Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is it time to break up the Danault line? Pretty bad game for them last night. If Danault is our shutdown center, why not play him with shutdown wingers? I get how they stuck with what works (somewhat works) but one can only wait for Domi to be a complete 200' center and Kotkaniemi gets to top 2C level sooner rather than later.

Trade Tatar and one of Reilly/Kulak for Leddy and a pick. Call up Poehling

Lets call it 3- 2nd lines and the extra ice time comes on the PP.

Drouin / Kotkaneimi / Armia
Poehling / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Domi / Suzuki
Byron / Thompson / Weal or Cousins

Mete / Weber
Leddy / Petry
Chariot / Fleury

Price

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That would be a lie because I couldnt care for unsustainable production
Your hate for Danault is turning off most posters to where we just ignore it.
Danault is our best 200 foot player and there is no close second.

Reactions: dralaf

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Your hate for Danault is turning off most posters to where we just ignore it.
Danault is our best 200 foot player and there is no close second.

Why are you adding 100 foot ? Has Danault had an actual sustaines season of legitimate offensive production that I'm not aware of ? And before anyone mentions his 12 goals and near league leading secondary assists, no, last year doesn't count as one.

He's a defensive forward who can chip in. Kopitar and Barkov are what you can define as 200 foot forwards.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Hes been lukewarm. Actually really bad defensively so far.

As is usual he has the highest corsi on the team and gets by far the highest number and proportion of Defensive Zone starts of any of our centers. League-wide even he's got excellent defensive statistics - both so far this year, and over the whole year last year.

Oh and he's on pace for 60+ points.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why are you adding 100 foot ? Has Danault had an actual sustaines season of legitimate offensive production that I'm not aware of ? And before anyone mentions his 12 goals and near league leading secondary assists, no, last year doesn't count as one.

He's a defensive forward who can chip in. Kopitar and Barkov are what you can define as 200 foot forwards.

Sure, like 200 foot forwards can only describe the elite of the league, the top half of the first liners.

This is getting old.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

53 points would dictate to me someone who contributes offensively. 7 in 9 to start the year is also evidence. If he hits 60 points this year will you consider him a 200 foot player then?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Last season is not looking like a fluke
4 goals (tied for lead) and 7 pts in 9 games
Why do people try making conclusions so early on....
It's 9 games. Danault is what he is...a good two way player. He is smart defensively and can pot in some points...he should not be centering your best wingers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
53 points would dictate to me someone who contributes offensively. 7 in 9 to start the year is also evidence. If he hits 60 points this year will you consider him a 200 foot player then?
I think the question is more...is what he's doing actually good? Or is it average?
I suspect most top 9 Forwards could produce around 50pts if given the right linemates.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why do people try making conclusions so early on....
It's 9 games. Danault is what he is...a good two way player. He is smart defensively and can pot in some points...he should not be centering your best wingers.
I guess on some teams you would be right, but is it actually holding back Gallagher? From what I see, Gally benefits a lot from the forechecking pressure that Phil exerts. Not all goals have to be based on pretty rushes.

Danault's offensive contributions exist even if they are not based on flashy puck-handling skill. But him being on, say, the second line with Gallagher is not crazy, based on results. Perhaps Caufield or Suzuki are one day the 1RW, playing with a more creative passer?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I guess on some teams you would be right, but is it actually holding back Gallagher? From what I see, Gally benefits a lot from the forechecking pressure that Phil exerts. Not all goals have to be based on pretty rushes.

Danault's offensive contributions exist even if they are not based on flashy puck-handling skill. But him being on, say, the second line with Gallagher is not crazy, based on results. Perhaps Caufield or Suzuki are one day the 1RW, playing with a more creative passer?
Holding Gallagher back? No...Gally will play the same no matter who is his center, Galch-Plek-Eller-DD-Danault...doesn't matter. he plays the same, he'll get his goals.
But could KK or Domi benefit from playing with those wingers? Hell ya.
I'd have Gallagher on KK's wing....no question about it.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sure, like 200 foot forwards can only describe the elite of the league, the top half of the first liners.

This is getting old.

It actually only describes players who can also drive the offense. Doing it at the rate of a third liner doesn't cut it, i.e. scoring 12 goals and racking up secondary assists with two of the best EV scorers.

In any case, what is going on on these boards ? Do people not have any standards ? This is a player who would struggle to put up 40 points if he didn't have the teams two best wingers. He's a valuable player and we should keep him, but why make him out to be something he's not.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
next contract : 7M+ per

Thats exactly why you need to think about trading him in a near future and i love Danault. One of Poehling or Suzuki will be able to replace Danault starting next year in my mind, so you could file a big hole on left D or big scoring winger by packaging Danault, having a good prospect pool will provide you the depth to make moves like that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->