Post-Game Talk: Philly @ The Washington Anthony Manthanys | 7p ET | NBCSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You sure it matters that much? They aren't building for the future. They're trying to win before these guys are 40.
That 1st round pick could also still have been used as trade currency elsewhere, including even as expansion draft protection (if they end up exposing someone like Schultz or Vanecek and don't want them picked).

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
If I get an overdraft fee from my bank for overdrawing my checking account, I don't get a congraulations for paying that overdraft fee. GMBM doesn't score points for paying draft picks to get out of a bad contract that he signed
I get what you are saying, and I might partially agree with you. But I think it would have been worse had GMBM done nothing to address it.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The Ribeiro trade was pretty darn successful for Washington. It was a victim of it's own success, with Ribeiro pricing himself out of signing back with the Capitals. He imploded after he left Washington, but that doesn't change that GMGM addressed the 2C slot for the first time since Fedorov in the Ovie era and that Ribs basically carried the team for the first half of that (shortened) season.

It ended up being a quick fix and one that ended in playoff failure, of course a lot of credit to that goes to Oates and a focused Lundqvist.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’d trade Vrana and a first for Mantha rather easily. I like the player that much. I’m sure GMBM would’ve likely done the same. I imagine the second is a mix of Panik and also getting DET actually willing to move AM. Panik’s contract isn’t really immovable.
It was... in part because he had been trying to move Panik (and Hags and Jensen) and there were no takers. Couldn’t move it and then come deadline time nobody is biting. Had to pay for someone to take him. It’s crazy to me how much leverage the shitty teams have over the good teams come TDL.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
It was... in part because he had been trying to move Panik (and Hags and Jensen) and there were no takers. Couldn’t move it and then come deadline time nobody is biting. Had to pay for someone to take him. It’s crazy to me how much leverage the shitty teams have over the good teams come TDL.

If you told me that Vrana and a first wasn’t enough for Mantha and we had to include next year’s second to get the deal done, I’d still do it. It’s a premium, but, we have an elite, high-end, and unique player with a special set of skills and physical attributes. He was stuck in a terrible situation and I think that he’s going to explode here.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
That 1st round pick could also still have been used as trade currency elsewhere, including even as expansion draft protection (if they end up exposing someone like Schultz or Vanecek and don't want them picked).

They're trying to win, and I'm sure they have a plan for expansion. You're Monday Morning Quarterbacking on Saturday.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It ended up being a quick fix and one that ended in playoff failure, of course a lot of credit to that goes to Oates and a focused Lundqvist.
He scored 49 points in 48 games for the Caps in the regular season and helped anchor the 1-3-1 powerplay that the Capitals are still using today (people forget that Ribeiro, not Backstrom, was the original half wall QB on that PP). Then, yeah, Lundqvist did Lundqvist things to them in the playoffs. The whole team was shut out in games 6 and 7, so nobody's offensive stats look particularly great.

Reactions: koalabear9301

tomwilsonone

May 12, 2018
Could have, but then they wouldn't have #39. How long are you going to whine about it especially considering there isn't a thing you can do about it other than whine even more?

Last edited by a moderator:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
That 1st could do a lot more for them towards that goal of winning the Cup that paying off a bad contract that GMBM himself signed.
I think the first was 100% in there because Mantha is significantly more valuable than Vrana. I can see the second being in there to put the offer over the top and for them to take Panik (who’s overpaid, but, isn’t near the top of the list of worst contracts in the league). I think AM is going to blossom into a near-PPG player here. He was in a horrible situation in Detroit for so many years.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
So, I thought Mantha looked as advertised, the size & skill is there, the motor seems questionable (though one has to reserve judgement until he gets acclimated).

But ultimately, the only thing that really matters is whether Mantha has the extra gears needed in playoffs.. He's pretty clearly has enough talent to coast through regular seasons..

Reactions: Hivemind

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010

... and I could have bought Apple stock a decade ago for less than a tenth of what it costs today. Does that mean it's not worth buying at today's price? idk. Not sure which crystal ball you expect BMac to use but he seems to be making wise decisions overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad