OT: Philadelphia Union (MLS): The Edu Edition

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Union played their first preseason game. 1-1 draw. Played with 3 different lineups.

Seemed like top one was

Maidana-Casey-Letoux
Carroll-Edu-Fred (Nogueira still on way to the US. Would take Fred's spot)
Fabinho-Marquez-Williams-Gaddis
MacMath

Okugo who would be in Maequez's spot seems to be hurt alittle. Seems like first squad did a good job possessing the ball for most of the 30 mins. Edu also crossed it to Maidana who just missed the goal off of a header.

On the 2nd string, Jack Mac scored the goal. Also heard Ribeiro looked extremely good. Had multiple chances.

Blake got scored on but supposidly almost made the save from a point blank shot. Grazed his fingers.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I have no idea what the hell the Union are going to do with Blake vs MacMath...

I'm more of a fan of MLS more so than any team, but from the times I saw the Union play, I thought MacMath raised his game up to a much higher level last year than years past.

I think Blake will more than likely win the job, but that doesn't mean we've seen the last of MacMath in Union blue.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I have no idea what the hell the Union are going to do with Blake vs MacMath...

I'm more of a fan of MLS more so than any team, but from the times I saw the Union play, I thought MacMath raised his game up to a much higher level last year than years past.

I think Blake will more than likely win the job, but that doesn't mean we've seen the last of MacMath in Union blue.

Blake is heralded as one of the top goalie prospects to be in the MLS in a very long time. MacMath struggled mightily with high balls, especially crosses. He also is known to be very silent and not commanding the box when he should be. Blake is the opposite where he could talk too much at times but is extremely good in the air.

I do think Blake will easily be the starter (in the next year or so). Wouldnt be surprised if MacMath is traded in the next year or so following it. You can definitly get a super draft 1st rounder for him.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
Blake is heralded as one of the top goalie prospects to be in the MLS in a very long time. MacMath struggled mightily with high balls, especially crosses. He also is known to be very silent and not commanding the box when he should be. Blake is the opposite where he could talk too much at times but is extremely good in the air.

I do think Blake will easily be the starter (in the next year or so). Wouldnt be surprised if MacMath is traded in the next year or so following it. You can definitly get a super draft 1st rounder for him.

Agreed - MacMath had good numbers last year and there are teams with goalie issues. The MLS draft isn't like other sports drafts -- you don't get the next Sidney Crosby, Mike Trout, Jabari Parker, etc out of these drafts because the best players are overseas.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Union played their first preseason game. 1-1 draw. Played with 3 different lineups.

Seemed like top one was

Maidana-Casey-Letoux
Carroll-Edu-Fred (Nogueira still on way to the US. Would take Fred's spot)
Fabinho-Marquez-Williams-Gaddis
MacMath

Okugo who would be in Maequez's spot seems to be hurt alittle. Seems like first squad did a good job possessing the ball for most of the 30 mins. Edu also crossed it to Maidana who just missed the goal off of a header.

On the 2nd string, Jack Mac scored the goal. Also heard Ribeiro looked extremely good. Had multiple chances.

Blake got scored on but supposidly almost made the save from a point blank shot. Grazed his fingers.

As long as this means no more Danny Cruz.

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD
Agreed - MacMath had good numbers last year and there are teams with goalie issues. The MLS draft isn't like other sports drafts -- you don't get the next Sidney Crosby, Mike Trout, Jabari Parker, etc out of these drafts because the best players are overseas.

And there is a HUGE dropoff after the first 10 or so players. Chandler Hoffman...Greg Jordan... Okai...Anding...etc. The list of no names from past drafts is what it is. It's pretty much just luck of the draw after the first 10 or so, so if you have a pick up there, just take the best.

So just have them duke it out and move on.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
If only we had Valdes back. This team would look a lot better in the back end.

I like Fabinho, Okugo and Williams.

If we had
Fabinho-Okugo-Valdes-Williams

That could be one of the best backfields in the mls.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So Union played in a scrimmage today. Fairly certain they lost. Some good and bad. Good is our midfield was EXTREMELY good. All three new guys are looking very good. Edu is controlling it extremely well in the middle and Maidana and Nogueira were flying all over. Carroll struggled... alot in the middle. Danny Cruz was uptop with Jack Mac and literally brought him down. Casey or Letoux should of been there. On defense, as a whole, was terrible. This will be our big game changer. We have a good goalie tandem, great midfield and forwards. If our defense was like it was today, it will be a LONG season. Fabinho looked horrendous. I actually like the guy but he is reverting back to his A League defending. On the first goal, he trips the rookie CB Marquez, which gives Henery a step over him. Marquez almost caught him but he played it by MacMath easily. Williams and Okugo were fine though. They really need to think themselves one more defender back there.

The whole game is right here if anyone wants to watch it.

Last edited:

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
So Union played in a scrimmage today. Fairly certain they lost. Some good and bad. Good is our midfield was EXTREMELY good. All three new guys are looking very good. Edu is controlling it extremely well in the middle and Maidana and Nogueira were flying all over. Carroll struggled... alot in the middle. Danny Cruz was uptop with Jack Mac and literally brought him down. Casey or Letoux should of been there. On defense, as a whole, was terrible. This will be our big game changer. We have a good goalie tandem, great midfield and forwards. If our defense was like it was today, it will be a LONG season. Fabinho looked horrendous. I actually like the guy but he is reverting back to his A League defending. On the first goal, he trips the rookie CB Marquez, which gives Henery a step over him. Marquez almost caught him but he played it by MacMath easily. Williams and Okugo were fine though. They really need to think themselves one more defender back there.

The whole game is right here if anyone wants to watch it.

Not good defending, and MacMath should have had saved the first goal despite the defensive hiccup. JackMac's goal was very nice and actually a great finish off the roll...looks like they actually got some set piece practice in early, which is nice.

Agreed on all points, except I'm not sure our goaltending is as good as you think it is, and I think our defense is not as bad as you think it is. Gaddis is normally stronger than he was today and I like Okugo on defense as he brings some skill back there with his defensive ability.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Not good defending, and MacMath should have had saved the first goal despite the defensive hiccup. JackMac's goal was very nice and actually a great finish off the roll...looks like they actually got some set piece practice in early, which is nice.

Agreed on all points, except I'm not sure our goaltending is as good as you think it is, and I think our defense is not as bad as you think it is. Gaddis is normally stronger than he was today and I like Okugo on defense as he brings some skill back there with his defensive ability.

I like Blake alot so i think he will be our goalie for awhile. Today he showed why he was the number 1 pick. Flat out robbed some goals today. MacMath not so much but he is still currently the starter.

Gaddis has some good offensive abilities but defensively i do think he has some questions. I do like Okugo and Williams though. Marquez hasnt looked better. Just without Parke though I do not have to much faith in this defense. Obviously it was only the first gane but they struggled quite abit on defense.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Couple sneak peeks at the unions new primary kit if anyone is interested.
Philadelphia+Union+2014+Home+Kit.jpg

Philadelphia+Union+2014+Home+Kit+2.jpg

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Start of the season tonight. 10:30 against a powerhouse team in Portland. Dont know if they can win.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Really looking forward to the game tonight, although I'm kind of mentally exhausted from that Flyers game :laugh:

Also: I think the new jerseys are hideous. Fire whoever thought that design would be a good idea, yuck.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
I wouldnt have been disappointed if they didn't score in the last minuet. Like if they scored 15-20 minuets before. 1-1 vs portland is a good result.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Good result regardless, but it should have been 3 points. Lazy defending in that last corner. Overall the team player very well and left a handful of good scoring chances on the pitch. Maidana, Nogueira and Edu all looked great. Jack Mac made a good play on the goal but looked a bit lost for the rest of the match. Back line struggled at times, but looked good at times too and was doing a decent job at blocking shots in the box.

Overall the match showed some promising things to look forward too for the season. Hopefully Maidana gets better and better with more time. He and Nog have some natural chemistry together.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Nice win today. First half played well. Second half -- hanging on. Wasn't pretty.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: