OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pitchers And Catchers Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Goodell & Silver make so much money in their sports it doesn’t really matter what they do.

Silver doesn’t nearly have to straddle the line when it comes to political issues here in the US when they come up given the demographics of his league. But as we saw with China he bows down to the mighty dollar.

It was easy for him to oust Donald Sterling & move the All-Star game out of North Carolina when it didn’t hurt their bottom line. It was easy PR with no lost opportunity cost.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If the NHL and NBA decided not to go up against the NFL and start their regular season on January 1, they could run their seasons and POs to end on July 4. The NFL would restart with their preseason at the end of July. No need for baseball on the annual sports calendar. MLB ownership needs to get hip to how irrelevant they could be if not already are.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Baseball’s a regional sport with a 165 games a year with like 3 hourish games that can have some really dead moments in there. It’s a huge commitment as a fan even in the most general sense not factoring in the quality of a team.

I even like baseball & played it the most of any sport on top of having a dad who’s basically part of their top demographic at this point & even my interest level is dropping over the years.

So baseball had major challenges even before all of this. Even before COVID-19 it was pretty good bet they were headed towards a lockout when their current CBA is up. This just another situation that added to the fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
For all those outraged by the Astros scandal and perceived light punishment, I assume you will be calling for Joe Girardi's head if it turns out he was involved in whatever this Yankees sign stealing scandal is, right?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
of course, why wouldnt anyone?
Because he is the Phillies manager and not another team's! I sincerely doubt that there will be widespread requests from Phillies fans to punish (or fire or ban) Girardi if he is implicated in something. I said from the beginning that every team is likely doing what the Astros are doing (or some form of it) but the Astros just happened to get caught. Phillies got caught back in 2010 or so I believe. Looks like the Yankees are going to get busted, and I am sure more teams will as well at some point.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Because he is the Phillies manager and not another team's! I sincerely doubt that there will be widespread requests from Phillies fans to punish (or fire or ban) Girardi if he is implicated in something. I said from the beginning that every team is likely doing what the Astros are doing (or some form of it) but the Astros just happened to get caught. Phillies got caught back in 2010 or so I believe. Looks like the Yankees are going to get busted, and I am sure more teams will as well at some point.
i think two of the caveats to all teams do it was to the degree they did it too... But also WHEN they did it.

In September 2017, after the Boston Red Sox were fined for using a smartwatch to try to steal signs, Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred issued a memo to all 30 clubs warning that future incidents of electronic sign stealing "will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks".[6]

So teams continuing to do it AFTER that warning carries an elevated degree of public consternation and are also what MLB uses to decide to go after.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
i think two of the caveats to all teams do it was to the degree they did it too... But also WHEN they did it.

In September 2017, after the Boston Red Sox were fined for using a smartwatch to try to steal signs, Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred issued a memo to all 30 clubs warning that future incidents of electronic sign stealing "will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks".[6]

So teams continuing to do it AFTER that warning carries an elevated degree of public consternation and are also what MLB uses to decide to go after.
I'm not sure why this would matter. Those that were so incensed about the Astros only cared about the impact on the game, not whether or not they knew they would be punished. If the Astros are legendary cheaters with people calling for harsher punishments (maybe even some calling for lifetime bans...I would have to look back), why would the timing matter? You are a cheater if you cheat today or if you cheated a couple years ago.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Managers are the most replaceable part of a baseball team in 2020. So I wouldn’t really care as much I cared that Hinch & Cora got fired (which was nothing). That’s not an impactful punishment to the team/organization.

I didn’t even give a shit about the Kapler firing & the Girardi hiring in the first place.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Don't get me wrong, Manfred's terrible. But it feels instructive that part of the reason he took so long to confirm was that a significant group of owners thought he was too soft on labor. He's responsible for the execution, not the sentiment.

The grievance issue is screaming that they know they'd lose given the verbiage of the March agreement. Leaning on an off-books understanding to renegotiate certain portions of that is as bush league as it gets. If you wanted that clause in there, you had your chance.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They argue about what to do with revenue and how to prorate player salaries

Meanwhile, there won't be any revenue or salaries paid at all

Genius!

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How is this even possible? Didn't the players just say "f*** it" the other day and tell the commish to order everyone back to work pursuant to the March agreement? Is he just not going to do it?

The players believe that it’s just another stall tactic because they could fit in a longer season right now then the owners want if Manfred forced them back now.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The players believe that it’s just another stall tactic because they could fit in a longer season right now then the owners want if Manfred forced them back now.
I honestly don't understand this and maybe I missed something. I thought the March agreement had some kind of clause that said if an agreement can't be reached the season will basically just kind of fire up without a specific agreement and the commish just sets the terms (the reason for this being that it guarantees a season in case one side or the other is being unreasonable). Isn't Manfred supposed to be some legendary negotiator or something? UGH

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I honestly don't understand this and maybe I missed something. I thought the March agreement had some kind of clause that said if an agreement can't be reached the season will basically just kind of fire up without a specific agreement and the commish just sets the terms (the reason for this being that it guarantees a season in case one side or the other is being unreasonable). Isn't Manfred supposed to be some legendary negotiator or something? UGH

He can, but the owners only want to spend a certain amount of money which equates to ~48 games of the full pro-rated salary. If they started “now” with that amount of games the players could file a grievance that more games could be fit in the schedule so as it stands the owners are delaying until that point.

In the end both sides are acting in bad faith and they can all f*** off.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He can, but the owners only want to spend a certain amount of money which equates to ~48 games of the full pro-rated salary. If they started “now” with that amount of games the players could file a grievance that more games could be fit in the schedule so as it stands the owners are delaying until that point.

In the end both sides are acting in bad faith and they can all f*** off.
Ahh gotcha. Yeah this is really f***ing irritating. I will say, I am definitely more in line with the players. I honestly haven't followed it too closely, but it is my understanding that they just want to be paid their pro-rated salaries while the owners want to pay them less than that? If that is the only sticking point (or the main one) I think blame can be placed solely on the owners. But again I have really only read headlines and heard them talk about it on the radio.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ahh gotcha. Yeah this is really f***ing irritating. I will say, I am definitely more in line with the players. I honestly haven't followed it too closely, but it is my understanding that they just want to be paid their pro-rated salaries while the owners want to pay them less than that? If that is the only sticking point (or the main one) I think blame can be placed solely on the owners. But again I have really only read headlines and heard them talk about it on the radio.

There was an agreement in March between MLB and the MLBPA that included a clause stipulating pro-rata salary. MLB contends there was an understanding that this would be re-negotiated if fans were not allowed into ballparks. Whether or not you believe this to be the case, it was not included in the agreement. In fact, despite all the posturing from people like Buster Olney, here's a quote from a May 22nd letter from MLB's counsel to the MLBPA:

Pat Houlihan said:
We agree with the Association that, under the Agreement, players are not required to accept less than their full prorated salary.

TLDR; Jerry Reinsdorf and whoever else is following him is probably most to blame here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad