Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Danault is perfect for MTL. QC and have big impact. Underrated player no doubt about that, 5 millions per year is sound good to me. (If Drouin and Anderson can reach 5.5, Danault can reach 5)
Well he’s a center so theoretically yes; no goals ever is not great. I appreciate the player but not the brand of hockey. If we can have Suzuki go head to head most nights against the best eventually and not have to rely on anti-hockey I would love what he brings as an option on a more mature / talented team. Edit - I think he is worth more today to the habs than down the line. Dbl edit - I would offer more for shorter term.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Man I'm seeing it here, on reddit, and on every other form of Habs media. Are you really willing to pay 5 mil+ for a guy who's at best a 3C with strong defensive capabilities and will likely be a 30 point guy without the favourable ice time he's got the last 4 years? Every forward with more than 9 GP in the playoffs is outscoring him. He is contributing nothing offensively. Defensive players don't get paid.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Man I'm seeing it here, on reddit, and on every other form of Habs media. Are you really willing to pay 5 mil+ for a guy who's at best a 3C with strong defensive capabilities and will likely be a 30 point guy without the favourable ice time he's got the last 4 years? Every forward with more than 9 GP in the playoffs is outscoring him. He is contributing nothing offensively. Defensive players don't get paid.

it is pretty concerning how his ability to contribute anything offensively has seemingly dried up completely...

i get that he's hyper focused on the assignment, and that gally is playing hurt/not effective, and that lekhonen isn't an offensive catalyst... but wow, for the ice time he gets, to be that unproductive is something else.

and he doesn't look good in the ozone... rarely is putting any real pressure on the opposing d (whereas at least lek/gally are buzzing around the crease/in the corners and putting some pucks on the net).

i was all for a ~5M multi-year extension, but hard to see us justifying that at this point... maybe on a 2-3 year deal with the thinking that it offsets the JKO bridge deal that's coming and knowing that Evans QO is very low the year after that...

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
it is pretty concerning how his ability to contribute anything offensively has seemingly dried up completely...

i get that he's hyper focused on the assignment, and that gally is playing hurt/not effective, and that lekhonen isn't an offensive catalyst... but wow, for the ice time he gets, to be that unproductive is something else.

and he doesn't look good in the ozone... rarely is putting any real pressure on the opposing d (whereas at least lek/gally are buzzing around the crease/in the corners and putting some pucks on the net).

i was all for a ~5M multi-year extension, but hard to see us justifying that at this point... maybe on a 2-3 year deal with the thinking that it offsets the JKO bridge deal that's coming and knowing that Evans QO is very low the year after that...
He’s doing exactly what is asked of him and doing it exceptionally well. I don’t understand these takes tbh. I’m thankful we have him for this run, I don’t think we’re here without him, but he’s not flashy and not an offensive catalyst. We all know this already.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
He was groomed before Pleky left to take on the Defensive role. Points would be nice but he’s played his role perfectly. Don’t think we get passed Toronto without him shutting down Matthew’s

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He's doing it again. Stone and Pacioretty have one point this series (Pacioretty had an assist on that Pietrangelo goal).
Yeah agreed, part of me after this run can’t see him anywhere else. The only other thing though is it doesn’t seem like anyone even talks about him as a UFA? Maybe it’s just English media but I wonder if it’s a not so poorly held secret that the team and him have come to an agreement that will come out post expansion?

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
He's doing it again. Stone and Pacioretty have one point this series (Pacioretty had an assist on that Pietrangelo goal).

didn’t notice “big bad” tuch last night much either.

according to Pierre, tuch sounds like the second coming of lindros lol

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Every forward with more than 9 GP in the playoffs is outscoring him. He is contributing nothing offensively. Defensive players don't get paid.

I know exactly what you are saying. And you are right, defensive players don't get paid. But Danault has been making me question this -- not that I want the Habs to have to pay more -- but just reflecting on how valuable is a defensive player like Danault in reality. In a perfect world maybe they make more than some offensive players. I mean Price hasn't scored lately, either. We pay him pretty well, and rightly so.

But it's something that is still hard to measure in spite of stats. Because it is much easier to say Price robbed someone of a goal than to say Danault did, because you never know if any given play he breaks up will end in a scoring chance. It's easier to see the direct impact of an offensive player's goal or a goalie's save. Honestly though, I think Danault is very valuable.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
didn’t notice “big bad” tuch last night much either.

according to Pierre, tuch sounds like the second coming of lindros lol

Overloading Tuch on that first line was clearly a mistake. Basically sucks up all their offensive power and enables Danault to shut down all three of them at once. Not to mention Tuch does not compliment Stone well at all, and him and Pacioretty play similar styles of game (effective off the rush and on outlet passes).

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
4 years max up to 5.5m. Just get it done, are team will take serious steps back without him

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
4 years max up to 5.5m. Just get it done, are team will take serious steps back without him
I hate being a buzzkill at such a joyous time, but we're 100% taking steps back next year even if we go out and get Jones or Eichel. We've had a very fortuitous string of opposing team injuries/suspensions that have allowed us within 2 wins of a finals appearance. I honestly, truly, humbly, and sincerely wouldn't expect us to make it out of the second round next year, if we even make the playoffs.

Obviously that could change, but with losing Tatar's money, possibly Drouin, and maybe someone else to the expansion draft, we have the room to sign Phil to a fair contract. I am reluctant to give him term or money, but would much rather give money with short term than the other way around. I don't think he's got a spot here 4 years down the road, but I've been wrong before.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I hate being a buzzkill at such a joyous time, but we're 100% taking steps back next year even if we go out and get Jones or Eichel. We've had a very fortuitous string of opposing team injuries/suspensions that have allowed us within 2 wins of a finals appearance. I honestly, truly, humbly, and sincerely wouldn't expect us to make it out of the second round next year, if we even make the playoffs.

Obviously that could change, but with losing Tatar's money, possibly Drouin, and maybe someone else to the expansion draft, we have the room to sign Phil to a fair contract. I am reluctant to give him term or money, but would much rather give money with short term than the other way around. I don't think he's got a spot here 4 years down the road, but I've been wrong before.
It’s a fair assessment, but I disagree. Leafs will be worse, sens IMO are still garbage, wings are trash as well . Panthers are my 2nd favourite team but they desperately need a D.

the key pieces for the habs will keep getting better, while price will always be price. This team needs a impact D that can transition. Other than that, i still see a playoff team.
Remember since Tavares left people have been saying the islanders would take steps back. And it never happened

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Guy Carbonneau's impact... Now, is that worth 5mil+ in a cap world ? Suzuki and KK won't make peanuts in a few years...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I honestly just don't care about his offensive production right now. Shut down the opposition and I'm happy.
True............that being said, he is making 3.1M and that's fine..............if he was making 5M season or playoffs, make no bones about it, people would want him shot, or traded.....
We all know, Phil is a shutdown type of C who can't drive the offense...he can't make too much money on a flat cap....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Danault is the ultimate team player. He has given up on offense to shut down the opposing teams best players. That's commitment for a guy who CAN produce offense. Danault has OCD when it comes to attention to detail in the D-zone. He will never cheat to score a goal.

Re-sign the man. Pay the man his money!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

nf-iRj

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
He isn't going anywhere - Bergevin is the reason he was drafted by Chicago, and he specifically went out and acquired him years ago for that very reason. He is a black hole for offense (both our own, and the other teams) but he is keeping the most talented players in the world off the board - Danault is a playoff player.

Reactions: canucklover123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad