OT: Phoenix Coyotes Lounge IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply--but I should tell you that it may be necessary to explain things to me with pictures. (It was my misfortune to major in the humanities.)

1. Make sure video drivers are up to date
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_2_download.html

2. Make sure sound drivers are up to date. Guessing you have Realtek
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/realtek_hd_audio_2_70_audio_driver.html

3. Make sure DirectX is up to date. Run Windows Update

5. Defrag the harddrive
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Before you panic and start blaming hardware, always eliminate the possible software issues. Drivers not being up to date or conflicts with windows are the #1 cause of problems. If this is the first time you've heard the word driver and have never updated in 3 years, I'm betting that's the problem.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
^ Yes. Updated drivers and a full anti-virus scan should be your first steps.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for the advice everyone. My drivers are all up to date--in fact, I reinstalled my video driver last night--and I still get the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I'm running an AV scan now, but I'm pretty fastidious about that sort of thing to begin with, and I'd be a bit surprised if it were malware-related.

I haven't done the memtest program yet, but I did do the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which came up clean. I also removed and re-installed the RAM sticks themselves, but that didn't fix anything.

Core Temp is showing my TjMax to be 115 Celsius. My CPU temp right now, with MS Security Essentials, Firefox, and Core Temp running, is floating between 38 and 46 Celsius. Is that significant at all?

There's no BSOD; the monitor just cuts out, and the machine keeps running, but I can't get the video to come back. It's like the screen saver turned on and won't turn off.

I've been browsing the internet and running driver software and so on all day without a recurrence--if anything, all the stuff I've been doing has made the system run faster than before. But the minute I load a game, it happens again. It also happened once while I was trying to update my Windows Experience Rating (whatever that is). All things considered, would it make sense if it were the PSU or GPU, then? Which should I tinker with first? Or is there still a software problem I should rule out?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
All things considered, would it make sense if it were the PSU or GPU, then? Which should I tinker with first? Or is there still a software problem I should rule out?

I basically agree with your assessment, assuming there isn't something software wise you missed.

Yes, it sounds like it's the GPU crashing. You may run driver sweeper first, then try a clean driver install. http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

It could be a power issue, what kind of power supply do you have? If your 12v rail is failing then when your video card starts drawing heavily from that, crashing makes sense. This is harder to definitively prove though. Failing PSU's can even pass tests without the right equipment.

Do you happen to have an onboard video you can use?

Temps look okay, but 46c is a tad toasty for what is effectively idling, but still well in safe range. Stock cooler? What CPU?

Also on the heat issue, have you checked your video cards temps? HWmonitor will show them.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone. My drivers are all up to date--in fact, I reinstalled my video driver last night--and I still get the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I'm running an AV scan now, but I'm pretty fastidious about that sort of thing to begin with, and I'd be a bit surprised if it were malware-related.

I haven't done the memtest program yet, but I did do the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which came up clean. I also removed and re-installed the RAM sticks themselves, but that didn't fix anything.

Core Temp is showing my TjMax to be 115 Celsius. My CPU temp right now, with MS Security Essentials, Firefox, and Core Temp running, is floating between 38 and 46 Celsius. Is that significant at all?

There's no BSOD; the monitor just cuts out, and the machine keeps running, but I can't get the video to come back. It's like the screen saver turned on and won't turn off.

I've been browsing the internet and running driver software and so on all day without a recurrence--if anything, all the stuff I've been doing has made the system run faster than before. But the minute I load a game, it happens again. It also happened once while I was trying to update my Windows Experience Rating (whatever that is). All things considered, would it make sense if it were the PSU or GPU, then? Which should I tinker with first? Or is there still a software problem I should rule out?

OK, I would rule out a RAM or CPU problem since memory diagnostics look good and your temps, while a bit high, are not anywhere close to melting point.

The fact that your computer keeps running, but the screen just goes dark, seems to indicate a GPU failure, although in my experience those tend to give me a BSOD.

How hard is it to reproduce the problem? How long does your machine usually take to go dark?

Personally I'd start with replacing the GPU and see where that takes you. It';s probably the easiest piece to replace, and if it doesn't fix your problem, you can always return it.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It is now believed that the ex-cop has now shot 2 more officers and has a couple held hostage in a cabin in Big Bear.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
All right, it now seems to be the video card. HWMonitor tells me everything is fine temp- and power-wise, right until I tab into a game. I can even start the game and immediately tab out, letting it load in the background, and everything seems totally normal until I tab back in--then it all goes kaput. (I've tried running different games, of course, to make sure that it wasn't just one in particular, but it doesn't seem to matter. Even games that worked perfectly well before the problem started now cause the crash.)

Thanks again everybody. This is the first time I've had to do any real troubleshooting since I started messing with DIY PCs; if not for your help I suspect I'd have gone back to an off-the-shelf brand with my tail between my legs.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
All right, it now seems to be the video card. HWMonitor tells me everything is fine temp- and power-wise, right until I tab into a game. I can even start the game and immediately tab out, letting it load in the background, and everything seems totally normal until I tab back in--then it all goes kaput. (I've tried running different games, of course, to make sure that it wasn't just one in particular, but it doesn't seem to matter. Even games that worked perfectly well before the problem started now cause the crash.)

Thanks again everybody. This is the first time I've had to do any real troubleshooting since I started messing with DIY PCs; if not for your help I suspect I'd have gone back to an off-the-shelf brand with my tail between my legs.

Interesting. The facts that it's so consistent, that everything works outside of games and that failures don't lead to a BSOD would lead me to believe it's a software problem linked to DirectX.

Let us know if changing the card fixes your problem. I'm curious.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Interesting. The facts that it's so consistent, that everything works outside of games and that failures don't lead to a BSOD would lead me to believe it's a software problem linked to DirectX.

Let us know if changing the card fixes your problem. I'm curious.
Now you mention it, the problem first occurred when I was installing/patching a game. Is it possible that DirectX was somehow damaged? But I've run dxdiag twice now, and it's not reporting any problems.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hey fellas, anyone fairly handy? Any home improvement types? I'm in way over my head on a project and am looking for some advice. The previous owners of my home built an elevated deck, with a free standing gazebo structure surrounding it. They built a paver patio up to the deck. Every bit of it was incredibly poorly built. First, there is no foundation and the as far as I can tell the earth was not grubbed, cleared, packed or graded. They just burried cinder blocks at something approaching level and equal height. They set the standing structure on the same blocks to I guess attempt to use counter pressure on the blocks. Insane. The standing structure is wired. The left the electrical exposed and sitting atop the earth under the deck. It's just strewn across from wild angle to even crazier angle with no recognizible pattern or logic. The existing paver patio was built up to the deck and left unfinished. They just used the deck to shim it in. No bricks sunk to to finish the damn thing.

Anyhow, my neighborhood was recently invaded by the roof rat epidemic. Damned if those little ****ers didn't move right in under the gazebo. My insane dog took it upon himself to control the pest issue and dug a hole straight through the top of my deck. I said screw it and demolished the deck. The plan was to build a paver patio within the standing gazebo structure and simply eliminate the deck portion. It wasn't until my demolition was well under way that I noticed the huge construction blunders.

It's too late to turn back. Demolition is complete. Now I'm in way over my head. I'm sure I could build a nice paver patio under optimal conditions. With this, though, I'm going to need a ton of help.

If I post pictures as I go, will anyone here be able to offer advice? Anyone have experience with this?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Now you mention it, the problem first occurred when I was installing/patching a game. Is it possible that DirectX was somehow damaged? But I've run dxdiag twice now, and it's not reporting any problems.

Hmmm... try completely removing all versions of DirectX, reboot and re-install the ones you need (they're not really backwards compatible, DirectX 9, 10 and 11 are very different beasts).

You can also try removing the game that might have started the problem and re-test.

By no means am I guaranteeing that will fix anything, but that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Can someone tell me why on earth the police have access to incendiary grenades?!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

What kind of computer do you have? Do you have a lot of important information you want saved? I have a Dell, and they have a factory restore option, so it returns just to the way your computer was when you first got the computer.

You can always try system restore, and go back to the point before you attempted to install the game.

CCleaner is a pretty useful tool, it removes a lot of junk from your computer. Maybe something is in there that could easily be removed from that program.

Do you have an anti-virus program?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can someone tell me why on earth the police have access to incendiary grenades?!

Basically, the police set fire to the cabin and killed him. It was caught on scanners multiple times, as they kept (stupidly) relaying tactical information over public channels. I expect controversy over this once details come out. This isn't really all that different from the SLA, MOVE or Waco.

NSFW language

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Basically, the police set fire to the cabin and killed him. It was caught on scanners multiple times, as they kept (stupidly) relaying tactical information over public channels. I expect controversy over this once details come out. This isn't really all that different from the SLA, MOVE or Waco.

NSFW language

Except military like force seems to be far more accepted in this day and age for some ignorant reason. Why mess with a little thing like due process when you can just burn everything to the ground.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Except military like force seems to be far more accepted in this day and age for some ignorant reason. Why mess with a little thing like due process when you can just burn everything to the ground.

That's why I don't like the military flyovers at sporting events. Honor those in uniform that fight for us, sure. Like the Coyotes do with the hero of the game, or have a reunion on the field/ice - a soldier coming home from active duty after so long, that's AMAZING!!!!

But why glorify our military power? It sends the wrong idea IMO. I'm probably in the major minority with this, but our military should be a last resort. I want us out of Afghanistan, and I don't want us trying to form a certain type of government in another country. Sure, take down the dictator, or the oppressive government. But since we did it in Iraq, why aren't we doing it in Syria, why aren't we doing it in North Korea, why aren't we doing it in Iran?

Didn't mean to turn this into a political rant, but we don't have the money to spend on wars, but we continue to do so.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Replaced GPU. Wiped old video drivers with Driver Sweeper. Loaded game. Crashed again--but this time, the screen was white. Progress.

If fiddling with DirectX doesn't fix it, I'm thinking it's got to be the PSU. When the crash occurs, it sounds for all the world like the power cuts out, if only for a split second. My 500W PSU should theoretically be able to get the job done, but it's getting on in years, and anyway it seems like I should really be running something closer to 650 or 700.

rt said:
Hey fellas, anyone fairly handy?
If your intention was to make me feel even whiter, nerdier, more socially awkward, and less sexually desirable, mission accomplished.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Because if the accused doesn't want to go quietly in this game of cat and mouse then law enforcement is left with no choice, especially when that same person has killed 4 people and 2 of them are police officers. Dorner had plenty of chances to turn himself in and to surrender without getting shot and it was clear that based on his manifesto that he wasn't going to go quietly.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Because if the accused doesn't want to go quietly in this game of cat and mouse then law enforcement is left with no choice, especially when that same person has killed 4 people and 2 of them are police officers. Dorner had plenty of chances to turn himself in and to surrender without getting shot and it was clear that based on his manifesto that he wasn't going to go quietly.

We have this thing called Due Process. They did not attempt to subdue him, or enter the cabin. It's a dangerous precedent to set, although this has happened before. Burning people alive has no place in a civilized society.

That's why I don't like the military flyovers at sporting events.

If we are going to pay over a billion per B2 stealth bomber, we may as well see the damn things every now and then. :p:

I'm probably in the major minority with this, but our military should be a last resort. I want us out of Afghanistan

I don't think anyone wants to be there. A very, very small portion of the population actively cheers for war. But what's done is done. We cannot simply leave and watch a whole lot of people who switched to our side be slaughtered because they aren't ready. Afghanistan was once a very prosperous and beautiful place, even somewhere popular with tourists. Decades of war and extremists have ruined that. We haven't exactly helped. The only thing worse than starting a war is leaving the country worse off than how you found it. If the period after WWI and how Germany was treated has taught us anything, it's that you need to see things through. It's not a sexy catch phrase like "bring the troops home!" but it's the least we can do for that country.

But since we did it in Iraq, why aren't we doing it in Syria, why aren't we doing it in North Korea, why aren't we doing it in Iran?

All three of those countries will collapse without a shot being fired. Syria is already in the middle of it. Iran is mostly young and westernized, so it's only a matter of time. North Koreans are eating each other to stay alive, and China is finally tired of their ****. Don't interrupt your enemies when they are making mistakes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That's ********, law enforcement ALWAYS has a choice and they should be better than the man they're pursuing. Taking the high road isn't always easy but it should be a no brainer for the people who are supposed to be the good guys. Instead of setting a civilized example they gave the finger to due process and took the same barbaric path as the villain (I use that word fairly loosely).

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's ********, law enforcement ALWAYS has a choice and they should be better than the man they're pursuing. Taking the high road isn't always easy but it should be a no brainer for the people who are supposed to be the good guys. Instead of setting a civilized example they gave the finger to due process and took the same barbaric path as the villain (I use that word fairly loosely).

I have to agree with this. There are plenty of situations where high speed chases finish off with someone surrendering, while granted they led cops through a chase that endangered them and countless innocent civilians on the road, in the end they got out of the car and put their hands up in the air. They posed no threat at that point, but cops still kick them and force them to the ground, might break an arm when handcuffing them, etc. - but it still happens.

Just 1 video to show what I hate to see:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Not say you here on this but I have noticed how "due process" is getting thrown around way too much since the fire in the cabin started. In that same process I don't see much in the way of anyone citing what due process is, the language of, what laws are in place that says when due process does and doesn't apply. This of course would sound like something more for someone who studies law that can explain this to us in great detail, especially if the Patriot Act comes into play.

Right now until I see otherwise I have no reason to believe that Dormers rights were violated, especially when he was given a chance to put his hands behind his back after stealing a car and he shot 1st at the 2 officers killing one of them and injuring another. From what I have seen as well it appears that there was a gunfight started by Dormer in the Cabin before they started to smoke him out by a gunshot afterwards.

Looks like it maybe a while till the dust settles on this one.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I have to agree with this. There are plenty of situations where high speed chases finish off with someone surrendering, while granted they led cops through a chase that endangered them and countless innocent civilians on the road, in the end they got out of the car and put their hands up in the air. They posed no threat at that point, but cops still kick them and force them to the ground, might break an arm when handcuffing them, etc. - but it still happens.

Just 1 video to show what I hate to see:

Like I said before, there are 2 kinds of police in the world both good and bad. However, I wouldn't dare say that something like the Rodney King incident is excatly the same as the incidents directly involving Dormer. In fact, it can be argued that the recent shooting in Torrence on the basis of mistaken identity is far worse than the King incident.

Also with those amatur videos I would be careful as well since where some come in handy to show cops at their worst sometimes they don't show the whole story to what is really going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad