Phoenix CXV: NHL Fantasy Ownership & GM Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Advanced stats guru, eh?

Todd McLellan once said that the best analytics are eyeballs. I agree. I don't see this working well in Arizona.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's a good idea to include analytics in the management of a hockey team. I don't think having a mid-twenties analytics guy as the key management guy is a great idea. Giving the coach more prominence than the GM isn't going to end well. Firing a GM with a half-baked plan to replace him is odd, but not really a surprise with LeBlanc in the captain's chair.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think it's a good idea to include analytics in the management of a hockey team. I don't think having a mid-twenties analytics guy as the key management guy is a great idea. Giving the coach more prominence than the GM isn't going to end well. Firing a GM with a half-baked plan to replace him is odd, but not really a surprise with LeBlanc in the captain's chair.

I can just picture this crew in the war room prior to the draft.

Leblanc " Let's trade Domi, OEL and swap 1sts with the Leafs. I'm sure if we have Matthews we can get some shovels in the ground on that new arena we need in the valley"

Kid GM -" I've got a guy at 7 that Central Scouting has at 37 but we need to make a reach not to lose him. He has great possession numbers"

Tippett - " Doan is old and doesn't have much left in the tank. We need some grit and intangables."

Drummond "It's my money I'll make the decisions around here"

Barroway " Without my US citizenship you guys would be puppets to Fortress and I promised my kid he could make our 1st pick"

Sounds fun, doesn't it.:popcorn:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
If there is one thing to be said about Chayka, is that his company Stathletes, created their own statistics based on video evidence. They went far beyond Corsi and Fenwick and tracked actual time of possession, zone time, scoring chances, etc. Does that mean he's qualified to be a GM? Probabaly not. But he's not just a spreadsheet analyst. It's not like they just hired Travis Yost or Ryan Lambert.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I will say that I don't know why the NHL would let IA continue on the charade like this if the team was possibly moving this summer. Might not have the ability to stop them, might not care enough. I do remember the Thrashers pretending like everything was normal right up until it happened, though..

..look... everythings just fine... Hunky-Dory... new arena... new GM... unbuckle...
relax... have a Double-Double... some Timbits ... enjoy the flight.... handled....

shatnertz_5046.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Leblanc " Let's trade Domi, OEL and swap 1sts with the Leafs. I'm sure if we have Matthews we can get some shovels in the ground on that new arena we need in the valley"

Kid GM -" I've got a guy at 7 that Central Scouting has at 37 but we need to make a reach not to lose him. He has great possession numbers"

Tippett - " Doan is old and doesn't have much left in the tank. We need some grit and intangables."

Barroway " Without my US citizenship you guys would be puppets to Fortress and I promised my kid he could make our 1st pick"

Excuse me while I find a bridge to jump off. :cry:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If there is one thing to be said about Chayka, is that his company Stathletes, created their own statistics based on video evidence. They went far beyond Corsi and Fenwick and tracked actual time of possession, zone time, scoring chances, etc. Does that mean he's qualified to be a GM? Probabaly not. But he's not just a spreadsheet analyst. It's not like they just hired Travis Yost or Ryan Lambert.

The problem isn't that Chayka is young and inexperienced. That has its own set of challenges.

The problem is that the power dynamic within the organization means he's maybe third fiddle if he's lucky. A power hungry coach actively lobbied a divided ownership group to get a very good sitting GM fired. There is a reason none of the noted assistants around the league even interviewed or returned the Coyotes calls for all we know.

IA is stuck with Chayka because others weren't so keen on taking the job.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
City records show nearly $45 million loss on Gila River Arena management

To quote:

"The total revenue paid to the city under the arena management agreements has been $35,307,210 over the life of the arena, while paying out over $80 million to the NHL and IceArizona over the past six years. The city’s total revenue net loss is $44, 744,160.

“The total revenue net of arena management fees (the $44.7 million) is simply the revenue less the management fees,†Duensing said."

Source: http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_a56ff9a0-10b7-11e6-9225-ef4da6b407bf.html

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA

To quote:

"The total revenue paid to the city under the arena management agreements has been $35,307,210 over the life of the arena, while paying out over $80 million to the NHL and IceArizona over the past six years. The city’s total revenue net loss is $44, 744,160.

“The total revenue net of arena management fees (the $44.7 million) is simply the revenue less the management fees,†Duensing said."

yet some low info folks will still erroneously claim that the AEG lease will cost more :nod:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Sounds accurate. I don't know LeBlanc or any of the owners, but in my gut, I'm pretty confident in saying that "ownership" wants Matthews... no question. And if ownership wants him, you can bet they will sell the farm to try and get him.

The questions are:

- would the Leafs ever think about making the trade?

- What would Tippett and his new numbers guy Chayka think about going after Matthews?

And as a side note... Chayka isn't just the youngest GM in NHL history, he's the youngest one ever in the four major North American sports leagues. And the new GM is younger than 14 players on the current roster.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

To quote:

“The total revenue net of arena management fees (the $44.7 million) is simply the revenue less the management fees,” Duensing said."

Source: http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_a56ff9a0-10b7-11e6-9225-ef4da6b407bf.html

These are staggering...

Over the life of the arena, there have been 133 non-hockey events held at the arena, with a majority of them, 67, presented during the previous four years that AEG was assisting booking events (2006-2009).

Over the time that the NHL or IceArizona was managing the arena, (2013-16), there have been 34 events that cost the city more than $80 million dollars in management fees.

Add in the arena debt service payments since 2004-05, which totals $115,629,695, and the city has lost $160,373,855 with an additional $225,235,278 in debt payments due between 2016 and 2033.

Cities need to look at numbers like this when they are thinking of getting in the "let's build an arena" business.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
These are staggering...

Over the life of the arena, there have been 133 non-hockey events held at the arena, with a majority of them, 67, presented during the previous four years that AEG was assisting booking events (2006-2009).

Over the time that the NHL or IceArizona was managing the arena, (2013-16), there have been 34 events that cost the city more than $80 million dollars in management fees.

Add in the arena debt service payments since 2004-05, which totals $115,629,695, and the city has lost $160,373,855 with an additional $225,235,278 in debt payments due between 2016 and 2033.

Noticed you omitted events booked between 2010-2012. AEG was responsible for those years too.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Sounds like the arena was sitting empty a lot of the time.

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

To quote:

Thanks Llama.

Although it's a bit muddled and seems to present different years re: revenues and re: expenses, this is the sort of investigative approach so many of us have been calling for from local media.

Im struck by three things. 1) The article says Glendale has still not paid the remaining $5M of the second $25M payment to the NHL. I thot they had paid that. 2) Glendale is said to have received nothing in naming rights revenues in 15-16. Is that true? And 3) AEG is said to have been comparatively much better at booking non-hockey events (67 during 2006-2009 - under Moyes?) than IA or the NHL (34 from 2013-2016) - which speaks well for the future, but Im a bit confused as to when AEG was actually there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

To quote:

yet some low info folks will still erroneously claim that the AEG lease will cost more :nod:

They'll also claim that Glendale chased the Coyotes away.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Noticed you omitted events booked between 2010-2012. AEG was responsible for those years too.

Fair enough, but I didn't omit anything. I don't write the articles. You have an issue... take it up with Darrell Jackson at the Glendale Star. If he had included those numbers I would have posted them, but lets do the math since we can.

Total non hockey events: 133
2006-2009 AEG : 67 ( 4 years )
2010-2012 not in the article: 32 ( 3 years )
2013-2016 IA: 34 ( 3 years plus current )

So what's your point? IA had a little more time managing the arena over 2010-2012 and only hosted an extra 2 non-hockey events. Anyone could have done better.

Regardless... anyone who thinks that AEG won't do a better job managing the arena and thinks that IA should have been left in charge is only looking at it from the point of view of keeping the hockey team in Arizona, and not looking at the view of what is best for Glendale.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sounds accurate. I don't know LeBlanc or any of the owners, but in my gut, I'm pretty confident in saying that "ownership" wants Matthews... no question. And if ownership wants him, you can bet they will sell the farm to try and get him.

The questions are:

- would the Leafs ever think about making the trade?

- What would Tippett and his new numbers guy Chayka think about going after Matthews?

And as a side note... Chayka isn't just the youngest GM in NHL history, he's the youngest one ever in the four major North American sports leagues. And the new GM is younger than 14 players on the current roster.

Tippett won't want to go after Matthews because he's too young. He'll push the GM to draft older players, if possible.

LeBlanc has said unequivocally that they aren't trading OEL for Matthews. It's helpful for any new GM to know that important trade decisions are actually going to be made by LeBlanc. Chayka doesn't have a good database full of his advanced stats on Matthews so he's not sure whether or not he's any good.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Sounds like the arena was sitting empty a lot of the time.

Most arenas do, which makes a mall and an arena an odd pairing to bring foot traffic. When the arena isn't hosting an event, it does nothing to help foot traffic.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Tippett won't want to go after Matthews because he's too young. He'll push the GM to draft older players, if possible.

LeBlanc has said unequivocally that they aren't trading OEL for Matthews. It's helpful for any new GM to know that important trade decisions are actually going to be made by LeBlanc. Chayka doesn't have a good database full of his advanced stats on Matthews so he's not sure whether or not he's any good.

this is an interesting point. presumably Chayka has considerably more data on the coyotes players, because he collected them. im not sure he would necessarily have those same data on players not on the coyotes, let alone minor leaguers. these data dont just appear on espn. it takes time and either direct in-person, or detailed video observation of actual on-ice behaviours to generate useful metrics.

i can see he would be well positioned to understand how best to use coyotes players - because he's been watching them for a while now. im not as confident he would be as well positioned to know which other players he may or may not want, or more importantly, be all that well informed to initiate trades and actually manage the franchise. overall, im not convinced his statistical or analytical expertise is really that much of an advantage in the GM position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad