Player Discussion Phillip Danault - You Guys Are Getting Paid? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watch the Habs collapse if he walk away. Suzuki and Kotka lose face offs after face offs. Staal is too old, he's ready to retire. Evans is Evans, a 4th line center. Poehling is a mystery. Who else do we have in Laval? Who will sign as a legit center, we are 1 team among 32 teams with toxic medias (including this board), higher taxes, shitty weather and disfunctional overall team. Oh I sound very negative today, might because the shitty weather, I'd be pleased and warm, if I was in LA, California dreaming, on such a rainy day.
The habs have been collapsed ever since Subban left this team, it cannot go any lower lol.

It wouldve been 6 years in a row without POs in a normal world, your post is a false dilemma.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The habs have been collapsed ever since Subban left this team, it cannot go any lower lol.

It wouldve been 6 years in a row without POs in a normal world, your post is a false dilemma.
If my memory is good, you wrote Subban was horrible in his own zone and it was so bad for Price and his confidence. Subban did the worst turnovers and never seem to change his bad habbits, until he was in Nashville. I think you wrote that. And anyway, what is the link with the weak center line we have since two decades? Subban isn't a center, he's a defenseman.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If my memory is good, you wrote Subban was horrible in his own zone and it was so bad for Price and his confidence. Subban did the worst turnovers and never seem to change his bad habbits, until he was in Nashville. I think you wrote that. And anyway, what is the link with the weak center line we have since two decades? Subban isn't a center, he's a defenseman.
No, I did not write that. Subban made boneheaded plays at times, like all high risk players, but he was an excellent defender and actually cared for the team, unlike some others that mostly care for their careers and not winning.

It was just a timeline, they have stopped winning every since Subban left and Danault came in as top center, its not a reflection on anything else but the state of the team, which is pathetic. You trying to create a dilemma between losing with Danault and losing without Danault is a fallacy.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Suzuki/Kotkaniemi still being young and inconsistent and Poehling/Evans potential unknown, I personally think he's someone we should be keeping around. He recently just turned 28, so if our young centres do push him out in a couple years it wouldn't be too hard to trade a 30 year old with 2-3 years left on his deal.

Should he walk, the UFA group of centres is pretty bad and our assets would be better used to improve the mobility of our D.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
OthOTE="Mrb1p, post: 177681290, member: 142887"]If by collapsed you mean go to the SCF, finish 2nd in conn smythe voting, finish 2nd in norris voting and get nominated to an AS 2, I guess he does suck.[/QUOTE]
Lol. He was on great team why. Watched Devils other night. He is terrible

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Imagine Danault want a Coyle type contract?

His agent brought up Pageau’s contract as a comparable (6 years at $5 million AAV). That was signed the month before Covid shut the NHL down.

With Lowry now signing at 5 years at $3.25 million AAV (post Covid) I think the Habs will use that as a comparable.

So my best guess is he signs for somewhere in the middle. 5 years at 4-4.5 million AAV.

It’s also worth noting that only two forwards, since Covid shutdown the NHL, have signed deals that were 6 years or longer in the NHL. Those two players are Gallagher and Anderson.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Good defensively but still contributes nothing offensively.

Not sure what that's worth contract wise, but it probably ain't what he's looking for.

Reactions: Andrei79

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
If by collapsed you mean go to the SCF, finish 2nd in conn smythe voting, finish 2nd in norris voting and get nominated to an AS 2, I guess he does suck.
Forgive him, he is wearing goggles supplied by the great magician Marc Bergevin.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd sign Krejci or RNH at this point instead of Danault. We're already forcing KK into a shutdown role, he'll excel at it even though we're destroying his potential. A bunch of UFAs are available who would have more realistic term expectations than Danault. Danault wanting to remain a top 6 player is pretty much destroying his value; cause he ain't in the top 6 on a contender.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
“A really good player, he does everything well,” conceded Matthews. “A pretty under-rated guy in my opinion as two-way centres go in the NHL.”

Hmm... who to believe? A keyboard warrior who plays with Pokemans with hundreds of posts viciously bashing Danault, calling him a Cancer or the top goal scorer in the league.

Tough call. Maybe I'll believe Nathan Mackinnon's opinion of Danault “I think Phillip Danault is an underrated guy. He hasn’t had the recognition of getting a Selke Trophy yet, but he’s such a good center player. It is in my case every time we play against Montreal, whether we are at home or abroad. ”

Reactions: canucklover123

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
“A really good player, he does everything well,” conceded Matthews. “A pretty under-rated guy in my opinion as two-way centres go in the NHL.”

Hmm... who to believe? A keyboard warrior who plays with Pokemans with hundreds of posts viciously bashing Danault, calling him a Cancer or the top goal scorer in the league.

Tough call. Maybe I'll believe Nathan Mackinnon's opinion of Danault “I think Phillip Danault is an underrated guy. He hasn’t had the recognition of getting a Selke Trophy yet, but he’s such a good center player. It is in my case every time we play against Montreal, whether we are at home or abroad. ”

Unlike them, we watch every game of the Habs, not that we can't be wrong. In what world Danault does everything well ? He can't shot, his passing is above average at best, he has no creativity in his game, he has stone hands... He needs to be stapled to two good wingers to produce something offensively.

Two-way centre ? Use your eyes and watch the games by yourself, instead of relying on players who use cliché to describe each other, because they don't have time to watch games.

He's a pain in the ass defensively, a good #3C, nothing more.

You put this guy with average wingers, like other 3rd liners and he won't even reach 40 points.

Reactions: BLONG7

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
He can find a place somewhere to have his money and being useful. Then Gallagher will get upset and the leadership will be in trouble. I expect an internal war if Gally is upset. Bad times are coming, some wasted years again.

Gallagher survived the Pacioretty trade, he will survive Danault's departure. Brendan can play with any centre, that's why he was able to produce with Danault, a #3C.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

All of the NHL players are polite enough to blow smoke wherever needed. We all know Phil is one of the very best 3rd line centres, he has the numbers to pretty much back it up. This season hasn't gone great for him, but he can help change that with a big playoffs!! He gets the shutdown duties, and does it very very well.

Reactions: Naslund

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

Tough call. Maybe I'll believe Nathan Mackinnon's opinion of Danault “I think Phillip Danault is an underrated guy. He hasn’t had the recognition of getting a Selke Trophy yet, but he’s such a good center player. It is in my case every time we play against Montreal, whether we are at home or abroad.

It's like Nathan Mackinnon has a hidden agenda to mention Danault, the centre he sees what twice a year every year when asked for a opinion. Not like he coulda mentioned 60 other top 6 centers

Unless he owes him for something we don't know about lol, must be the reason

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Let him walk. We have four young centers that are either currently better than him or have the potential to be. His minutes need to be given to the young Cs to develop. I'm saying this and I'm a fan of Danault.

Reactions: Habit11

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I still cant budge off of 4.5 Phil im sorry
and for 4 years max.

Theres absolutely no way Bergevin doesnt use Toffolis 28 goals (and counting) for 4.25 against him

Especially with Evans and Poehling in the mix now, Especially Evans , hes proven during the PK he can be that gritty defensive C too

All Phil really has going for him honestly is face offs.. which is super key of course but.. that cant add a couple mill to your salary...

Reactions: habdynasty

WG

Sep 9, 2008
His agent brought up Pageau’s contract as a comparable (6 years at $5 million AAV). That was signed the month before Covid shut the NHL down.

With Lowry now signing at 5 years at $3.25 million AAV (post Covid) I think the Habs will use that as a comparable.

So my best guess is he signs for somewhere in the middle. 5 years at 4-4.5 million AAV.

It’s also worth noting that only two forwards, since Covid shutdown the NHL, have signed deals that were 6 years or longer in the NHL. Those two players are Gallagher and Anderson.
Lowry's contact matches what Eller got as an extension from Washington a couple of years back. Not just because they both played here but Eller and PD are pretty decent comparables. Not sure you couldn't point to these two deals and say that's what a checking 3C who chips in 0.5 PPG of offense is worth. Given Danault's elevated role on the Habs, you can split the difference between this level and the 5M AAV previously discussed, and have a deal in the 4-4.25 range which is probably fair for all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad