OT: Philadelphia Phillies Regular Season: "I Hit Dingers -Alfred Delia." -Bryce Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How come the Braves, Padres and other teams, they bring up young arms and they are great. Look at Fried from the braves he looks fantastic.

why can't our scouts, development coaching produce decent players.

ever since arbuckel stepped down we have been awful.

Great question. Our farm system has been atrocious for years.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How come the Braves, Padres and other teams, they bring up young arms and they are great. Look at Fried from the braves he looks fantastic.

why can't our scouts, development coaching produce decent players.

ever since arbuckel stepped down we have been awful.

Max Fried was a top ten pick, so it isn't like this is some crazy insanely good scout who found a diamond in the rough. He was also traded by the Padres to the Braves. Aaron Nola, whom the Phillies drafted and brought along, was a Cy Young finalist last year so I don't think it is fair to say the Braves have a great scouting staff because a guy they got in a trade that was selected in the first round is pitching well but the Phillies scouts are awful because we don't have good young pitchers and just ignore Aaron Nola.

Great question. Our farm system has been atrocious for years.

There's not really an answer for that. Baseball is such a crap shoot. After losing their dominance in the mid 2000s, they have only made the playoffs four times in the last 12 years and haven't won a playoff series in nearly 20 years. It isn't like the Braves have a constant flow of young good arms that help them win. Most of those years the pitching staff had guys like Tim Hudson or Aaron Harang on the staff. There were some bright spots like Mike Minor and Julio Tehran and Jair Jjerjens who were good not great, but you can look at any team including the Phillies and find young pitchers pitching good not great. Going in to this year Pivetta was a guy I think most people were excited about and he hasn't had a great start but I don't think you can just write him off because he had a bad start and has to do some time in the minors. Even Efflin, Eickhoff, and VV are guys the Phillies brought along and while they aren't world-beaters, they are also not just scrubs that are holding a place until a REAL pitcher comes along.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Max Fried was a top ten pick, so it isn't like this is some crazy insanely good scout who found a diamond in the rough. He was also traded by the Padres to the Braves. Aaron Nola, whom the Phillies drafted and brought along, was a Cy Young finalist last year so I don't think it is fair to say the Braves have a great scouting staff because a guy they got in a trade that was selected in the first round is pitching well but the Phillies scouts are awful because we don't have good young pitchers and just ignore Aaron Nola.

There's not really an answer for that. Baseball is such a crap shoot. After losing their dominance in the mid 2000s, they have only made the playoffs four times in the last 12 years and haven't won a playoff series in nearly 20 years. It isn't like the Braves have a constant flow of young good arms that help them win. Most of those years the pitching staff had guys like Tim Hudson or Aaron Harang on the staff. There were some bright spots like Mike Minor and Julio Tehran and Jair Jjerjens who were good not great, but you can look at any team including the Phillies and find young pitchers pitching good not great. Going in to this year Pivetta was a guy I think most people were excited about and he hasn't had a great start but I don't think you can just write him off because he had a bad start and has to do some time in the minors. Even Efflin, Eickhoff, and VV are guys the Phillies brought along and while they aren't world-beaters, they are also not just scrubs that are holding a place until a REAL pitcher comes along.

The phillies had no pick that yr 1st rd, they took 2 guys in the 2nd who are busts.

Besides Fried, the braves started rookie after rookie this year.

other teams are playing there rookies that look great.

We stink, ever since Ruben took over we have been turrible at drafting and development

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The phillies had no pick that yr 1st rd, they took 2 guys in the 2nd who are busts.

Besides Fried, the braves started rookie after rookie this year.

other teams are playing there rookies that look great.

We stink, ever since Ruben took over we have been turrible at drafting and development
Do you know who the Braves took in the first round that year? Because I will give you a hint, he isn't in the majors so again, the fact that the Braves traded for a pitcher that was a top ten pick and the Phillies had second round busts doesn't mean anything. The Phillies also have a slew of solid prospects or young players they got in the draft or via trade. Baseball draft picks are a crapshoot but the Phillies are looking pretty good right now and in the future thanks in part to home-grown prospects: Hoskins, Hernandez, Franco, Nola, Kingery, Quinn, Altherr, Dominguez, Arano, etc. Of all positions pitcher is the hardest to really project so again I think it is unfair to say that we have "bad" scouts because look around the league and see all the teams without young home-grown pitchers lighting up their rotation. The Braves are trotting out a bunch of rookies and young pitchers, but it isn't like they are all well established world-beaters groomed by the Braves. Fried was acquired via trade, Tehran is good and home-grown but he's been around forever, Gausman is not a Braves prospect by any means, and who else is out there? Touki Toussaint and his 8+ ERA? Sean Newcomb isn't exactly a superstar. Mike Soroka looks good, but he's a first rounder so again you would hope he was (last pitcher we took in the first round was just a finalist for the Cy Young). Kyle Wright looking good at 0-2 with a 7+ ERA. I bet if we put some 22 year olds in the lineup they could put up similar stats to these guys!

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds like Cozens might be called up to replace Quinn.

They moved Kyle Dohy up to LV from Reading, he's a guy that I could see in the majors this year, has looked good in the Reading pen although he needs some work on his command.

Should be getting Robertson, Segura and Herrera back soon. It sounds like Roberston is real close, Segura back by Saturday and perhaps Herrera by Sunday.

Reactions: Rebels57

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Everyones complaining about the pitching...but look how many games theyre being held to 2 or fewer runs.

If this is a team that needs pitching to steal them games theyre in big trouble. This offense should be scoring 4 runs a game easy.

The Big 3 of Rhys, Harper, and Realmuto arent coming big in these close games. Thats a much bigger concern right now than the pitching.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
The 6-7-8 in the lineup might be worse than last year. Injuries killing them so far. Just stay afloat. The lineup rakes when everyone is healthy. Really miss Kingery, Odubel, and Segura

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I am not a baseball guy, but was an Expos fan. But they were even showing all his batting practice live.

He is playing 3rd base, but yes, he is a little heavy. Certainly doesn't have his dad's body type.
It’s such a shame too. His dad was so fun to watch when I was kid. (only 24)

But stuff like this.

Reactions: Tripod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad