OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pitchers And Catchers Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In fairness, I am pretty sure the point of any suspension in professional sports is the monetary punishment. They aren't trying to make them sad because they don't get to go to the ballpark every day, they are hurting them by taking away their income. Whether you think the punishment is fair or not, I think it would be more unfair to say, "Hey you are suspended for a year," then be like, "PSYCHE! Now it's two years!" I can't imagine the player's union letting that stand under any circumstances.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Does anyone know where I can find a video of Willie Stargell's homer at the vet that they marked with the "S" up in the 600 level? I can find plenty of articles about it and pictures of the "S" but no video of the homer itself.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
5 round draft saves teams money and goes hand-in-hand with the minor league contraction.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So are they kind of shifting to where the NCAA gets more of these kids out of high school now acting as their unofficial free of charge development system?
Not sure. I think the plan was to go back to 40 rounds (or something close to the norm) eventually and replace the international signing period with an actual draft. They may just turn the lower minors into a glorified extended spring training where they just have inter-squad scrimmages and play other local complexes until guys are ready to be promoted. I haven't been following too closely though.

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of college kids took the 20k rather than deal with potentially getting squeezed out by recruits and losing even more leverage next year and getting forced into signing for 5k and delaying their pro career. Not to mention the uncertainty of college sports.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->