OT: Phoenix Coyotes Lounge IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Does anyone have a link to the "Shane Doan: In My Own Words" story that premiered over the last few days?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You automatically get refilled to 500 if you go to 0 every month I believe.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
That is a new one to me. What I have seen is if you reach 0 then you get 50 vCash everytime a new vBookie Thread is made. If you use that same 50 on another bet then you get another 50 the monent a new vBookie thread is made. Around September of every year is everyone reset to 500.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Moved

MLS attendance most years hovers between 17,000 and 18,000, which puts the league on par with France and Belgium, ahead of Brazil and Argentina. MLS struggles in terms of market share, because it's still a small fish in a market of 380m in North America, but fans show up to games in a big, big way.

From OEL
That's cool. Makes more sense, too. Someone mentioned 5,000 fans being an adequate number, and that had me puzzled. But 18,000 fans average makes sense.

As far as flow, I know what you mean, but so many games I've watched were decided in the first 45 minutes. If a goal is scored by half time, that's pretty much it, with the leading team going all defense. If not, players will get tired and a tie becomes very likely.

Also, the amount of diving drives me crazy.

From XX

Don't get me wrong, watching the Brazilian or Argentinian national team, Real Madrid or Barcelona play is something special. But that's not what we're talking about here. The US have the best players in the world when it comes to the four top sports. That'll never happen in soccer.

Precisely why I don't watch unless it's the Olympics or World Cup. I don't like Tier 1 soccer in most countries so why would I pay to go watch Tier 2 U.S. soccer?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Precisely why I don't watch unless it's the Olympics or World Cup. I don't like Tier 1 soccer in most countries so why would I pay to go watch Tier 2 U.S. soccer?

Last fall I attended two soccer matches in person: a Champions League group stage game at Emirates with Arsenal hosting Montpellier of France... and the other one, the first MLS game I'd ever attended, DC United @ Portland Timbers. Guess which one had the better crowd, imho?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPzXhfB74pQ

The action on the field was... adequate, but the atmosphere - I would kill to have an atmosphere like that in Glendale.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Last fall I attended two soccer matches in person: a Champions League group stage game at Emirates with Arsenal hosting Montpellier of France... and the other one, the first MLS game I'd ever attended, DC United @ Portland Timbers. Guess which one had the better crowd, imho?

The action on the field was... adequate, but the atmosphere - I would kill to have an atmosphere like that in Glendale.

Portland and Seattle are the exceptions in the MLS. The cities have embraced those teams and tried to make it an experience. The rest of the country is just not as interested.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Moved

From OEL
That's cool. Makes more sense, too. Someone mentioned 5,000 fans being an adequate number, and that had me puzzled. But 18,000 fans average makes sense.

As far as flow, I know what you mean, but so many games I've watched were decided in the first 45 minutes. If a goal is scored by half time, that's pretty much it, with the leading team going all defense. If not, players will get tired and a tie becomes very likely.

Also, the amount of diving drives me crazy.

From XX

Because its there. Because they play right here in our city. I use to live in Germany, my scarf collection is up around 200 ... stadiums visited. Watching on satellite tv at 8am isn't as much fun as going to a live game and standing and yelling with your friends. One man's opinion.

Seattle / Portland are the best, but Salt Lake, Philly and Houston are good too. The more the sport grows, the better every town will get.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Reading into more of the responses on the Sharks board is quite sad. Massive talk about booing Torres and calling him a dirty player but yet forget that they had such players as Suter and Marchant on their team in the past. Them looking to boo Torres would be on the same level of idiocy as when so many of them booed the Canadian National Anthem a few years back.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The GDT for the game vs the Red Wings will be made by Rundblad as I have too much on my plate as it is. Thnak you once again Rundblad for agreeing to do this.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone following the NK situation? just escalated further, and this is a pretty dramatic step, even by NK standards:

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has moved what appears to be a mid-range Musudan missile to its east coast, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said on Thursday, quoting multiple government sources privy to intelligence from U.S. and South Korean authorities.

It was not clear if the missile was mounted with a warhead or whether the North was planning to fire it or was just putting it on display as a show of force, one South Korean government source was quoted as saying.

"South Korean and U.S. intelligence authorities have obtained indications the North has moved an object that appears to be a mid-range missile to the east coast," the source said.

The Musudan missile is believed to have a range of 3,000 km (1,875 miles) or more, which would put all of South Korea and Japan in range and possibly also the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific Ocean. North Korea is not believed to have tested these mid-range missiles, according to most independent experts

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE93301S20130404?irpc=932

Shades of the Cuban missile crisis.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Anyone following the NK situation? just escalated further, and this is a pretty dramatic step, even by NK standards:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE93301S20130404?irpc=932

Shades of the Cuban missile crisis.
SAT analogy time ... this is to 1962 like David Moss is to Gordie Howel. Both are NHL forwards with ties to Michigan. That's about all.
Except Kim Jong-un is crazier than Khrushchev.
Based on what?

I follow NK closely and have for years ... this sabre rattling coincides with a new S Korean president and an American media that hasn't talked about North Korea or Iran for a while.

Somehow the Soviets had 5,000 nuke ICBMs for decades but were deterred by America's 5,000 ICBMs from using them. But N Korea is going to use their two? What's America going to do then?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Somehow the Soviets had 5,000 nuke ICBMs for decades but were deterred by America's 5,000 ICBMs from using them. But N Korea is going to use their two? What's America going to do then?

Sure, times change, but look at our response to the events of 9/11 - and we had to go looking for those people. We know *exactly* where NK is.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Just e-signed my renewal for season tickets next year.

Feels good. Hope the games I just bought tickets to will actually exist, though.
Ticket agent emailed me a couple weeks ago asking about playoffs and renewals (response: "lets MAKE the playoffs first ..."), so here's hoping ... I've always pictured the stay-or-go decision coming down to one season ticket or one jersey purchase ... like the ownership group sets some arbitrary financial target and because a kid wanted a Wetzel Pretzel instead of a hotdog at the last game, they JUST made it ... :laugh:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Ticket agent emailed me a couple weeks ago asking about playoffs and renewals (response: "lets MAKE the playoffs first ..."), so here's hoping ... I've always pictured the stay-or-go decision coming down to one season ticket or one jersey purchase ... like the ownership group sets some arbitrary financial target and because a kid wanted a Wetzel Pretzel instead of a hotdog at the last game, they JUST made it ... :laugh:

I don't even know how much the Wetzel Pretzels cost; I've only ever bought Coyote dogs, the burger combo and the macho nachos. (Edit: and beer)

I'll keep some cash around in case we actually do make the playoffs, though it won't need to be much since it's $80 for the first round in my section (and that's if we were to actually end up with home ice for some reason, if not it would be $60 I think).I wouldn't count on it happening, but it'll be a nice bonus if we do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad