OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pitchers And Catchers Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Curious to see how this shakes out.

I listened to a webinar with Cubs owner via my school and he talked in decent detail about how they’re responding. Apparently 70% of MLB revenue is gate/concessions/etc, so by playing without fans for a reduced schedule, they’re looking at how much of the remaining 30% they can recover (~15-20%). Given recent comments by Snell and Bryce, I could easily see no resolution coming and the season being lost.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Inside Roy Halladay's struggle with pain, addiction

STEVE TRAX WAS in his office in Reston, Virginia, not far from Dulles International Airport when the phone rang. It was mid-October 2013, around 11 a.m. The caller was Brandy Halladay, and she sounded distraught.

"He needs help. He knows it. I know it," Trax remembers Brandy telling him.

He was Roy Halladay.

Trax, 54, had been the financial adviser to the Halladays since 2000 but by then had grown into far more than that. He'd become a confidant, a trusted friend. On that fall morning, Trax says, he knew his most accomplished client, arguably the most dominant major league pitcher of his era, was struggling with a "demon that had a strong hold on him."

Roy Halladay was addicted to painkillers.

He'd become dependent on the prescription pain medication he'd been taking to pitch through back and shoulder injuries.

My body isn't ready for this E:60. Roy will always have a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Inside Roy Halladay's struggle with pain, addiction

My body isn't ready for this E:60. Roy will always have a special place in my heart.
1453263756-c9a149a80d65b54c0e45dfb5a484679f.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
baseball is in right mess now
Boris can be a PITA but he's correct on this one. The owners are doing things to pad their accounts. IE-cutting the size of the draft; cutting down on the number of minor league teams and now looking for ways to reduce the salaries of the players. Some very short sighted things going down here by ownership. These things don't grow the game.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Keith Law whiffed on that one. I didn't even bother checking out HS pitching. :laugh:

:laugh:

Why would you? I spent a little bit of time looking into Mitchell, Cavalli, Soderstrom, and Bailey.

Then I looked into Hendrick for non-Phillies reasons because someone suggested he was worth a look. Holy hell, his bat is fast.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Then I looked into Hendrick for non-Phillies reasons because someone suggested he was worth a look. Holy hell, his bat is fast.
Yup. Strong too. I wanted no parts of him though. Especially in this org. 19 year old HS corner OF. Power over hit. Busy swing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So hard to get excited or be disappointed in baseball first round picks given how speculative it is, but I am really worried about taking a high school pitcher that had their senior season cancelled. Any other year I'd probably be pretty psyched about drafting a huge power arm guy but he's basically being drafted based on his junior season. Just a little risky if you ask me. Hopefully he has been keeping up on workouts etc.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
High school pitchers are the riskiest demographic, but not pitching as a senior doesn't really impact a guy like Abel. He's been established for two years now. You weren't getting anything out of him blowing away Oregon high school hitters. If anything it's less wear and tear on the arm. Most of the evaluation for high school players comes from the previous summer when they all play against each other.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Who wants to see some dingers? The two top single exit velocities measured in 2019 or 2020 come from two potential fourth- or fifth-round picks who are pretty one-dimensional, but draft models love them due to these numbers: Georgia Tech RF Baron Radcliff (116.3 mph) and Florida State RF Elijah Cabell (114.0 mph), both in 2019.

One more single-event leaderboard is for distance, and a lot of the same names pop up, with Radcliff's 471-foot shot ranking as the 2019-20 leader. Some new names that pop up: Arkansas RF Heston Kjerstad (446 feet) and SS Casey Martin (442 feet, which is a somewhat shocking number considering Martin is an 80-grade runner who can play a solid shortstop).
From spin rate stars to exit velo kings: TrackMan reveals MLB draft's metric standouts

Third and fifth round picks. Of course they come with 30% college strikeout rates this year. Swinging for the fences. Literally.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
From spin rate stars to exit velo kings: TrackMan reveals MLB draft's metric standouts

Third and fifth round picks. Of course they come with 30% college strikeout rates this year. Swinging for the fences. Literally.

I'll take Joey Gallo from a 5th round pick. I think Martin is more likely to hit for a better average than Radcliff... but given he chance of MLB picks actually turning into regular players saying neither will ever be a starter in the MLB is more likely.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'll take Joey Gallo from a 5th round pick. I think Martin is more likely to hit for a better average than Radcliff... but given he chance of MLB picks actually turning into regular players saying neither will ever be a starter in the MLB is more likely.
A good outcome for Martin is probably a middle of the diamond utility player. K rates are high but at least they are coming from the SEC. Probably not going to hit consistently enough to be a regular but speed and power can often be carrying tools for guys that can stick up the middle.

Radcliff was an extreme 3 outcome guy in the ACC. I can't imagine he's not pushing 40% K rates in the minors which probably means he's not a big leaguer, especially if he can't stick in the OF, but he should be fun at least. Cozens-esque.

This is certainly the Trackman Era of baseball.

Reactions: wankstifier

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Baseball is dead. RIP.

Manfred is likely going to install a 48 game season after the sides can’t agree to anything and then next year the players will strike.

No coming back from that one.
Honestly I've been saying with my friends and whatnot that I think this is going to be the catalyst for the strike

"Well I mean we already lost half the season, so we're just not going to come back"

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Honestly I've been saying with my friends and whatnot that I think this is going to be the catalyst for the strike

"Well I mean we already lost half the season, so we're just not going to come back"

Yea. If there was ever a situation to have the players strike. Force an extremely short season on them, reduce their salary based on that. (I think last was owners offering 81% with a full playoffs). So you're getting slightly less than 1/3 of your salary because of playing 48-51 games and then getting like 20% less of that 1/3 because of the further reduction.

Players will just strike.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yea. If there was ever a situation to have the players strike. Force an extremely short season on them, reduce their salary based on that. (I think last was owners offering 81% with a full playoffs). So you're getting slightly less than 1/3 of your salary because of playing 48-51 games and then getting like 20% less of that 1/3 because of the further reduction.

Players will just strike.

If they force the 48 game schedule on them they have to get paid 100% of their 48/162 salary.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Baseball is dead. RIP.

Manfred is likely going to install a 48 game season after the sides can’t agree to anything and then next year the players will strike.

No coming back from that one.

Fans were pissed after the 94 strike that didn’t get resolved until just before the 95 season. I agree, there is no coming back. The next strike will make the 94 negotiations look like a walk in the park.
It is all about greed. The only ones who suffer are the fans. I will not shed one tear for money lost by the MLBPA and the owners.
They can all f*** themselves as far as I’m concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad