Not open for further replies.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
EXCLUSIVE: Arizona Coyotes hire new COO

To quote:

"The National Hockey League team has hired Ari Segal as chief operating officer.

Segal comes to the Coyotes from the American Hockey League’s San Diego Gulls. They are an affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/05/25/exclusive-arizona-coyotes-hire-new-coo.html

I used to go to Gulls games in San Diego (when I lived there) and what he did there in a short amount of time in that market is spectacular. The arena is a **** hole. I mean their press box was a damned folding table in the middle of the stands. To have the second highest attendance in the AHL in that market in that festering pile of crap of an arena is an amazing feat. If he can do the same in Phoenix he's going to do wonders for the franchise.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This thread is starting to feel like senioritis, people just goofing off and using the :laugh: smiley.

... :laugh: kinda huh?

I used to go to Gulls games in San Diego and what he did there in a short amount of time in that market is spectacular. The arena is a **** hole. I mean their press box was a damned folding table in the middle of the stands. To have the second highest attendance in the AHL in that market in that festering pile of crap of an arena is an amazing feat. If he can do the same in Phoenix he's going to do wonders for the franchise.

Interesting. Why in the Hell didnt they hire someone like this in 2013?... Wouldnt be buying a condo or a house if I were you Ari. Short-term furnished do just fine. Month to month.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I used to go to Gulls games in San Diego (when I lived there) and what he did there in a short amount of time in that market is spectacular. The arena is a **** hole. I mean their press box was a damned folding table in the middle of the stands. To have the second highest attendance in the AHL in that market in that festering pile of crap of an arena is an amazing feat. If he can do the same in Phoenix he's going to do wonders for the franchise.

The arena may be **** but the market was ripe for picking. I've lived in San Diego for 10 years now there has always been a heavy hockey presence from minor hockey to adult rec. The history of hockey as well as the number of transplants in San Diego has a lot to do with it.

Before the Gulls returned, there were six sheets of ice in San Diego. You don't build six sheets of ice unless there is a lot of demand.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Before the Gulls returned, there were six sheets of ice in San Diego. You don't build six sheets of ice unless there is a lot of demand.

Yeah, very popular for decades. In-line Hockey as well. Willie O'Ree doing much to popularize the sport having played for the Gulls for 7yrs (frm 67 on), retired, then came out of Retirement to play for San Diego Charms entry in what was the equivalent of Senior A, then I believe the Hawks of the old PHL. Long-time Security Director at the Hotel del Coronado Hotel thereafter. Quite the games promoter, Coach etc running clinics & so on. Hired by the NHL in 98 to promote their Hockey Diversity Program.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah, very popular for decades. In-line Hockey as well. Willie O'Ree doing much to popularize the sport having played for the Gulls for 7yrs (frm 67 on), retired, then came out of Retirement to play for San Diego Charms entry in what was the equivalent of Senior A, then I believe the Hawks of the old PHL. Long-time Security Director at the Hotel del Coronado Hotel thereafter. Quite the games promoter, Coach etc running clinics & so on. Hired by the NHL in 98 to promote their Hockey Diversity Program.

Yep, and before ASU there was D1 NCAA hockey in San Diego in the 80's.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The arena may be **** but the market was ripe for picking. I've lived in San Diego for 10 years now there has always been a heavy hockey presence from minor hockey to adult rec. The history of hockey as well as the number of transplants in San Diego has a lot to do with it.

They couldn't sustain the last version of the Gulls when It was the Avs ECHL franchise. The history of hockey is long and storied but having every major branch of the armed forces in the area also helps too.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
They couldn't sustain the last version of the Gulls when It was the Avs ECHL franchise. The history of hockey is long and storied but having every major branch of the armed forces in the area also helps too.

ECHL Gulls folded because of ownership. Had nothing to do with the market. Even in their last year they averaged 5,800 fans per game and that number was on the rise.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

ECHL is a tough sell a lot of times. I went to a lot of Las Vegas Thunder IHL games, and I hit the Wranglers (ECHL) a few times, but not nearly as often as I did the Thunder.

Vegas did pretty well as an ECHL market, better than average. However, the Thunder were pulling significantly higher average attendance figures while playing in a Las Vegas that was about half the size of the Las Vegas in which the Wranglers played.

I think it's just the way it goes.

To keep it on topic: The fact that the Gulls are doing so well is great and a good sign for the Coyotes with the new hire. :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ECHL is a tough sell a lot of times.

Ya, some interesting promotions from the Wranglers, highly creative, amusing.... giving away free orange safety vests to fans that said "Dont Shoot, Im Human" following Dick Cheneys' hunting accident; Rod Blagojevich Prison Uniform Night, the Wranglers in orange one piece jumpsuits, their opponents (Bakersfield?) in black & white stripes.... then there was the Girl Scout Uniform. :laugh:

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Ya, some interesting promotions from the Wranglers, highly creative, amusing.... giving away free orange safety vests to fans that said "Dont Shoot, Im Human" following Dick Cheneys' hunting accident; Rod Blagojevich Prison Uniform Night, the Wranglers in orange one piece jumpsuits, their opponents in black & white stripes.... then there was the Girl Scout Uniform. :laugh:

The Indoor Winter Classic was my favorite. They just propped open all the entry doors and opened the big freight doors and let the outside in.

They were gimmicky, but funny.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
The Indoor Winter Classic was my favorite. They just propped open all the entry doors and opened the big freight doors and let the outside in.

They were gimmicky, but funny.

Went to an adult Can-Am camp with either Chris or Peter Ferraro (can't remember which one for obvious reasons) 7 years ago. The stories he told of playing professional hockey in Las Vegas...

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Sunnucks with another article behind the paywall regarding the arena.

Doesn't sound like much but it's there for anyone who has access.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/05/25/arizona-coyotes-expected-to-make-arena.html?ana=twt

Not much to report.

“We anticipate making some kind of announcement,†LeBlanc said

Still have multiple options. Team will play at GRA next year and perhaps beyond while they wait for new arena to be finished. Options are same as discussed before with no real updates.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Not much to report.

“We anticipate making some kind of announcement,” LeBlanc said

Still have multiple options. Team will play at GRA next year and perhaps beyond while they wait for new arena to be finished. Options are same as discussed before with no real updates.

There's no story here...as is usual, multiple options...blah, blah...no one is confirming those multiple options...blah, blah...

LeBlanc is shooting LeBlanks... :shakehead

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So by my math we are 30 days from Lebeesur's announcement on which pile of dirt the Coyotes have chosen to build their new arena on.

Nothing of any actual substance being reported nor offered up by IA or any of their supposed "true partnership" partners. Groups are usually excited about these announcements and leaks appear from one side or the other. If Lebeesur has nothing to leak one can only assume why that may be.....arena announcement forthcoming by the 130th anniversary of Geronimo's surrender.:popcorn:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I haven't been around much the past several weeks. Lots of personal stuff going on.

So by skimming the boards, Glendale picked AEG to manage the arena, the Coyotes are annoyed and keep saying they should have an announcement soon. Does that sum it up?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
So by skimming the boards, Glendale picked AEG to manage the arena, the Coyotes are annoyed and keep saying they should have an announcement soon. Does that sum it up?

Almost. I didn't see any flight tracking posts - but I can confirm that William Daly was in San Jose this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad