Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
It actually only describes players who can also drive the offense. Doing it at the rate of a third liner doesn't cut it, i.e. scoring 12 goals and racking up secondary assists with two of the best EV scorers.

In any case, what is going on on these boards ? Do people not have any standards ? This is a player who would struggle to put up 40 points if he didn't have the teams two best wingers. He's a valuable player and we should keep him, but why make him out to be something he's not.

On the other hand, he produced 53(?)pts with pretty much 0 PP time, a big % of dzone starts and the toughest matchup you can get.. Not saying that Danault is an offensive Dynamo by any means but lets not underate the season he had last year because he was playing with Gally and Tatar( they are not exactly Ovi and kucherov also)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
ya right, if he wants more than 6M trade him

i like him but not for 7M+, life gets much easier when youre playing with Gally
Why would he take under 6 though? Hes been the tesn 1C for years. Hes got a top 10 selke nom, hes got 50 points seasons, hes supposedly elite defensively... his comparable is gonna be 6m+

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As is usual he has the highest corsi on the team and gets by far the highest number and proportion of Defensive Zone starts of any of our centers. League-wide even he's got excellent defensive statistics - both so far this year, and over the whole year last year.

Oh and he's on pace for 60+ points.
Ive watched every game so far, have you?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
53 points would dictate to me someone who contributes offensively. 7 in 9 to start the year is also evidence. If he hits 60 points this year will you consider him a 200 foot player then?

Laine got 50 points last season,just saying......

Reactions: Tyson

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Holding Gallagher back? No...Gally will play the same no matter who is his center, Galch-Plek-Eller-DD-Danault...doesn't matter. he plays the same, he'll get his goals.
But could KK or Domi benefit from playing with those wingers? Hell ya.
I'd have Gallagher on KK's wing....no question about it.

I think Gallagher gets more than his share of goals playing with Danault, because Phil helps tilt the ice toward the offensive side, and then once there is a great forechecker and puck retriever.

KK and Domi would benefit from having snipers who know how to get open and develop chemistry with their centerman. That's not really Gally, though he would be better with Domi than KK. I would like KK to have either Caufield or Suzuki on his RW, whoever best fits the 1RW role (eventually)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Gallagher gets more than his share of goals playing with Danault, because Phil helps tilt the ice toward the offensive side, and then once there is a great forechecker and puck retriever.

KK and Domi would benefit from having snipers who know how to get open and develop chemistry with their centerman. That's not really Gally, though he would be better with Domi than KK. I would like KK to have either Caufield or Suzuki on his RW, whoever best fits the 1RW role (eventually)
Are you sure he helps tilt the ice? Because hes hemmed in his zone more often than not.

Gallagher is the true ice tilter, and the fact that hes a volume shooter just helps Danault look better than he actually is.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It actually only describes players who can also drive the offense. Doing it at the rate of a third liner doesn't cut it, i.e. scoring 12 goals and racking up secondary assists with two of the best EV scorers.

In any case, what is going on on these boards ? Do people not have any standards ? This is a player who would struggle to put up 40 points if he didn't have the teams two best wingers. He's a valuable player and we should keep him, but why make him out to be something he's not.

No, not "drive" the offence. That is an ELITE 200 foot player. A regular 200 foot player is capable at both ends of the ice, and Danault is that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Are you sure he helps tilt the ice? Because hes hemmed in his zone more often than not.

Gallagher is the true ice tilter, and the fact that hes a volume shooter just helps Danault look better than he actually is.
He is going to get hemmed in now and then. He can't check five guys. Our D has problems at times, and Tatar is not the best at getting the puck out safely. But overall, Danault is on the ice for far more chances for us versus chances for the opponents.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, not "drive" the offence. That is an ELITE 200 foot player. A regular 200 foot player is capable at both ends of the ice, and Danault is that.
He is, but that doesnt make him the habs best 200 foot player.

Gallagher is much better offensively and drives the play more defensively.

Domi is miles and miles ahead offensively but worse defensively, how do you calculate that?

50 points playing 19 minutes a night with the teams best wingers is not something out of the ordinary, weve seen it happen over and over with subpar players. Think DD, Eller, Galchenyuk l, etc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is going to get hemmed in now and then. He can't check five guys. Our D has problems at times, and Tatar is not the best at getting the puck out safely. But overall, Danault is on the ice for far more chances for us versus chances for the opponents.
That last statement is true of any line Gallagher plays on.

Also Danault has made plenty of mistakes this year without the need to put the blame on Tatar.

Last year before febuary, the line was good defensively, since then, its mostly been Gally driving the line hard and the other two being passengers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Meh...I think you're just trying to mold reality to fit your narrative.
Again, Gallagher plays the same game no matter who's the center. Heck, he was pretty much on a 30g pace as a rookie. He was again in 15-16. If what you're saying is true, we should see a bigger difference. Otherwise, 2-3 goals of difference doesn't give your theory much credence.

Reactions: Rapala and dralaf

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Again, Gallagher plays the same game no matter who's the center. Heck, he was pretty much on a 30g pace as a rookie. He was again in 15-16. If what you're saying is true, we should see a bigger difference. Otherwise, 2-3 goals of difference doesn't give your theory much credence.

Well Gallagher got a career high 29 goals at even strenght that's a 7 goal difference with his previous career high two years ago, to me that is significant and more than the double of your 2-3 goals you are claiming it to be, your point is simply not true. He almost got an entire 30 goals playing with danault and you cannot fault Gallagher's usage on the powerplay and his underwhelming results of last year on the PP on danault.

Reactions: dralaf

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's real nonsense for anybody here to be critical of Danault. We got him for nothing. He's our best faceoff man, best defensive forward, best penalty killer and a leader on the team. He's decent offensively. We got him for nothing.
True. He was a steal and I'm glad he's a hab. I just think he's a bit miscast.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
True. He was a steal and I'm glad he's a hab. I just think he's a bit miscast.

The only change I'd consider is switching him and Domi. For the past few games, when our PP ends, Julien puts out Danault, Byron and Lehkonen and they're very effective. That could be a very dependable 3rd line.

But Julien also likes to have Danault, Gally and Tatar match up against the opposition top line and that's why they're usually at 17-20 minutes per game. It's understandable. KK is not ready to play on the top line against the top line with those minutes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What if I told you Gallagher never actually got a decent top 6 center ? DD, Danault, broken down Plekanec... Maybe thats why there's no uptick in production ?

It's real nonsense for anybody here to be critical of Danault. We got him for nothing. He's our best faceoff man, best defensive forward, best penalty killer and a leader on the team. He's decent offensively. We got him for nothing.

Yes, it was a really good trade for sure. But now with that out of the way, I don't see how its related to what he's doing on the ice.

The only change I'd consider is switching him and Domi. For the past few games, when our PP ends, Julien puts out Danault, Byron and Lehkonen and they're very effective. That could be a very dependable 3rd line.

But Julien also likes to have Danault, Gally and Tatar match up against the opposition top line and that's why they're usually at 17-20 minutes per game. It's understandable. KK is not ready to play on the top line against the top line with those minutes.

Kotkaniemi doesn't have to face top lines, because Danault is still on the team... Danautl can still face top lines with Byron and Lekhonen.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The most impressive progression seen these days. From reject to an indispensable center. If we were capable to do it with Danault, there's no valuable reasons that we can't replicate or reproduce that over the others promising players from our pipeline...

Reactions: jaffy27

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I see the term best wingers thrown out a lot with respect to Danault, but it's a pretty meaningless phrase since best doesn't mean great. It's also misleading since heading into last season nobody was saying Tatar was our best winger, the guy was a cap dump. Even 50 games into the season when he showed he's still a good player, our best winger was Drouin. And again this year a case can be made for Drouin being better then Tatar.

At the end of the day Danault's been producing at around the same pace for 4 years, and although you can claim he spent that time with the "best" wingers, let's not pretend that Tatar & Gallagher are as good as Pacioretty & Radulov, or how in 2017-2018 Pacioretty was terrible and was barely a top-6 player. Danault's produced around the same with every combination which shows that he isn't simply leeching points.

That said Danault is a 2nd liner playing a 1st line role. We need an upgrade there if we want to be competitive. Which means he'll either need to move to wing, or get moved.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Not in Montreal,say it a'int so. With KK,Suzuji and RP down the middle at that time,makes him expendable.
When Poehling comes full circle.....Habs could trade Danault. He’s a good player and the return on a multiple 50pt+ player with size that can play that shutdown role would be very very good.

The beauty of a good prospect pool.....now we need to act on it. My gut says it would be an off season move after Poehling shows us he can do it consistently throughout this year.

ideally though, I’d like to see our centres in this order

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Danault

And trade Tatar for help along with prospects and picks. We need that LHD plus a LW with jam....like Benn or Hall, difference makers

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Why would he take under 6 though? Hes been the tesn 1C for years. Hes got a top 10 selke nom, hes got 50 points seasons, hes supposedly elite defensively... his comparable is gonna be 6m+

I get what you're saying now in the context of RDS. I'm not a Montrealer. I don't speak French so I have almost zero concept of what the French media are saying.

Do you think that PD's 'supporters' are just all sheep and victims of demagoguery so you have to 'fight this narrative'?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I get what you're saying now in the context of RDS. I'm not a Montrealer. I don't speak French so I have almost zero concept of what the French media are saying.

Do you think that PD's 'supporters' are just all sheep and victims of demagoguery so you have to 'fight this narrative'?
No, but the great majority can't think for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad