Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Considering that his regular line mates for this season -- Tatar and Gallagher -- are having career years, Danault isn't nearly as useless as some make him out to be.

Nail on head. The Tatar - Danault - Gally line must be one of the best ES lines in the league, especially considering how often they're on duty against opposing first lines.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Yesterday was a real stinker for Danault. On top of his own goal and the eight turnovers, he probably touched the puck 10 times in his 18 minutes of ice-time. He's playing over his head and it hurts the team.
My dear longtime friend ,
I'm in hope to help you and your understanding of hockey ; so i will give you a link that to help you to figure out what Danault brings to the Habs . I hope you will understand those basic explications .

Regards
Jappo

Phillip Danault Has Earned Selke Consideration - The Point Data-driven hockey storytelling that gets right to the point.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My dear longtime friend ,
I'm in hope to help you and your understanding of hockey ; so i will give you a link that to help you to figure out what Danault brings to the Habs . I hope you will understand those basic explications .

Regards
Jappo

Phillip Danault Has Earned Selke Consideration - The Point Data-driven hockey storytelling that gets right to the point.
Who says Danault brings nothing to the table ? There's a weird correlation here. Me wanting a better top 6 center to play with my elite RW and 2nd line LW doesn't = Danault being useless.

The problem is that Danault isn't good enough offensively, he doesn't cut it, Gallagher is for all intent and purpose carrying him, both offensively and defensively.
The other problem is that Danault is currently blocking both Kotkaniemi and Domi from more ice time, and obviously, better linemates. How do we go about that ? Danault is never going to be good enough to be a top 6 center, the other two NEED to be in order for us to be relevant in the NHL.
And lastly, there's the contract situation. Are you ready to pay Danault 6 millions a year ? Personally, I am not. This is what he's going to cost, this is going to be his value, but is it necessary with Poehling coming up ? Financially, a team should look to cycle ELC/RFA/UFA contracts to stay relevant and stay UNDER the cap.

There's just something about putting your eggs in the wrong basket, in this case, the wrong basket being Danault, Drouin, Petry.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Who says Danault brings nothing to the table ? There's a weird correlation here. Me wanting a better top 6 center to play with my elite RW and 2nd line LW doesn't = Danault being useless.

The problem is that Danault isn't good enough offensively, he doesn't cut it, Gallagher is for all intent and purpose carrying him, both offensively and defensively.
The other problem is that Danault is currently blocking both Kotkaniemi and Domi from more ice time, and obviously, better linemates. How do we go about that ? Danault is never going to be good enough to be a top 6 center, the other two NEED to be in order for us to be relevant in the NHL.
And lastly, there's the contract situation. Are you ready to pay Danault 6 millions a year ? Personally, I am not. This is what he's going to cost, this is going to be his value, but is it necessary with Poehling coming up ? Financially, a team should look to cycle ELC/RFA/UFA contracts to stay relevant and stay UNDER the cap.

There's just something about putting your eggs in the wrong basket, in this case, the wrong basket being Danault, Drouin, Petry.
Danault will not command $6m per. Maybe $5m long term.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has been a terrific player all season. He seems to be getting use to the cage, his last couple of games have been really good. He hits the 50 point plateau tonight

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault will not command $6m per. Maybe $5m long term.
He'll sign under market value ?
Zibanejad signed at 5.3
Scheifele signed at 6.3
Seguin signed at 5.75
Monahan signed at 6.3
Duchene signed at 6.
Couture signed at 6.5
Horvat signed at 5.5
Larkin signed at 6.1
RNH signed at 6.
Kevin Hayes signed at 5.2

Is Danault as good as those guys ? Nope. Will he compare himself to those guys ? Obviously. He's 100% getting north of 5.5

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Zibanejad signed at 5.3
Scheifele signed at 6.3
Seguin signed at 5.75
Monahan signed at 6.3
Duchene signed at 6.
Couture signed at 6.5
Horvat signed at 5.5
Larkin signed at 6.1
RNH signed at 6.

Is Danault as good as those guys ? Nope. Will he compare himself to those guys ? Obviously. He's 100% getting north of 5.5

I really really don't think Danault is going to compare himself to what some top RFAs got a few years ago. Doesn't make sense.

Why is this an issue anyway? Danault has two more years on his current contract, a lot can and will happen before he needs to get paid. Obviously his role will likely diminish too, KK is definitely going to surpass him when the coaching staff feels he's ready. Your blind hate towards Danault is getting ridiculous, I agree that he's getting overrated this year but you gotta admit he's a pretty effective possession player on his own and works his ass off out there.

Last edited:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I’ve doubted him in the past but this season he has really impressed me.

Congratulations on the 50 points. I didn’t think he had that type of potential when we acquired him.

He currently sits at 46 amongst centers for points.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Zibanejad signed at 5.3
Scheifele signed at 6.3
Seguin signed at 5.75
Monahan signed at 6.3
Duchene signed at 6.
Couture signed at 6.5
Horvat signed at 5.5
Larkin signed at 6.1
RNH signed at 6.

You forgot Mackinnon and Barkov

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Sure, but these two had shown more than a mere 50ish points season if I recall.
Yeah, with the exception of Larkin they were all highly touted top ten picks.

Those guys aren't comparables for Danault, but i do think he signs for 5 or so a year.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I agree we would welcome a better goal scorer at C in the top 6. Although I think Danault hasn't been a problem. He's a great player on a great contract.

If the logic is to put gallagher and tatar with domi because they are "the besss". You could do that, and you could speculate that that line will produce more than tatar-danault-gallagher. But to speculate that the general offense would improve becomes a tougher sell by that logic. Its funny because whoever plays with danault suddenly becomes our "best player". If drouin plays with danault ? Danault has our best winger. If tatar plays there, god dammit danault with our best winger! It never ends.

That angle also diminishes what ie: a player like shaw brought to his line this year. Great fit with domi and that net presence hasn't been reflected on all the stat boards but it certainly helped.

Danault AND domi will finish the year around or both over 50 even strength points. And we are here talking nonsense .

Kucherov has 47 powerplay points. Domi has 11.

Yes i'd love a 2nd C with more scoring ability, but there is no way you can say that 1) danault has had a bad season 2) that his stock is not on the rise and that his game isn't improving.3) that the powerplay wasn't the problem

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just heard on tsn690 a habseyesontheprize reporter saying, when it comes to shots generated versus shots allowed, the Danault firstibe is statistically one of the best 1st lines in the league.

This guy is really good. I'm really looking forward to the day he's our "third line" center.

Anyone still want to argue Eller's better?

51 point so far Danault should be a Selke nominee.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just heard on tsn690 a habseyesontheprize reporter saying, when it comes to shots generated versus shots allowed, the Danault firstibe is statistically one of the best 1st lines in the league.

This guy is really good. I'm really looking forward to the day he's our "third line" center.

Anyone still want to argue Eller's better?

51 point so far Danault should be a Selke nominee.
Eller never got the QoT or even ice time Danault got. Theyre both third liners that need talent to get propped up to top 6 levels, and even then, they dont cut it.

Literally any line Gally and Tatar are on will have them outchancing their counterpart.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Eller never got the QoT or even ice time Danault got. Theyre both third liners that need talent to get propped up to top 6 levels, and even then, they dont cut it.

Literally any line Gally and Tatar are on will have them outchancing their counterpart.

I think you're underestimating Danault's contributions, especially defensively but also offensively.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think you're underestimating Danault's contributions, especially defensively but also offensively.

Definitely, if Danault's overall contributions were as detrimental as many think there is no way they'd be one of the better lines in the league. He's not pretty, but he's steady and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad