Post-Game Talk: Philly @ The Washington Anthony Manthanys | 7p ET | NBCSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think the first was 100% in there because Mantha is significantly more valuable than Vrana. I can see the second being in there to put the offer over the top and for them to take Panik (who’s overpaid, but, isn’t near the top of the list of worst contracts in the league). I think AM is going to blossom into a near-PPG player here. He was in a horrible situation in Detroit for so many years.

To be fair, that part is not clear. Mantha could end up being better for the Caps, but Vrana could definitely end up being better for another team.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Some may see this as a knee jerk reaction but dude is suddenly playing with elite players in Kuz, Ov and Backstrom.
He could seriously thrive off these guys.
It’s not just playing with elite players. It is playing in a system. The right system for you. And even more important is being part of a winning culture. Every player that comes in (including Chara) talks about the chemistry and the locker room. So put a player in a position where they can shine. I hope 100 games from now we are still saying the same thing.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
So weird that the Caps so many hand-me-downs from their arch-rivals. Orpik, Niskanen, Hagelin, Sheary all former Pens.
You rarely see that in sports.
We send them out too. chandler Stevenson is the top center on a loaded VGK team. Right system for him. Caps weren’t the right fit. It happens. That is why a GM has to be agile and not hold on to his/her mistakes.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know it's the Flyers but I think it's evident Mantha has the better hockey IQ and overall offensive arsenal compared to Vrana. Vrana played at one speed and wasn't much of a passer nor defender. There was a lot of speed and goal-scoring but that was largely it. He didn't even rack up shots this season. Whereas with Mantha you get a player that isn't as fast but fast enough and is much more controlled and effective in all facets. He can play fast or slow, win battles (even if he's not going to crush anyone), pass, shoot and defend. Clearly a one-for-one win in my books, particularly given how that relationship was going. He should feast with Backstrom & Oshie.

The big question is how much he can elevate his game when the time comes and it gets uncomfortable. Seven remaining games against NYI/PIT/BOS and another two against NYR should be good tune-ups.

Having said that I don't doubt Vrana could take off alongside Larkin and getting prime PP time. That could fuel his confidence to another level and elsewhere maybe some of those weaknesses won't be as important. But he'll also have to do it against a lot more prime match-ups and won't be able to lay in the weeds so much.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
To be fair, that part is not clear. Mantha could end up being better for the Caps, but Vrana could definitely end up being better for another team.

As I said yesterday in the trade forum, as a Detroit fan, I don't see why this can't work out for both teams.

You can pass the buck and blame Mantha's surrounding cast in Detroit all you want. He was still disappointing and a source of frustration from the day he arrived. Yet management still believed in him and kept him around.

The talent is there. It's just wondering if he'll ever actually reach it.

Some of the same questions can be posed about Vrana in Washington. Both are now getting a fresh start.

The value of the trade has more to do with Mantha already being locked up and Detroit wisely taking advantage of Washington's cap crunch.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
As I said yesterday in the trade forum, as a Detroit fan, I don't see why this can't work out for both teams.

You can pass the buck and blame Mantha's surrounding cast in Detroit all you want. He was still disappointing and a source of frustration from the day he arrived. Yet management still believed in him and kept him around.

The talent is there. It's just wondering if he'll ever actually reach it.

Some of the same questions can be posed about Vrana in Washington. Both are now getting a fresh start.

The value of the trade has more to do with Mantha already being locked up and Detroit wisely taking advantage of Washington's cap crunch.

The Oshie trade was a win win for both teams in both won SC from that trade.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
We send them out too. chandler Stevenson is the top center on a loaded VGK team. Right system for him. Caps weren’t the right fit. It happens. That is why a GM has to be agile and not hold on to his/her mistakes.
I’m convinced that if Trotz remained coach, or they hired someone that actually valued team defense, that Stephenson would still be here. Good for him for making the most out of his opportunity though.

Reactions: Jags and DWGie26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad