OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2017 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Old Petey just loves Cameron Rupp. He can't help himself.

Alfaro was called up on 8/5. Since then, Alfaro has 61 plate appearances. Rupp has 67.

It is a 100% known fact that Rupp is not the catcher of the future.

What the **** does he have more PA than Alfaro is a dead season?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

Alfaro was called up on 8/5. Since then, Alfaro has 61 plate appearances. Rupp has 67.

My guess is, because Alfaro is still pretty raw in terms of game management and pitch calling, they're not going to give him any back-to-backs in order to go over previous game film and give him more time to learn. There are so many intricacies to catching, unlike playing the majority of positions in the field. For a guy who is relatively new to catching, it makes sense that he's only playing 50% of the games.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My guess is, because Alfaro is still pretty raw in terms of game management and pitch calling, they're not going to give him any back-to-backs in order to go over previous game film and give him more time to learn. There are so many intricacies to catching, unlike playing the majority of positions in the field. For a guy who is relatively new to catching, it makes sense that he's only playing 50% of the games.

4,400 innings of Catcher is new to the position?

Rupp has 5,600.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Caught some of the LV game last night, from the 9th till the end. Walding smoked one that just missed going out in his AAA debut but the RF made a heck of a catch before that so Stassi had to wait and see so it ended up only being a single. Tocci with the big hit to win the game. Going to be interesting to see if they protect him or not. Kingery with a big night. Can't wait till he's up with the phils.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Crawford at SS. Galvis riding pine

Franco back in. This line up is almost at best possible. Only waiting on Altherr.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How is next year's draft looking? Phillies could use a generational talent like a Harper/Strasburg/Correa/Bryant

from what I understand, it's deep but no one really sticking out at the top. So the phillies don't really need the 1st overall if that's how it ends up. Granted they get more money to sign if they get the 1st overall but it sounds like if they end up with a top 3 pick they will still be in a very good spot

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
from what I understand, it's deep but no one really sticking out at the top. So the phillies don't really need the 1st overall if that's how it ends up. Granted they get more money to sign if they get the 1st overall but it sounds like if they end up with a top 3 pick they will still be in a very good spot

Yeah with baseball unless there's a Strasburg or Harper it is a crap shoot (at least in terms of impact players).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This is a preview of what we might see next year. This lineup could be really frigging good. Klentak desperately needs to find some pitching.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
How is next year's draft looking? Phillies could use a generational talent like a Harper/Strasburg/Correa/Bryant

Harper/Strasburg were on a different level at draft time than the other two. Correa wasn't even the consensus top talent in the draft; the Astros took him to save some $ on that pick.

There's no Harper in this draft but hopefully someone will emerge as Bryant-like. Then again, the Phillies might not even pick first since the Giants and White Sox are breathing down their necks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I saw the top college arm right now is Brady Singer from Florida. He's not a typical three year college kid as he was actually drafted high out of high school in the second round by Toronto in 2015.

But that could obviously change come next June.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Alfaro isn't ready to start in the majors, he's raw as both a catcher and as a hitter (check the bad pitches he chases, ML pitchers aren't going to give him anything to hit once they see his film).

Rupp is a legitimate starting ML catcher, middle of the pack, but good arm, good power, struggles at times with contact.

Knapp and Alfaro have the athleticism to play other positions, Alfaro could do fine in RF with his speed and arm. So I expect them to carry 3 catchers next year as Alfaro is out of options.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Alfaro isn't ready to start in the majors, he's raw as both a catcher and as a hitter (check the bad pitches he chases, ML pitchers aren't going to give him anything to hit once they see his film).

Rupp is a legitimate starting ML catcher, middle of the pack, but good arm, good power, struggles at times with contact.

Knapp and Alfaro have the athleticism to play other positions, Alfaro could do fine in RF with his speed and arm. So I expect them to carry 3 catchers next year as Alfaro is out of options.

Eh, Rupp is more like a cromulent backup than a middle of the pack starter. I feel like the team will clear up the catching situation via trade by next year. I don't think they'll carry three and I sort of doubt they'll go with a Knapp/Alfaro situation because of the lack of experience.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Hahahahahahahaha

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not middle of the pack...
6cfacc98c13191333a6140fb1edcc9a2.png

And Fangraphs doesn't include pitch framing in their WAR calculations, which Rupp is near the bottom in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad