OT: Phoenix Coyotes Lounge IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Like I said before, there are 2 kinds of police in the world both good and bad. However, I wouldn't dare say that something like the Rodney King incident is excatly the same as the incidents directly involving Dormer. In fact, it can be argued that the recent shooting in Torrence on the basis of mistaken identity is far worse than the King incident.

Also with those amatur videos I would be careful as well since where some come in handy to show cops at their worst sometimes they don't show the whole story to what is really going on.

There are also 2 kinds of people, good and bad. I feel I'm a good person because I wait for a cop to walk up to me when pulled over at night before I reach for my wallet and information, so they can see what I'm doing. I got pulled over just over a month ago, for a very stupid reason, but I got pulled over. It was not turning into the inside lane on a 3 lane road in 1 direction. At night I wait for the cop to walk up to me and I acknowledge them. I then tell him I'm going for my wallet and my insurance/car registration in the glove box. I understand cops are worried about something happening, it just happens. Cops have to deal with very different people. They can pull me over, someone that won't threaten them in any way, or someone else that could have a gun and cause problems. That is why I try to give cops the benefit of the doubt, but in the end they still need responsibility of themselves to not overreact to certain situations.

Doaner could probably chime in with this, because I'm sure as DPS he's had to deal with people that weren't respectful and causing problems. I can imagine, a cop with a wife and kids at home always thinking about that when approaching someone and having to bring up something they did wrong. It's just the nature of society. I'm not trying to say cops are bad people, but they also have a family to think about and I'm sure at some points they think about "I hope I go home to my family tonight." Not to mention those that know their friends that have committed suicide, or shot by someone they pulled over, etc. I believe 2 years ago there were 2 Flagstaff cops that killed themselves. That makes other cops in the same city/force think about things.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
That's why I don't like the military flyovers at sporting events. Honor those in uniform that fight for us, sure. Like the Coyotes do with the hero of the game, or have a reunion on the field/ice - a soldier coming home from active duty after so long, that's AMAZING!!!!

But why glorify our military power? It sends the wrong idea IMO. I'm probably in the major minority with this, but our military should be a last resort. I want us out of Afghanistan, and I don't want us trying to form a certain type of government in another country. Sure, take down the dictator, or the oppressive government. But since we did it in Iraq, why aren't we doing it in Syria, why aren't we doing it in North Korea, why aren't we doing it in Iran?

Didn't mean to turn this into a political rant, but we don't have the money to spend on wars, but we continue to do so.
No I pretty much agree. My biggest problem with the new Jets is the whole military cirklejerk they've been having since day one and it's pretty disgusting.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have to agree with this. There are plenty of situations where high speed chases finish off with someone surrendering, while granted they led cops through a chase that endangered them and countless innocent civilians on the road, in the end they got out of the car and put their hands up in the air. They posed no threat at that point, but cops still kick them and force them to the ground, might break an arm when handcuffing them, etc. - but it still happens.

There are many cases where the suspect has already given up or been restrained, and yet they still kill them. There is a subset of police, consisting of officers (female and male) who are constantly itching to use their weapon and generally beat on people. These sorts give the rest a bad name.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There are many cases where the suspect has already given up or been restrained, and yet they still kill them. There is a subset of police, consisting of officers (female and male) who are constantly itching to use their weapon and generally beat on people. These sorts give the rest a bad name.
And that's the problem with the blue line/wall whatever you want to call it, those sociopaths are never held accountable for their actions.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well, US Airways and American Airlines poised to merge now. Rumors have it that they want to move the hub from Phoenix to Texas? My friend works in Accounting for US Airways here in Tempe, I just hope she retains her job if this does happen. I'm sure she will, considering how big the company will be, and Accounting is a pretty big department already for US Airways. I just hope not a lot of people will lose their jobs because of this, but I did read something they are looking at $1.5 billion in savings after consolidating things?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just goes to show that no state is ammune to having their jobs outsourced to Texas.
I'm sure Texas is a great place to visit and for many an awesome place to live. However, I can't see myself living in that state as I couldn't adapt to the way of live there.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
I wouldn't necessarily say this is outsourcing. They are merging and after a while they will start removing redundant departments. The company I work for bought competitors in Texas and moved the main operations to California and Arizona.

Flying Chalupa

Jan 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Hey guys, can someone tell me which tablets (if any) can be used to run MS Office (Excel,Word)? Or do I just need a laptop?

I'm going to be using public transit for my commute soon and want to put the time to good use.

Thanks in advance

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting. The facts that it's so consistent, that everything works outside of games and that failures don't lead to a BSOD would lead me to believe it's a software problem linked to DirectX.

Let us know if changing the card fixes your problem. I'm curious.
It was the PSU. I (foolishly) thought that, since the system started normally, the GPU I installed a few weeks ago was getting enough juice from the 12V rail. Turns out... it wasn't. Things worked as long as my poor 500W PSU was willing to bust its ass, but eventually it had its "**** you, I quit" moment.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just got done watching the police press conference on the Dorner case. The cause of death is based on a single gunshot wound to the head self-inflicted. Of course, I can't wait for more consipiracy theories to laugh at over the coming days.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Hey guys, can someone tell me which tablets (if any) can be used to run MS Office (Excel,Word)? Or do I just need a laptop?

I'm going to be using public transit for my commute soon and want to put the time to good use.

Thanks in advance

Best part about Windows 8 Surface RT is that it actually comes with full version of Office on it for free! Just keep in mind that the RT version of Windows 8 is not the same as normal windows 8.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It was the PSU. I (foolishly) thought that, since the system started normally, the GPU I installed a few weeks ago was getting enough juice from the 12V rail. Turns out... it wasn't. Things worked as long as my poor 500W PSU was willing to bust its ass, but eventually it had its "**** you, I quit" moment.

The PSU likely had enough wattage. 6870's don't draw a ton of power.
Either it degraded over time or a rail went bad.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got done watching the police press conference on the Dorner case. The cause of death is based on a single gunshot wound to the head self-inflicted. Of course, I can't wait for more consipiracy theories to laugh at over the coming days.

I wonder if it was before or after the fire. If they set fire to the cabin, any sane person would much rather die from an instant death from a gun than burning alive, or smoke inhalation. I mean heck, look at all those people that jumped from the WTC on 9/11. Obviously jumping and taking your life instantly on impact compared to burning alive or smoke inhalation was their choice in the ways to die. It's so sad to think about, because I could never fathom being in that position, and would never want to.

zz

Nov 1, 2006

Ah. Makes sense. Well, at least it's a pretty cheap fix!

Thx for the update.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I wonder if it was before or after the fire. If they set fire to the cabin, any sane person would much rather die from an instant death from a gun than burning alive, or smoke inhalation. I mean heck, look at all those people that jumped from the WTC on 9/11. Obviously jumping and taking your life instantly on impact compared to burning alive or smoke inhalation was their choice in the ways to die. It's so sad to think about, because I could never fathom being in that position, and would never want to.

Very bad comparason there about the twin towers and the cabin as it is not even close when you analize it more deeply and into detail on the factual history of events. The bottom line is that Dorner had plenty of chanes to surrender and in every single case he has resorted to deadly force. In the end, he deserved to die for that he did and Dormer's death comes as a reminder to all of us that karma does exist in the world.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Very bad comparason there about the twin towers and the cabin as it is not even close when you analize it more deeply and into detail on the factual history of events. The bottom line is that Dorner had plenty of chanes to surrender and in every single case he has resorted to deadly force. In the end, he deserved to die for that he did and Dormer's death comes as a remind that karma does exist in the world.

I know you can't compare the 2 situations, but the way of death was the same(for the most part).

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I know you can't compare the 2 situations, but the way of death was the same(for the most part).

No it wasn't seeing that even with the tear gas coming in the cabin he had plenty of ways to exit the place through the doors and windows, he chose instead to kill himself as the tear gas was still being shot in. Besides, he was shooting at them from inside the cabin before the tear gas was being sent in. Not surpring since when you read between the lines of his manifesto, he was a very deterimined man to not only kill as many targets as possible but wasn't going to be taken alive as he said that he is not afraid to die because he has already died(in his own words).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad