OT: Philadelphia Union (MLS): The Edu Edition

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. Season got underway last weekend with a nil-nil draw against Vancouver.

Home opener today against Toronto and they have an early 1-0 lead.

Started strong last year and then faded away at the end. Hopefully they can make the playoffs this season

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
After the very disappointing quick end to the Flyers/Boston Game, it was great to see them rather than go into a long postmortem, cut the PostGame Show short and go directly into the Union Opener.

I was going to start a Union Thread but was spared doing so with this bump... Thanks... While I enjoy Soccer, I'm not very knowledgeable with the Rules nor the fine-points of the Sport. With that, I still always enjoy watching it as I'm amazed by the skill and endurance... and amused by the theatrics as they all play Darcy Tucker and flop down as if shot, when barely or not even touched... But I digress.

The ability to a full steam control the all and thread a pass through a crowd... somehow seeing the path and teammate... I find both fascinating and near unbelievable... what they can do with that all is magical. The way they can keep up the pace exhausts me just watching.

Today's Game was very exciting, with two Penalty Kicks... one blown and the other going as one would expect... and was capped out with a late Union tying Goal after giving up a late Game Goal to fall behind... the tying Goal accomplished by a great effort and with great skill... There seemed to be more excitement throughout the Game, while the scoring was low.

... And all played in freezing windy weather in front of cold yet very avid and loud Fans on an Early Cold blustery March Saturday.

My hat goes off to the Union as I'm looking forward to a great ad enjoyable Season... that will be extended for me with the apparently lack of Flyers PostSeason play... I'll make sure to catch the Union during the SC PlayOff Games involving other Teams... and on through their long schedule. :yo:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Union lose their first game of the season 2-1. Had two great chances to tie it in stoppage time, one off the post and the other was a nice save off of a header

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
And I thought watching the Flyers was rough this year. This Union team may be relatively worse than the Avalanche.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The ownership deserves credit: they took a gold mine that had amazing support and through sheer incompetence sank it lower than whale turd.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The team either needs to be sold or fold. They haven't won a game since August and blew a 3-0 lead on Saturday. No one blows a 3-0 lead in soccer.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Better known as 'the throw the baby out with the bathwater technique'. :shakehead
Fair comment but his first part is absolutely true. I'm a Metro supporter from the beginning and I knew having Nick Sak involved with the Union was going to be a terrible mistake in the long run. The guy is a complete carny fraud without an honest bone in his body. They got rid of him but the damage was done. Their ownership is awful and just wants to do things as cheaply as possible. The result is what you see now.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Fair comment but his first part is absolutely true. I'm a Metro supporter from the beginning and I knew having Nick Sak involved with the Union was going to be a terrible mistake in the long run. The guy is a complete carny fraud without an honest bone in his body. They got rid of him but the damage was done. Their ownership is awful and just wants to do things as cheaply as possible. The result is what you see now.

Sell the Organization to another Group or Person who will keep it here and right the ship... 100% okay with that... but the last thing we need is to fold the Team because it is being mismanaged presently... Fix it!!!

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sell the Organization to another Group or Person who will keep it here and right the ship... 100% okay with that... but the last thing we need is to fold the Team because it is being mismanaged presently... Fix it!!!
That's what I meant when I referred to the first part of what he was saying. Meant the sold part of the first sentence, the fold thing was of course a silly overreaction.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Yea, was definitely just kidding about folding the team, but they definitely need to be sold. To not have won a game since August is down right disgraceful. They are definitely losing support and if nothing changes they are going to lose a lot of it.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Yea, was definitely just kidding about folding the team, but they definitely need to be sold. To not have won a game since August is down right disgraceful. They are definitely losing support and if nothing changes they are going to lose a lot of it.

I want to get excited about the Union, I really do. But I just cannot with the way they are playing.

And they sure as hell aren't gaining new fans this way.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I want to get excited about the Union, I really do. But I just cannot with the way they are playing.

And they sure as hell aren't gaining new fans this way.

As a "newer fan" I've been waiting for the right sign to get season tickets, etc.. but management last two years has not impressed me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad