OT: Philadelphia Union (MLS): The Edu Edition

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Just turned the draft on... I thought we had the 2nd overall pick, but apparently we traded up to #1 for a GOALKEEPER?!?

Can anyone fill me in on what just happened?

flyersguy33*

lol what?

that's pretty horrid, no?

I guess the signing last night means no Edu

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I'm trying to watch this because I want to get into the MLS, but it's tough when I know nobody that they're talking about...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
2nd and allocation money. Waste. Wevneed defennseee

Yeah it is stupid but at least they still have the 6th overall. They'll probably pick a striker.

I'm trying to watch this because I want to get into the MLS, but it's tough when I know nobody that they're talking about...

I know what you mean. I follow a bit but really I don't know ****.

I actually went to HS with one of the Union's practice squad/reserve players.

Edit: He's currently on Toronto FC though.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Just turned the draft on... I thought we had the 2nd overall pick, but apparently we traded up to #1 for a GOALKEEPER?!?

Can anyone fill me in on what just happened?

Probably the hottest prospect available for selection. He was a target for Vancouver at #3, so I guess the Union didn't want to take any chances in case DC was looking at him, as well.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Union takes a guy I like in Cope in the 2nd round. Some had him as a first round talent. Scouts think he is MLS ready also. Nice pick.

With the 15 pick we get a 6'4" Brazilian midfielder. Dont know if he is ready but they like his technical skills.

With the 2nd 2nd rounder picked up ROBERT DERSCHANG. Converted midfielder who plays left back. Has good skill but needs alot of work defensively. Has only played defense for a year.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I read at The Brotherly Game that part of what the Union got for trading back was allocation money, with the idea it would be used towards paying down Edu's salary. If so, I guess that makes sense, but trading up to draft a GK when there were so many other positions of need made little sense to me.

I'm kind of learning that's how things work with the Union, though. :help:

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
NEVER draft for need especially in the mls draft. Im very happy with this pick because i feel blake is the best player in the draft. I also feel Macmath will return a lot if we deal him to another team.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
NEVER draft for need especially in the mls draft. Im very happy with this pick because i feel blake is the best player in the draft. I also feel Macmath will return a lot if we deal him to another team.

I have warmed up to Blake. One of the biggest reasons because we grabbed Cope. Just read that Ives Galarcep had him ranked as the 3rd best CB in the draft. (Anyone who knows Ives knows what he is talking about).

On Blake, people are calling him the best goalie in they have seen in a long time. His reflexes and ability are top notch. MacMath has struggled with crosses and lobs.

People are already saying Blake will most likely start. Wouldnt be surprised if MacMath is traded soon.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/01/draft-board-version-3.html

Here was the top 10 rated players in the draft. We got 3 of them.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Seems like Blake isnt the starter. MacMath still is, according to Hack anyway haha

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...h-top-pick-blake-wont-be-starter?ICID=HP_BN_3

PHILADELPHIA — For the first time in the history of Major League Soccer, a goalkeeper was the first amateur player to hear his name called at the draft when the Philadlephia Union selected Jamaican shot stopper Andre Blake from the University of Connecticut.

What's more, the Union traded up to get him, outbidding several other teams for D.C. United's opening selection.

But that doesn't mean the 23-year-old Generation Adidas player will see the field anytime soon. Union manager John Hackworth stated that Zac MacMath, the 22-year-old who was third in the league in shutouts in 2013, remains the first choice.

Union has also Zack Steffen as their academy player. He is the University of Maryland's starting goalkeeper as a freshman and named the NCAA Championship Most Valuable Defensive Player. Also part of the US U-20 team.

flyersguy33*

Seems like Blake isnt the starter. MacMath still is, according to Hack anyway haha

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...h-top-pick-blake-wont-be-starter?ICID=HP_BN_3

Union has also Zack Steffen as their academy player. He is the University of Maryland's starting goalkeeper as a freshman and named the NCAA Championship Most Valuable Defensive Player. Also part of the US U-20 team.

Heard nothing but amazing things about Steffen. He also graduated from Downingtown so he's real local

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

I know a few teams (namely Vancouver) were very interested in Blake. I wonder if they're holding him for ransom.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Edu is a solid player, followed his time at Rangers pretty closely. Perfect fit in a league less technical like MLS and perfect fit for the Union. He's not very good with the ball on his feet, so that's why he never really fit in at Stoke City. He has a very good soccer IQ and is a very good defensive midfielder, great at covering lots of ground.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
It was tough to follow the Union last season, but bringing in Edu will hopefully make games a bit more exciting. But again, he is known as a holding (defensive) midfielder and I'm not quite sure how that makes the U a more competitive team. I wonder if with bringing in Edu, they're planning to use him in more of an attacking midfield role, having him replace Carroll, or maybe putting them both in a holding mid formation (4-2-3-1?) and playing a very defensive game?

I think using Edu for something he is not would be a major mistake on the part of the Union. Soccer is a sport where you are best served by highlighting someone's strengths, not putting them somewhere where they aren't used to playing and the skills are not a good fit.

Now that I think this through a bit...putting a lot of money into a defensive midfielder, no matter how good, is a bit puzzling to me.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
It was tough to follow the Union last season, but bringing in Edu will hopefully make games a bit more exciting. But again, he is known as a holding (defensive) midfielder and I'm not quite sure how that makes the U a more competitive team. I wonder if with bringing in Edu, they're planning to use him in more of an attacking midfield role, having him replace Carroll, or maybe putting them both in a holding mid formation (4-2-3-1?) and playing a very defensive game?

I think using Edu for something he is not would be a major mistake on the part of the Union. Soccer is a sport where you are best served by highlighting someone's strengths, not putting them somewhere where they aren't used to playing and the skills are not a good fit.

Now that I think this through a bit...putting a lot of money into a defensive midfielder, no matter how good, is a bit puzzling to me.

With the players the union have, it wouldn't surprise me that Mo sits in front of the back four, and lets the other 5 players attack all game long, kind of like Beckerman's role for RSL (less dynamic team, but he is a great security blanket).

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
With the players the union have, it wouldn't surprise me that Mo sits in front of the back four, and lets the other 5 players attack all game long, kind of like Beckerman's role for RSL (less dynamic team, but he is a great security blanket).

RSL has better attacking options, in my opinion. I worry about the outside midfielder spots and if you are going to push like that, you need to have skilled midfielders on the outside. You have three good forwards to rotate in Casey, JackMac, and Le2, though. Interesting thought, either way.

flyersguy33*

So did they actually sign Edu? I dont see it listed on their website anywhere or I just missed it. I only see it mentioned on blogs. Are the Union just waiting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad