro sports teams in general. I still find it hard to believe that Glendale got bent over back to back years for $25M a clip to keep this team. That's what drew me to this mess. Had I been a Glendale taxpayer, I would've been livid.

With that said, it doesn't mean I feel the area should lose its team, but I just don't see how they are financially viable in AZ when they are still waiting to turn their first dollar in profit since leaving Winnipeg. I digress...

to be fair, the current owners of the Coyotes do not feel they purchased one franchise, they purchased 1/30 of the entire league.

member 157595

I agree. I also don't think they're relocating for next year.

I don't know where they're going to play after next year but they've stayed alive for this long against all odds so nothing would surprise me. I just don't know how the hell they're going to do it yet.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Hmmm...one post, two different articles... :D

First, this one: ASU, developer going vertical with first phase of athletic facilities district

To quote:

"“This is going to be a walkable development, and will set the tone and scale for the remainder of the acreage,†said John Creer, ASU vice president for real estate development. “Across the street, we see development of a hockey arena, a smaller, perhaps gymnastics arena and replacement for Wells Fargo Arena. This creates a sports district entrance to the area.â€"

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...loper-going-vertical-with-first-phase-of.html

But, no mention of 'partnering' with the Coyotes...

Then, there is this one: Regional cooperation needed to keep Arizona Coyotes

To quote:

"The recent spat between the Glendale and Phoenix regarding who will host the Arizona Coyotes reminds us that somehow we in Arizona have yet to learn how to do “regional.â€

From its name, you would expect the Arizona Coyotes would be sponsored and embraced by the entire state. But such is not the case.

Instead of this unseemly squabbling, form an alliance among the parties that have an interest in keeping this franchise in the state.

It’s probably the case that no single entity in Arizona can afford to take on this fiscal responsibility by itself. And who has the stomach to build yet another multi-million-dollar state-of-the-art sports facility when we already have several?"

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...eration-needed-keep-arizona-coyotes/85154530/

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Has the NHL wrapped the Coyotes Saga for the season? This summer replacement show, Breach of Trust, looks interesting though. :popcorn:

No idea... but Tony, got 20 days from tomorrow to roll-out his new arena plans, partners, locations etc as per his own self imposed Deadline. June 24th & "I'll be shocked if we havent got it done by then" (or words to that affect).... I dont think theres any question whatsoever that the fate of that team & its current state is one of the flys' in the holdup's with the NHL's expansion plans. Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the NHL Executive Committee meet on Tuesday June 7th (or 14th?) and that Bettman & Daly have both signaled that they expect an announcement on Expansion will then follow? Theres the larger NHL BOG's Meeting on June 22nd in Las Vegas but it seems we may find out earlier whether or not they Expand at all, by 1 or by 2, and with this situation being what it is, surely to God there must be a realization that the current situation in Glendale & Metro Phoenix is beyond untenable & that they can recoup all of their losses & then some in simply selling the franchise to Foley for $500M. LeBlanc & Co, AHL ownership in Tucson, the level that they should be at & thats that. Thing is though, seems unlikely. IceArizona just hired a new COO, GM, Tippet given greater authority etc so superficially, they dont appear to be preparing for a sale at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No idea... but Tony, got 20 days from tomorrow to roll-out his new arena plans, partners, locations etc as per his own self imposed Deadline. June 24th & "I'll be shocked if we havent got it done by then" (or words to that affect).... I dont think theres any question whatsoever that the fate of that team & its current state is one of the flys' in the holdup's with the NHL's expansion plans. Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the NHL Executive Committee meet on Tuesday June 7th (or 14th?) and that Bettman & Daly have both signaled that they expect an announcement on Expansion will then follow? Theres the larger NHL BOG's Meeting on June 22nd in Las Vegas but it seems we may find out earlier whether or not they Expand at all, by 1 or by 2, and with this situation being what it is, surely to God there must be a realization that the current situation in Glendale & Metro Phoenix is beyond untenable & that they can recoup all of their losses & then some in simply selling the franchise to Foley for $500M. LeBlanc & Co, AHL ownership in Tucson, the level that they should be at & thats that. Thing is though, seems unlikely. IceArizona just hired a new COO, GM, Tippet given greater authority etc so superficially, they dont appear to be preparing for a sale at all.

K, I'm pretty certain that LeBlank's "announcement" will just kick the can down the road a bit further. It seems very unlikely that he'll have anything concrete in place by then, and the notion of "shovels in the ground" within 9-12 months doesn't seem remotely plausible.

Waffler's gonna waffle....

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Sell Phx to LV, and come back to Phoenix in a few years with a proper plan. This franchise wasnt ready from the start. I think this area for hockey just needs the Expos treatment, leave for a awhile and come back with a proper start that actually nurtures fans.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
yaaaaaawwwwnnn....... ....

The AHL stuff has been on forum 40 for a couple of days now.

Sunnucks is still recycling everyone else's old news.

Guess it wouldn't be normal for the megathread to go more than a couple of days without another useless "slag IA" segment. :shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
yaaaaaawwwwnnn....... ....

The AHL stuff has been on forum 40 for a couple of days now.

Sunnucks is still recycling everyone else's old news.

Guess it wouldn't be normal for the megathread to go more than a couple of days without another useless "slag IA" segment. :shakehead

"Slagging" them? No ones "slagging" them. General observations but tell ya what?... Someone seemingly pathologically moving the goals all over the field, expecting people to suspend their common sense, thats disrespecting the intelligence of people regardless of whether or not their invested emotionally & or financially in the club (locals). If you'd like, can go real hard-core in terms of "slagging" these Pretenders but whats the point? They dont need any shoving from me or anyone else in that department. Complete joke of an ownership group, organization. Look at the state of things. Slag what? These guys are mired in slag. Up to their necks in it. Is it unfair, are we slagging in wondering whats next? Where things go from here or from June 24th (or thereabouts) thereafter?... Ya... Dont think so TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad