Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This. Or else, they're really awful at evaluating hockey players.
Easy to cry racism when you can't spin any way to justify a 2 point, no goals losing series from a 24 year old "one of the most competitive two way centres in the league". If Chucky is on the trade block, I don't see why Danault should get off scot-free. Danault actually played on the top lines and stunk it up, Chucky played with 4th liners.

We'll get less of a return for Danault but at least it'll be a net-gain, not a net-loss compare to selling Chucky.

:facepalm:

For the record, I've said it many times but I support a 'French' Habs 100%. I do not support a mediocre Habs.

Danault is mediocre. With all the ice-time and wingers you can reasonably ask for, he mustered not even 0.5ppg. He's 24, he's not gonna suddenly get better. Sell high.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Easy to cry racism when you can't spin any way to justify a 2 point, no goals losing series from a 24 year old "one of the most competitive two way centres in the league". If Chucky is on the trade block, I don't see why Danault should get off scot-free. Danault actually played on the top lines and stunk it up, Chucky played with 4th liners.

We'll get less of a return for Danault but at least it'll be a net-gain, not a net-loss compare to selling Chucky.

For the record, I've said it many times but I support a 'French' Habs 100%. I do not support a mediocre Habs.

Danault is mediocre. With all the ice-time and wingers you can reasonably ask for, he mustered not even 0.5ppg. He's 24, he's not gonna suddenly get better. Sell high.

Suddenly, the whole lack of PP play is irrelevant.
Cute.
If it wasn't pathetic.
And we all know it's something worst than pathetism or lack of understanding of the game, though those late traits are playing a role.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Suddenly, the whole lack of PP play is irrelevant.
Cute.
If it wasn't pathetic.
And we all know it's something worst than pathetism or lack of understanding of the game, though those late traits are playing a role.
Man I didn't know what our PP lines were if not a jumbled mess. Did he really not get PP time? Poor guy. He would've been so useful on our PP. Just the missing piece we needed... 'one of the most competitive two way centres in the league' I wonder why Muller and Julien didn't play him on the PP? :laugh:

You guys overrate Danault at your own peril. Well, at our peril. We lost the series in most part because our Cs were atrocious going forward. Danault played a major role - where is the criticism? 19 min in game5, 17:31 in game6... 2 shots, no points, even +/-. So much for his competitive streak, eh?

Don't hang your hat on mediocre players.

edit: I find it bizarre to imply I have an agenda here. What agenda could I possibly have regarding this guy? He's not a controversial player at all. He's just extremely overrated and full of himself. He didn't show up to play and after this unfulfilling playoffs I would absolutely include him in a package for a better player while there's still some hype around him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Julien actually out Galchenyuk back on the first line when there were ten minutes left in the series.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Julien actually out Galchenyuk back on the first line when there were ten minutes left in the series.
If Danault's tires weren't about to burst from all the pumping and congratulating, maybe we would've won the series with Chucky in a more appropriate role.

We lost the series by a razor's edge.

So folks, don't mad at me if I'm pointing questions at the 2-point, 0-goals, -1 boy wonder over-here. Half of you are mad at Carey Price for not 'stealing' more games despite his 1,88 0,930 stats. INSANITY.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

And that was the right thing to do considering Plekanec was doing sortof well with his wingers and that Danault was going nowhere fast.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Man I didn't know what our PP lines were if not a jumbled mess. Did he really not get PP time? Poor guy. He would've been so useful on our PP. Just the missing piece we needed... 'one of the most competitive two way centres in the league' I wonder why Muller and Julien didn't play him on the PP? :laugh:

You guys overrate Danault at your own peril. Well, at our peril. We lost the series in most part because our Cs were atrocious going forward. Danault played a major role - where is the criticism? 19 min in game5, 17:31 in game6... 2 shots, no points, even +/-. So much for his competitive streak, eh?

Don't hang your hat on mediocre players.

edit: I find it bizarre to imply I have an agenda here. What agenda could I possibly have regarding this guy? He's not a controversial player at all. He's just extremely overrated and full of himself. He didn't show up to play and after this unfulfilling playoffs I would absolutely include him in a package for a better player while there's still some hype around him.

... Wow.

Finally, I understand your intention. You want to convince everyone that Danault is an important member of the Canadiens, and you're doing so that posting nonsense that only an utter moron would agree to. Naturally, you paint yourself in a corner by resorting to nonsense, bald assertions, fallacies, illogicisms and non-supported statements, and everyone reasonable realizes that getting rid of Danault makes no sense whatsoever.

You're smart. I have to admit it.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
He didn't play his heart out. He was putrid in the playoffs. And he was given good linemates. He didn't produce, he didn't play hard, he didn't focus. He wasted his opportunity with Radulov and Pacioretty. Why do you make up a narrative? You like the kid, good for you - you can't get to say he played his heart out because he didn't. He was brutal - not even invisible.

Enough's enough - he busted out of Chicago, he's extremely overrated here. Maybe we can trade him and get someone with actual heart and effort back. But knowing this organisation this kid's gonna be the next Desharnais. A misfit in a major role.

Excuse me for not wanting mercenaries like Weber and overrated nobodies like Danault stinking up the Habs. :rolleyes:

Do you have any criticism or argument to put forth or will you just cry racist every time someone points out issues with this team?

I know you have alot of frustration toward the organisation, we all do, but youre mixing things up here!!

The fact that he was put in that role and that you think he might become the next DD its not Danault's fault, its MB's, so blame the right person.

If you really think that he didnt succeed because of a lack of effort, you didnt watch him play during the season or you dont know that kid at all, his work ethic is phenomal. He was overblown by the situation its obvious!!

If MB can do his job properly, he's gonna be an excellent 3rd line center.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
people here want him gone because of lanuage. 100 percent.

Wow, really? I don't always agree with you but wow... I 100% disagree here.

I'm sure many are more than willing to call Plekanec and Emelin a cab as well.

If we're still going to play that card, everyone wants King gone as well.

Anyhow, stating on topic, I would rather keep Danault but no issue if we get a good return for him either. I'm sure if he were moved for Jimmy Hayes and his awesome 5pts at his almost $3m AAV, there would be complete outrage here.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyhow, stating on topic, I would rather keep Danault but no issue if we get a good return for him either. I'm sure if he were moved for Jimmy Hayes and his awesome 5pts at his almost $3m AAV, there would be complete outrage here.

... Can't tell whether it's sarcasm or not.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
people here want him gone because of lanuage. 100 percent.

I have no idea why posts like this continually crop up. They're the abortifacients for intelligent conversation.

No Habs fans eschew or despise players or management that are of French heritage because of racism. It's beyond a fallacy; it's grossly insulting. It's been used here ad nauseam as a pseudo-rationale to counter critiques of players or the deployments of players. It's nothing short of pathetic. The Francophobe Habs fan is as numerous as blue unicorns who defecate gold coins.

I can certainly understand why many Quebec fans are protective and somewhat defensive regarding their homegrown heroes. This team, at its heyday, was rife with French players, many of whom dwell in the pantheon of the NHL. Regrettably, in recent history, the number of those players has declined.

In a 30 team league, it's natural that players of all ethnicities and geographical origins are now spread out than in a 6 or 12 team league. It's a statistical certainty. If we want more Quebec players on the team (I'd hazard that the majority of fans do), then there needs to be a concerted effort to promote and improve hockey at all levels in the province, and for the Habs in particular to do a much better job scouting at the amateur and pro levels.

In the meantime, could we please stop posting drivel rather than espousing thoughtful arguments?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Danault sucks. He's an offensive blackhole and drags our two best offensive wingers down. But hey if you take a few laps every shift and chip pucks into corners, you too can be an ''elite third line center.''

Whatever on earth that is.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Francophobe Habs fan is as numerous as blue unicorns who defecate gold coins.

And yet, I often stumble upon posts mocking the accent of francophone speaking in English, or accusing francophone players of being given preferential treatment when it's patently clear it's not the case. Or subtly suggesting that certain media are inferior just because of language.

You've never seen a blue unicorn, but you've seen a player's wife publically call coaches "****ing french" and decided to bury your head in the sand and pretend it never happened.

For the priviledged anglophones, incidents like this are always downpayed. But for many of us who have had to suffer this kind of discrimination and those kind of remarks, it's grating.

Of course, the majority of posters are not discriminating like this. That's the important thing to remember and the reason a lot of us have not completely abandoned this place. But there's a shortlist of extremely vocal regular posters who have mastered the art of skirting the line and making it very obvious that they dislike frenchies, without the moderation doing anything about it. And they spread this poisonous, absolutely incorrect and ******** idea, which is irritating.

Jul 6, 2016
If habs cannot get a top-two centre via a trade or IF Galchy still got his head in his rear end next Fall, danault will have to play top minutes at centre, which is not the solution at all.

The guy can be an excellent 3rd line center with Shaw and Byron or even a pretty good second-liner with Lehkonen and Gallagher.

Jul 6, 2016
Danault sucks. He's an offensive blackhole and drags our two best offensive wingers down. But hey if you take a few laps every shift and chip pucks into corners, you too can be an ''elite third line center.''

Whatever on earth that is.

Great analysis... :shakehead

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Wow, really? I don't always agree with you but wow... I 100% disagree here.

I'm sure many are more than willing to call Plekanec and Emelin a cab as well.

But they're not comparables to Danault. At all.

Danault is an 800k player. Emelin is a 4M. Plenanec earns something like 7 or 8 times more money than Danault.

Danault is more comparable with the other kickass "coming-out-of-nowhere" Hab, Paul Byron. They're both bargain acquisitions (teehee. Bargain.) that kind of broke out at a late stage of their career. They are
extremely coachable players that can take the place of a more skilled players if need be.

That some neaderthal like WhiskeySeven wants to turn it around and say Danault is a big headed player that the Habs should get rid of is puzzling, idiotic. It's the other way around ! Here's a guy who costs nothing to keep, takes no room under the salary cap, never asks anything. Doesn't go all emo like Galchenyuk when his role changes.

Why would the Habs turn around and trade him ? Is anyone under the impression his stock has risen significantly enough that he will bring anything of significance ?

(notice, interestingly, that the comparable Byron doesn't get all this flack. I wonder why that is...)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Danault is an 800k player. Emelin is a 4M. Plenanec earns something like 7 or 8 times more money than Danault.

Danault is more comparable with the other kickass "coming-out-of-nowhere" Hab, Paul Byron. They're both bargain acquisitions (teehee. Bargain.) that kind of broke out at a late stage of their career. They are
extremely coachable players that can take the place of a more skilled players if need be.

That some neaderthal like WhiskeySeven wants to turn it around and say Danault is a big headed player that the Habs should get rid of is puzzling, idiotic. It's the other way around ! Here's a guy who costs nothing to keep, takes no room under the salary cap, never asks anything. Doesn't go all emo like Galchenyuk when his role changes.

Why would the Habs turn around and trade him ? Is anyone under the impression his stock has risen significantly enough that he will bring anything of significance ?

(notice, interestingly, that the comparable Byron doesn't get all this flack. I wonder why that is...)

If Byron played first line center I'm pretty sure he would get trashed on.

Take a look at the Plekanec thread and see how he's treated there, yet we're talking about a long time vet who gave this franchise as much as he could. What I got from W7 posts is that Danault's going into a pretty direct trajectory into becoming an overpaid forward playing minutes he shouldn't and before that happens, we should trade him. I don't agree, but from MB's and CJ's comments I can see it happen.

I'll say that I don't get the "full of himself" comment however.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

In regards to King, Plekanec and Emelin, I don't want to get into it further, but I was referring to the language/culture topic.

However, to your point, I am a Danault supporter. My reference to Hayes was about getting a slug if we traded Danault for him and the anger that would cause. Granted, he is a 6'5 slug so who knows if Bergevin sees value there...

Anyhow, I think we should definitely keep Danault as he does meet an organizational need as a #3C who can chip into the top-6 as needed.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If Byron played first line center I'm pretty sure he would get trashed on.

Take a look at the Plekanec thread and see how he's treated there, yet we're talking about a long time vet who gave this franchise as much as he could. What I got from W7 posts is that Danault's going into a pretty direct trajectory into becoming an overpaid forward playing minutes he shouldn't and before that happens, we should trade him. I don't agree, but from MB's and CJ's comments I can see it happen.

I'll say that I don't get the "full of himself" comment however.

Humm... Byron was used as a first line winger for a while, no?

Besides, can we wait 'till Danault actually gets paid before calling him overpaid or anything like that? Meanwhile, he's on an absolutely dirt cheap deal, and filling needs will absolutely cost money... that can be saved by putting someone like Danault on a 3rd line where's he's actually a bargain at 800K.

That doesn't mean he didn't play some real bad hockey during these playoffs.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Humm... Byron was used as a first line winger for a while, no?

Besides, can we wait 'till Danault actually gets paid before calling him overpaid or anything like that? Meanwhile, he's on an absolutely dirt cheap deal, and filling needs will absolutely cost money... that can be saved by putting someone like Danault on a 3rd line where's he's actually a bargain at 800K.

That doesn't mean he didn't play some real bad hockey during these playoffs.

Yeah, he was used as a first line winger, remember the reaction here ? There were people bashing him even when he produced at an over 20 goal pace.

But, that's not what I said. I said if a guy like that was our first line center, he'd have more than his share of detractors.

For the rest, I don't disagree. I like Danault and hope he stays. He's a perfect 3rd line center.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
One might even say he's an elite 3rd line center.

Some might go so far as to say he's the best player in the world at being generally okay at hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad