Player Discussion Phillip Danault - You Guys Are Getting Paid? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This was the guy that I'd be comfortable with as a replacement for Danault. The roles among our centers would have to be adjusted, but he'd do. I now don't see many other alternatives to re-signing Phil.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t think you watch much of Lowry, and he doesn’t get to play with the top 2 forwards like Dan0. He’s solid.

Yeah Lowry is great. Ideal size and two-way ability that you want out of a 3C. Could likely play 2C in a pinch. Jets have 3 good young centres locked up.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I don’t think you watch much of Lowry, and he doesn’t get to play with the top 2 forwards like Dan0. He’s solid.

Lol, I’ve watched a lot of Lowry unfortunately. He is solid. Some guys don’t play in the top two lines because they can’t, not because they were limited to bottom 6. Go read the jets board to form a better opinion if you don’t watch him enough.

he took a contract till 33, thats not at all ideal for Winnipeg. The AAv is fine

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Lol, I’ve watched a lot of Lowry unfortunately. He is solid. Some guys don’t play in the top two lines because they can’t, not because they were limited to bottom 6. Go read the jets board to form a better opinion if you don’t watch him enough.

he took a contract till 33, thats not at all ideal for Winnipeg. The AAv is fine
Locking up Dan0 anything over 4 -4.5 per is gonna be the real LOL.

Reactions: hvac412

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
(Mod)

Literally every fan would take Lowry before Danault, yet Ol phil thinks hes worth almost twice as much. Gotta love it.

#NOTMYFIRSTLINECENTER

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Habs178

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
5 years x 3.5. He’s not 40. I’m talking about the AAV

Ok lol, you said Lowry is a great contract at 3.5 per... you also said Danault at 4 plus is “LOL”.

So il humor you, one contract is great and another at 4 plus is LOL. Difference being 0.5 mil. now what does Lowry statistically do better than danault for you to make the assertion of “LOL”.
This is before we even consider one is a hulkin 6’5 center at 28, cause they always age nicely

Makes you think eh

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Un vrai cancer.

Literally every fan would take Lowry before Danault, yet Ol phil thinks hes worth almost twice as much. Gotta love it.

#NOTMYFIRSTLINECENTER

Imagine Caufield next to Danault

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Ok lol, you said Lowry is a great contract at 3.5 per... you also said Danault at 4 plus is “LOL”.

So il humor you, one contract is great and another at 4 plus is LOL. Difference being 0.5 mil. now what does Lowry statistically do better than danault for you to make the assertion of “LOL”.
This is before we even consider one is a hulkin 6’5 center at 28, cause they always age nicely

Makes you think eh
You say lol every sentence I can’t even respond anymore...lol.

Reactions: canucklover123

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What does another team offer him? That's the question. I think 3 years at $5M max is the bench mark and he probably gets offered less than $5M AAV with how tight teams will be with the cap this off season. Probably worse than last off season. Sorry Danault, you declined the $5M AAV and it probably gets worse for you now

The Jackets would offer him a lot more than that. They've got wings and they've got D, with a big problem at center ice. They have the cap space to fix it. Danault is the best 5v5 center on the market. He'll get paid, my guess is $5.5m x 6.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Jackets would offer him a lot more than that. They've got wings and they've got D, with a big problem at center ice. They have the cap space to fix it. Danault is the best 5v5 center on the market. He'll get paid, my guess is $5.5m x 6.
He wont get that from the Habs....he would look good with the Jackets.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I'm fairly confident that the Habs are not out of place by offering $5M AAV max. I don't see too many teams being able to offer that or be willing to. Lots of interest to add a middle 2C like that who plays a great 200' game but GM's are going to be even more stingy with cap space and especially July signing bonus money and that's where the Habs have an advantage.

If Danault wants to get difficult and go after a max deal, I say let him walk. 3-5 years at $5M is not a terrible offer. Habs are being fair there
Avs fan coming in peace, I haven't seen Danault play that much but have been impressed by his overall game. I like him better than our current 2C Kadri but maybe I just haven't seen enough habs games and have seen Kadri's flaws a little too much. I could see the Avs taking a swing if he makes it to free agency depending on what happens in the expansion draft, also depends on how Kadri does in the playoffs as he seems to play up. Also Seattle will probably have interest as there won't be a whole lot of high end centers available to them and they will have plenty of cap to do an above market deal for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Avs fan coming in peace, I haven't seen Danault play that much but have been impressed by his overall game. I like him better than our current 2C Kadri but maybe I just haven't seen enough habs games and have seen Kadri's flaws a little too much. I could see the Avs taking a swing if he makes it to free agency depending on what happens in the expansion draft, also depends on how Kadri does in the playoffs as he seems to play up. Also Seattle will probably have interest as there won't be a whole lot of high end centers available to them and they will have plenty of cap to do an above market deal for him.

There will be interest no doubt. The question is will a team offer more than $5M AAV? 3-5 year range. He turned down a 5 year at $5M AAV this past off season (rumored reports)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There will be interest no doubt. The question is will a team offer more than $5M AAV? 3-5 year range. He turned down a 5 year at $5M AAV this past off season (rumored reports)
I read something about that, he did not turn that deal down, this was the deal his agent presented to MB, and there have been zero discussions since....
That being said, there are so many stories about 5Mill Phil's wants, so who knows....
Really want Phil to stay with the club, but his hit should be somewhere around 4M or so....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I read something about that, he did not turn that deal down, this was the deal his agent presented to MB, and there have been zero discussions since....
That being said, there are so many stories about 5Mill Phil's wants, so who knows....
Really want Phil to stay with the club, but his hit should be somewhere around 4M or so....

I think $4.5M - $5M range is a good range. I'd go $5M for 5 years easily cause that fits for when the cap starts rising again and for when Weber retires and also overlaps bridge deals to KK and Suzuki.

If we lower term, I'd offer 3 years at $4.75M.

However, I think he will ask for $5.5M to match Drouin at least. We will see how this goes down and how much he really wants to be a Habs

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think $4.5M - $5M range is a good range. I'd go $5M for 5 years easily cause that fits for when the cap starts rising again and for when Weber retires and also overlaps bridge deals to KK and Suzuki.

If we lower term, I'd offer 3 years at $4.75M.

However, I think he will ask for $5.5M to match Drouin at least. We will see how this goes down and how much he really wants to be a Habs
If they could rid themselves of Drouin, keeping Phil would be easy then............

Reactions: Andrei79

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If Danault keeps Gallagher on his wing, he really can't think of himself as being regarded as a D only guy.

I think $5M -$5.25M for him , 4/5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad