Player Discussion Phillip Danault - You Guys Are Getting Paid? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
No one is untouchable.......we have no one earning their keep right now....Well maybe Toffoli and Anderson but that's it...
By logic, I don't see an interim coach bench a vet like Weber. Ducharme is not Tortoz or Suter. Ducharme is green and is walking on eggs. He wants a long carrer in NHL coaching so I don't expect anything rude with his bunch of veterans.

Reactions: BLONG7

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No one is untouchable.......we have no one earning their keep right now....Well maybe Toffoli and Anderson but that's it...

Not trying to stir the pot here but if CC can do what most think he can do,might make Toffoli expendable and his value must be as high as it ever will be. Habs desperately need a true #1 center and he could be part of package to help get it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not trying to stir the pot here but if CC can do what most think he can do,might make Toffoli expendable and his value must be as high as it ever will be. Habs desperately need a true #1 center and he could be part of package to help get it.
Could get interesting..............but Tatar will be gone next year, so keeping Caufiled and Anderson, and Toffoli might be nice....our young guns will be that much better?

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Could get interesting..............but Tatar will be gone next year, so keeping Caufiled and Anderson, and Toffoli might be nice....our young guns will be that much better?

May not be a popular thing, but I'd rather keep Tatar and package Drouin somehow. I still like PD as a center,good shut down guy and that line does do a more than capable job in both ends. If Habs GM has the balls,he should move the big money out and he's be able to land an Eichel like player,maybe. Not sure which young guys could make the step up, Poehling,Ylonen, RHP on forward is about all perhaps. Brooks on D looks like he could but other than that on D

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Google Phillip Danault and cancer. You'll see tons or articles related to the volunteer works he's done in Montreal and vicious vile attacks on Hfboards calling him a Cancer to the team by one petty keyboard warrior. Such class.

Seems like a really nice guy, he's done an admirable job while in Mtl.

It's not his fault he has had to play 1c but he takes a lot heat for it.

I think he's gone via FA, its his chance to cash in and someone will give him an offer.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Seems like a really nice guy, he's done an admirable job while in Mtl.

It's not his fault he has had to play 1c but he takes a lot heat for it.

I think he's gone via FA, its his chance to cash in and someone will give him an offer.
He'll get a similar contract to what Lowry just received from the Jets. Probably $500-750k per year more imo

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Google Phillip Danault and cancer. You'll see tons or articles related to the volunteer works he's done in Montreal and vicious vile attacks on Hfboards calling him a Cancer to the team by one petty keyboard warrior. Such class.

It's doubly frustrating because even if you ignore all of the outside stuff, he's still almost impossible to replace on the roster. He remains a high-end shutdown center that produces at ES (and doesn't play the PP).

People would care a lot less about him playing a minute more per game 5v5 than Kotkaniemi if Montreal's PP wasn't the most predictable and ineffective thing in the world.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s gonna get 4-5 million on the open market. I would not be surprised if he gets 5.

And because he took less on his last contract, he's already said he's not taking a sub-market discount on this one.

Like with the Subban bridge deal, sometimes low balling RFA's has its consequences.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It's doubly frustrating because even if you ignore all of the outside stuff, he's still almost impossible to replace on the roster. He remains a high-end shutdown center that produces at ES (and doesn't play the PP).

People would care a lot less about him playing a minute more per game 5v5 than Kotkaniemi if Montreal's PP wasn't the most predictable and ineffective thing in the world.

He's a dilemma, if he goes they have to replace him. The just don't have the depth and can't start next year with just NS & KK.

Ideally, he would be used as a 3c which he can really excel at. Unfortunately, he has to play up through no fault of his own. He's done an admirable job in Mtl.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You'll also probably see him throwing Byron and Lekhonen under the bus, refusing to take his spot in the lineup, saying hes worth more than his current contract and that hes not going to take a cheap deal, him saying that he wants to play with Gallagher and Tatar only...

But I guess in Montreal its fine to disrepect teammates in the way that he did last summer.

Phils too good for Byron and Lekhonen.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
And because he took less on his last contract, he's already said he's not taking a sub-market discount on this one.

Like with the Subban bridge deal, sometimes low balling RFA's has its consequences.

Good for him, a guys gotta make his money, careers only last so long.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario

I'm certainly not going to defend his offensive contribution this year. It's on par with KK although he gets no PP time, and doesn't deserve any either. He's playing a bit less this year and KK is playing a bit more but regardless, their offensive contributions aren't good enough, even though it's not the main reason Danault is used.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
This is a message board that PD doesn't even know exists.............so if someone here, says whatever, maybe you have taken it literally? I can tell you PD hasn't.
We should be able to be critics on his performance without name calling, but sometimes posters go there.....something like he played like garbage, is not a literal attack on the player, but the way he has played.
As for me, and your comment, I have worked since I was 13 years old....and presently I am semi retired at 58............no one has ever called my performance a cancer, but if they had, I would have taken the I'll show you route, which would be as literal as you could get.
Agreed. Being critical of his play is one thing and that's fine. I've been critical of his play this year as well. And maybe living on this board and posting continuous daily vile and personal attacks on the player himself is fine as well. To each is own. Maybe he just doesn't have much of life and feels validated by posting here 200 times a day, stooping to vile name calling and personal attacks. To each is own. It's just hockey, a game.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm certainly not going to defend his offensive contribution this year. It's on par with KK although he gets no PP time, and doesn't deserve any either. He's playing a bit less this year and KK is playing a bit more but regardless, their offensive contributions aren't good enough, even though it's not the main reason Danault is used.
Exactly...and everyone knows this, and everyone wants him to stay, but not at any price....he is currently at 3.1M and it makes perfect sense..............he probably could go to 4M and people would be ok with this.
It all comes down to does he want this, and does he like his role......one of the best 3rd line Centre's in the league....who gets used more than ost 3rd line centres, and who definitely gets better linemates....his limited offensive production cold get him a 1-2 yr deal, where he bets on himself...
No matter how we slice it, we almost all want him to stay, but not at any price...

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
He's a dilemma, if he goes they have to replace him. The just don't have the depth and can't start next year with just NS & KK.

Ideally, he would be used as a 3c which he can really excel at. Unfortunately, he has to play up through no fault of his own. He's done an admirable job in Mtl.

It would be VERY hard to replace Danault defensively.

And again, it doesn't really matter if he he's used as he is now or as a "3c".

He's the team's 2nd most used center 5v5 and only plays a minute more than KK. The issue isn't that Danault is getting too much playing time, its that Montreal's point-shot heavy PP sucks. He plays as much 5v5 as a guy like Backlund.

For instance, Suzuki plays more 5v5, against easier competition, generally plays with very good players, and produces at a lesser rate at 5v5. But he's probably Montreal's best PP forward, so its not a big deal.

All of this is affected by how Montreal's D-core is constructed and people on here have been concerned about that trend since the Subban trade.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Agreed. Being critical of his play is one thing and that's fine. I've been critical of his play this year as well. And maybe living on this board and posting continuous daily vile and personal attacks on the player himself is fine as well. To each is own. Maybe he just doesn't have much of life and feels validated by posting here 200 times a day, stooping to vile name calling and personal attacks. To each is own. It's just hockey, a game.

Nailed it, at the end of the day it’s just a game. There are so many other issues to worry about of much more inportance.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Exactly...and everyone knows this, and everyone wants him to stay, but not at any price....he is currently at 3.1M and it makes perfect sense..............he probably could go to 4M and people would be ok with this.
It all comes down to does he want this, and does he like his role......one of the best 3rd line Centre's in the league....who gets used more than ost 3rd line centres, and who definitely gets better linemates....his limited offensive production cold get him a 1-2 yr deal, where he bets on himself...
No matter how we slice it, we almost all want him to stay, but not at any price...
After last year, I thought he'd sign something around 25M for 5 years. But with his offensive limitations and the uncertainty around Covid and cap space, he's likely going to sign elsewhere for something around 13M for 3 years. Contending teams would love to have him centering their 3rd line and facing tough opposition. I could see a number of contenders making offers.

As far as him refusing 25M for 5 years, his agent said that never happened. Fiset says that he presented Pageau's contract as a comparable and that was the end of any discussion with Bergevin - that no offer was made. At the time, I see no problem with presenting Pageau's contract as a comparable and it was Bergevin's right not to offer a contract.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

He's tied for the team lead in 5v5 points. But like with criticisms of KK, I'm personally more angry about how the team is constructed (mostly D) and plays than I am about specific players.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
After last year, I thought he'd sign something around 25M for 5 years. But with his offensive limitations and the uncertainty around Covid and cap space, he's likely going to sign elsewhere for something around 13M for 3 years. Contending teams would love to have him centering their 3rd line and facing tough opposition. I could see a number of contenders making offers.

As far as him refusing 25M for 5 years, his agent said that never happened. Fiset says that he presented Pageau's contract as a comparable and that was the end of any discussion with Bergevin - that no offer was made. At the time, I see no problem with presenting Pageau's contract as a comparable and it was Bergevin's right not to offer a contract.

I’d be ok with signing him to something around 4ish. Then I’d package KK, picks and prospects other than CC or Roma and try to find a legit 1c or at least a very very good 2.

They also need another PMD to help Petry out.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I’d be ok with signing him to something around 4ish. Then I’d package KK, picks and prospects other than CC or Roma and try to find a legit 1c or at least a very very good 2.

They also need another PMD to help Petry out.
I don't think he'll sign here but you never know. He seems like a family man and maybe it'll be a family decision to raise the kids close by to friends and family. I definately wouldn't trade KK though. He's 20, he's improved many of his game and I'm hoping he improves his offensive contribution to at least become a 2C within the next couple of years.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Watch the Habs collapse if he walk away. Suzuki and Kotka lose face offs after face offs. Staal is too old, he's ready to retire. Evans is Evans, a 4th line center. Poehling is a mystery. Who else do we have in Laval? Who will sign as a legit center, we are 1 team among 32 teams with toxic medias (including this board), higher taxes, shitty weather and disfunctional overall team. Oh I sound very negative today, might because the shitty weather, I'd be pleased and warm, if I was in LA, California dreaming, on such a rainy day.

Reactions: Donkeyz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad