Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
i've got mixed feelings toward Danault. i know he got 40 pts with mostly no PP time. But how much point would any 4th liner got playing 1st line minute with Radulov and Pacioretty. Let's say Mitchell. How many points do you guys think he would have got with the same icetime/teammates?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
i've got mixed feelings toward Danault. i know he got 40 pts with mostly no PP time. But how much point would any 4th liner got playing 1st line minute with Radulov and Pacioretty. Let's say Mitchell. How many points do you guys think he would have got with the same icetime/teammates?

30-35pts. Danault is a better player than Mitchell but its still too early to call him a top 6 player.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Why do you only look at stats?

By looking at Danault and Mitchell play, you can easily tell Danault is a lot better.

Danault is a good skater, he's explosive, he has an accurate shot, he's a smart player, very good defensively, he is also able to do some sweet passes, he's good along the boards, etc.

Danault will never be a real number 1 center, but he absolutely has 2nd line potential.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I still think if we can somehow get a second winger as good as Radulov, we'll be fine offensively.

It was just too easy to shut down the Pacioretty-Radulov duo. We need a second threat, whether it's from a center or a winger playing with Chucky.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
I still think if we can somehow get a second winger as good as Radulov, we'll be fine offensively.

This team needs a legitimate center. You can add all the wingers you want, you still won't go far with Danault centering your top line.

I never felt comfortable with the team entering the playoffs with Danault as the 1st line center. It was a recipe for disaster offensively and it showed. Danault is best centering a 3rd line and playing with players like Shaw.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
PD isnt a top 6 center. If management has decided Chucky is a winger we need two top 6 centers and need to trade one of Patches or Chucky to get one.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Why do you only look at stats?

By looking at Danault and Mitchell play, you can easily tell Danault is a lot better.

Danault is a good skater, he's explosive, he has an accurate shot, he's a smart player, very good defensively, he is also able to do some sweet passes, he's good along the boards, etc.

Danault will never be a real number 1 center, but he absolutely has 2nd line potential.

Why i look at points? To evaluate a player (esp. top6), points are important. I know that Danault is better than Mitchell. It's just that i think that to evaluate him offensively (for a 2C) you have to look at what a marginal player would get with his icetime/teammmates. If you think that Ott/Mitchell/Flynn would get 30-35 points in that situation, that means Danault overachieve by 5-10 points... not 2C material at all...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He was horrible in the playoffs. Between him and Chucky I'd rather trade him, he's close to his ceiling. Overrated player, maybe we can sell-high on him.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
He was horrible in the playoffs. Between him and Chucky I'd rather trade him, he's close to his ceiling. Overrated player, maybe we can sell-high on him.

Forget about top 6 centres, we still need a #3C assuming Plek goes to LV. We can't trade either Danault nor Galchenyuk lol.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm all good with keeping Danault. I think he'd be a fine 3C. I just hope MB pays him as one when his ELC is done next season and not pay him as a 1C or 2C.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

If you play Mitchell with Patch and Radu for ~50 games and the rest of the season on a 3rd line he'll do 30-35 points. People got to realize that 40-50 points with that quality of wingers is nothing special. This is one of the best duo of wingers in the league.

It's DD all over again and it sadden me. It sadden me cause DD did not deserve what he got and neither will Danault. People need to stop blaming the players and start blaming the management. It's ALL on the management. ALL of it.

Back then me and many others said if you reduce DD TOI and give him 3rd line quality wingers he'll not do much better than Eller. I think history proved us right. It's the same for Danault. Anyone who think Danault will do 40 points on a 3rd line playing with 3rd line wingers is out for lunch. On a 3rd line he is (for now) a 25-30 points player at the very best.

I like Danault. He has been a nice surprise. But if you remove the surprise factor the reality is as a 1st line center he's been bad. Terribad. Awful. 40 points in the regular season and 2 assists in 6 playoffs game with this quality of wingers is just downright awful. It's not his fault. Like i said it's all on the management. All of it.

Last edited:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

Danault wasn't as horrible as Galchenyuk has been for a while now. Danault was put in a situation where he couldn't succeed in the Playoffs. He isn't a no.1 center. And Galchenyuk isn't either. We're ****ed. Fire MB for his incompetency. He blames Beaulieu and Galchenyuk for not delivering yet fails at acknowledging that he didn't do enough. In yesterday's interview he said that NO centers were available, but we're all aware that the Avs were sellers, yet MB couldn't make a deal because he's a bad negociator. Habs are snakebitten offensively because they haven't drafted quality NHLers with their top pick consistently. He admitted there is NO centers down the pipeline, ready to jump in. The biggest hole this club has and he has no answer for that. He was annoyed at reporters hammering the center position but he needs to get held accountable. Galchenyuk is a top6 complimentary winger (for a top3 pick that is bad), McCarron is a 4th liner not much upside offensively, a wannabe Bryan Boyle, Sherbak might not even be an NHLer ever, he's been that bad, Juulsen seems to have top4 potential but still a long way, Sergachev might pan out but he's still raw. I'd say his drafting track record has been quite ordinary. Some heads need to roll.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He could be... but playoffs often tend to show where a player should be on the depth chart in order for the team to have success. And Danault was arguably our weakest performer.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I just want everyone who was pumping Danault's tires to take a look at his performance. He was worse than Chucky.

Kid's extremely overrated.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just want everyone who was pumping Danault's tires to take a look at his performance. He was worse than Chucky.

Kid's extremely overrated.

....Well, being overrated or underrated means squat. I can say that Danault is as good as Crosby, and I can also say that Torrey Mitchell is the exact same player as Johann Witehall. That would make Danault overrated and Mitchell underrated, but that wouldn't mean Danault is not the better player between both.

And, well, he had bad playoffs, significantly worse than he should've had. He's not the only one in that situation, mind you.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And besides, why exactly would we trade Danault? He shouldn't quite be in the spot he was, but it doesn't mean he cannot be used elsewhere, especially since he's on a cheap deal (and the pieces we're in need of won't be on cheap deals),.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
....Well, being overrated or underrated means squat. I can say that Danault is as good as Crosby, and I can also say that Torrey Mitchell is the exact same player as Johann Witehall. That would make Danault overrated and Mitchell underrated, but that wouldn't mean Danault is not the better player between both.

And, well, he had bad playoffs, significantly worse than he should've had. He's not the only one in that situation, mind you.

And besides, why exactly would we trade Danault? He shouldn't quite be in the spot he was, but it doesn't mean he cannot be used elsewhere, especially since he's on a cheap deal (and the pieces we're in need of won't be on cheap deals),.
He's overrated in that we can sell-high and get better assets in return.

I don't particularly want to trade him but if you had to 'send a message' and trade underperformers, I'd trade this disappearing act over the much more talented Galchenyuk.

Where are his fans? They were leading the light brigade just a few weeks ago!

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
He's overrated in that we can sell-high and get better assets in return.

I don't particularly want to trade him but if you had to 'send a message' and trade underperformers, I'd trade this disappearing act over the much more talented Galchenyuk.

Where are his fans? They were leading the light brigade just a few weeks ago!

+
So you want to send a message by trading a kid that was in the wrong chair all season long,played his heart out every night and did a decent job even if he shoud have never been put in that situation!!??

And why are you picking on the people who like him!!?? What do you want to achieve there beside trolling!!??

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

people here want him gone because of lanuage. 100 percent.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
+
So you want to send a message by trading a kid that was in the wrong chair all season long,played his heart out every night and did a decent job even if he shoud have never been put in that situation!!??

And why are you picking on the people who like him!!?? What do you want to achieve there beside trolling!!??
He didn't play his heart out. He was putrid in the playoffs. And he was given good linemates. He didn't produce, he didn't play hard, he didn't focus. He wasted his opportunity with Radulov and Pacioretty. Why do you make up a narrative? You like the kid, good for you - you can't get to say he played his heart out because he didn't. He was brutal - not even invisible.

Enough's enough - he busted out of Chicago, he's extremely overrated here. Maybe we can trade him and get someone with actual heart and effort back. But knowing this organisation this kid's gonna be the next Desharnais. A misfit in a major role.

people here want him gone because of lanuage. 100 percent.
:facepalm:

If this organisation whet full French I'd support them.

Only draft Quebeckers/French Canadians while continuing to sign and trade as you'd normally do (no restrictions). Stock the farm with them and give it an honest go as you development. I'd 100% support them.
Excuse me for not wanting mercenaries like Weber and overrated nobodies like Danault stinking up the Habs. :rolleyes:

Do you have any criticism or argument to put forth or will you just cry racist every time someone points out issues with this team?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Andrew Shaw in the past six playoff years ahs been one of Chicago's four best forwards..I have a feeling he's going to be fine at center..Danault..made for the playoffs...Plekanec Ott and <itchell? wily competitive vets. I don't think it's as big an issue as some are stating. Shaw is a playoff dynamo..stay tuned and watch..his ppg ALWAYS go up.

So the guy who has played first-line center on a 100+ point team for 80 per cent of the season and who just turned 24..so has in fact not even entered his prime yet...is a 3C and that's it..because to say otherwise ..would go against your latest lament about the Habs never drafting or trading, for a top two center. You said it...so it must be fact forever more..never mind the logic and nightly proof that Danault can handle a top-two center role ALREADY..that would mean you are wrong....so we must accept the "alternative fact" that since you say "Yes a 3C" with no explanation or reasoning besides your blessed evaluation skills..that that's all Danault will ever be. Should we pass the memo on to Julien and Bergevin? I have a feeling they may think otherwise...but hey..they're garbage anyway...clueless.

Never mind that his 40 points puts him in the top 60 points-wise for NHL centers while providing one of the most competitive, intelligent two-way games in the league while still not being in his prime...he's a third liner forever..because you, WTK, states as much. Case closed.

Besides...Habs don't have to worry about a top-two center...got one down on the farm fight now who will be one - de la Rose. There...I'm sure that will get ignored.
Ha ha!
Love having professionals on HF Boards, their valuable insight is immeasurable.

Soon we'll hear how Galchenyuk was late for practice not 18, but 19 times ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad