Player Discussion Phillip Danault - You Guys Are Getting Paid? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hot takes will hot take. 11 games negates 1 calendar year. Fantastic. Happy he is playing well. We need him. But i dont buy the 11 game hype. Finish the season strong and i will reconsider my position.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Hot takes will hot take. 11 games negates 1 calendar year. Fantastic. Happy he is playing well. We need him. But i dont buy the 11 game hype. Finish the season strong and i will reconsider my position.

Pretty much the way I see it too, and yeah, he plays well and want him back but not at all costs, he's still a middle-6 C who's on a hot streak.

Still, those hyping those 11 games...
tenor.gif

Let's not mention the rest of the season though...
lalalala.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Happy to re-sign Danno. But not at 5 mil.

What does another team offer him? That's the question. I think 3 years at $5M max is the bench mark and he probably gets offered less than $5M AAV with how tight teams will be with the cap this off season. Probably worse than last off season. Sorry Danault, you declined the $5M AAV and it probably gets worse for you now

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Flames fan here coming in peace. I understand that his offensive production is somewhat volatile, but it's not like he's had a bad season by any stretch. maybe he wasn't scoring himself but he still is over 78% Goals For (2nd in the NHL) and over 60% shot attempts when he's on the ice all season, and this all for the 3rd straight season. To me it seems like the 11-game stretch is more of a positive regression towards the mean than a random spike in production. He's consistently around a 40-50-point 5v5 C with little PP time (extremely impressive) and this season is no different. I'm just playing devil's advocate because I love Danault and every time I watch the Habs I'm so impressed by him. He plays such a positional-focused game, almost always the last forward back and makes very good quick decisions on both sides of the puck. I'm not really surprised the production isn't there because of this, but there's still significant value in that imo and those stats more than reflect it

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
What does another team offer him? That's the question. I think 3 years at $5M max is the bench mark and he probably gets offered less than $5M AAV with how tight teams will be with the cap this off season. Probably worse than last off season. Sorry Danault, you declined the $5M AAV and it probably gets worse for you now

Iafallo just signed 4 years at 4M AAV.

He's a 40 pts winger that plays on the PP and with Kopitar. I don't see a world where Danault is not offered 5M AAV on the free agency market.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Danault will get his money (above $5 mill) on the market, so the question is do the Habs offer him more than $5 mill on a long-term deal or not...I wouldn't, but then I don't think any #3C, even an elite one like Danault, is worth that...honestly, they should have either signed him already or traded him at the deadline...he's got the Organization over a barrel...hence why I hate waiting until the last minute to sign players...

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Flames fan here coming in peace. I understand that his offensive production is somewhat volatile, but it's not like he's had a bad season by any stretch. maybe he wasn't scoring himself but he still is over 78% Goals For (2nd in the NHL) and over 60% shot attempts when he's on the ice all season, and this all for the 3rd straight season. To me it seems like the 11-game stretch is more of a positive regression towards the mean than a random spike in production. He's consistently around a 40-50-point 5v5 C with little PP time (extremely impressive) and this season is no different. I'm just playing devil's advocate because I love Danault and every time I watch the Habs I'm so impressed by him. He plays such a positional-focused game, almost always the last forward back and makes very good quick decisions on both sides of the puck. I'm not really surprised the production isn't there because of this, but there's still significant value in that imo and those stats more than reflect it

Stop coming here with reason! It’s not welcomed :sarcasm:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Iafallo just signed 4 years at 4M AAV.

He's a 40 pts winger that plays on the PP and with Kopitar. I don't see a world where Danault is not offered 5M AAV on the free agency market.

there isn’t lol, unless he took a hit in cap preferring term, he’s gunna get his money and as he should. It most likely won’t be here nor do I think it makes sense with two young Cs that we are hoping to be elite

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
there isn’t lol, unless he took a hit in cap preferring term, he’s gunna get his money and as he should. It most likely won’t be here nor do I think it makes sense with two young Cs that we are hoping to be elite

3 years at $5M is his market value in this flat cap. Anybody who can offer more is a rebuilding team he would probably not want to sign with. Reality. If the Habs offer him more term, it gets it done IMO. But $5M is not horrible in this market.

Flat cap means that this offseason will be worse than last off season. Reality

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Happy to re-sign Danno. But not at 5 mil.

Hard to determine what the market is like right now with the covid conditions, but pre pandemic, danault get 5 plus with ease on the market.

You have to think that the lack of cap growth has to work against him though.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
3 years at $5M is his market value in this flat cap. Anybody who can offer more is a rebuilding team he would probably not want to sign with. Reality. If the Habs offer him more term, it gets it done IMO. But $5M is not horrible in this market.

Flat cap means that this offseason will be worse than last off season. Reality

market value is established by what someone is willing to pay for a player, we get to that on both sides by finding comparables.

i do however agree that the Covid cap screws him but like you mentioned as well, I can see him going for term over cap hit.
I am intrigued to see which way he’ll go. He will hold all the cards obiviously

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
market value is established by what someone is willing to pay for a player, we get to that on both sides by finding comparables.

i do however agree that the Covid cap screws him but like you mentioned as well, I can see him going for term over cap hit.
I am intrigued to see which way he’ll go. He will hold all the cards obiviously

Market value is supply and demand yes but Covid Flat cap is also a major factor. It's the 2nd flat cap off season and teams have less cap space now. If some team wants to give Danault $6M AAV for 5 years, Habs will let them! He's a great middle 2C but he's not putting up 60 pts... if he does, he has a lot of help from his wingers.

$5M AAV is the right number. Then term needs to be considered.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Market value is supply and demand yes but Covid Flat cap is also a major factor. It's the 2nd flat cap off season and teams have less cap space now. If some team wants to give Danault $6M AAV for 5 years, Habs will let them! He's a great middle 2C but he's not putting up 60 pts... if he does, he has a lot of help from his wingers.

$5M AAV is the right number. Then term needs to be considered.

sure so I agree 6M is too much for us, but out of curiosity, where are you getting the 5M AAV? Based off what ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I would probably take Lowry over Dan0. Lower your expectations Dan0

I'm fairly confident that the Habs are not out of place by offering $5M AAV max. I don't see too many teams being able to offer that or be willing to. Lots of interest to add a middle 2C like that who plays a great 200' game but GM's are going to be even more stingy with cap space and especially July signing bonus money and that's where the Habs have an advantage.

If Danault wants to get difficult and go after a max deal, I say let him walk. 3-5 years at $5M is not a terrible offer. Habs are being fair there

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
sure so I agree 6M is too much for us, but out of curiosity, where are you getting the 5M AAV? Based off what ?

Based off of what Bergevin already offered him this past off season and also based off limited cap space from across the NHL due to Covid flat cap. Problem we have is Danault thinks he is as valuable as Gallagher and Petry.

I stand firm. Not many teams can and will offer more than $5M AAV in this flat cap. Book mark it and we can circle back when he signs

Reactions: canucklover123

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Based off of what Bergevin already offered him this past off season and also based off limited cap space from across the NHL due to Covid flat cap. Problem we have is Danault thinks he is as valuable as Gallagher and Petry.

I stand firm. Not many teams can and will offer more than $5M AAV in this flat cap. Book mark it and we can circle back when he signs

Sure but someone will, which becomes his value. This is before we get into our diffrent opinions on how good he is. We’ll see lol

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

I would probably take Lowry over Dan0. Lower your expectations Dan0

LOL that’s an amazing contract. Horrible term for Lowry to take on his part. He would be the ideal 3C for the habs.

but let’s not kid ourselves, danault is better than Lowry lol.

this helps danault , 5 years is a lot of term for a 28 YO ish physical player who hasn’t show much production at all

Reactions: 1909

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
LOL that’s an amazing contract. Horrible term for Lowry to take on his part. He would be the ideal 3C for the habs.

but let’s not kid ourselves, danault is better than Lowry lol
I don’t think you watch much of Lowry, and he doesn’t get to play with the top 2 forwards like Dan0. He’s solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->